TravelTalkOnline

Beaches

Posted By: Mia

Beaches - 05/25/2022 03:04 PM

Are any of the beaches as calm and clear (and wonderful) as Mullet? I know conditions change from day to day, but I'm referring to the norm. TY
Posted By: pat

Re: Beaches - 05/25/2022 03:18 PM

Friars Baie, Great Bay, and Grand Case Beach are often very calm but you really can’t count on any of the island beaches being that way consistently. We’ve gone to Mullet in the morning when our bathtub wasn’t that calm and gone back after lunch the same afternoon to find the waves rolling in almost borderline violent. Appreciate the quiet days and bring a good book for the others. In between? Savor the moments! 😊😊

Re: Beaches - 05/25/2022 03:26 PM

TY Pat. Are they all just as clear as Mullet?
Posted By: The_Lurker

Re: Beaches - 05/25/2022 03:54 PM

Mia, I don't think any of them are as clear as Mullet, but that's my
opinion. When Mullet is calm, we would spend most of our days there.

There were visits, that we didn't get any of those perfect days, and would go elsewhere such as Friars
and Grand Case. It's always a surprise.

And of course Anse Marcel!!
Posted By: pat

Re: Beaches - 05/25/2022 03:56 PM

Pretty much. Clarity there usually depends on sea conditions if I’m not mistaken. If there are storms at sea the water is apt to be murkier due to the sands being disturbed, but still clear enough to see what’s on the bottom at most beaches. At least, such has been our experience over many, many years and vacations there.
Posted By: irina

Re: Beaches - 05/25/2022 04:40 PM

Any one go to Baie Rouge anymore?
i

Re: Beaches - 05/25/2022 05:11 PM

I heard that Baie Rouge has no restaurant and no chairs.....?
Posted By: fabila

Re: Beaches - 05/25/2022 05:20 PM

Maho can be calm and very clear.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Beaches - 05/25/2022 05:45 PM

That is correct with regard to Baie Rouge, yes. No chairs and no restaurant any longer. You can rent your own chairs on island and haul them around to various beaches if you wish though.
Posted By: jazzgal

Re: Beaches - 05/25/2022 07:43 PM

Anse Marcel is usually very calm, no drop-off to enter water. Food at Anse Marcel Restaurant is superb. An expensive day, but worth every penny. It's my favorite beach on the island.
Posted By: GettingThere

Re: Beaches - 05/25/2022 09:02 PM

I would say from a “ clear “ water perspective Pinel is similar to Mullett.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Beaches - 05/26/2022 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by GettingThere
I would say from a “ clear “ water perspective Pinel is similar to Mullett.

If you can get there. Ferry is currently not operational.
Posted By: kccouple

Re: Beaches - 05/27/2022 12:18 AM

and save a ton of money
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Beaches - 05/27/2022 12:46 AM

Update. Pinel ferry is operational now.
Posted By: Ritchard

Re: Beaches - 05/29/2022 01:15 PM

For those of you concerned about sea conditions as a predictor of beach conditions, you can check with one of the nautical weather apps to see wave height, direction, and period. As a full-time liveaboard, I use Predictwind, but it's more than a beachgoer is going to need, so you could check windguru.cz.

If the swell is under a meter and out of the east, places like Mullet will be calm. If it goes a bit southerly, it wraps around the southern coast and gets quite sporty around Simpson Bay, Maho, and Mullet. North affects Anse Marcel, Grand Case, Happy, Friars, etc.
Posted By: CaribbeanDreams

Re: Beaches - 05/30/2022 09:34 AM

A few times over the years have had the experience of the water at Cupecoy beach being flat and soo calm. Those days made for beautiful memories. Rum punches and Jean Claude; my first island crush.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline