TravelTalkOnline

Great dinner at Sale & Pepe

Posted By: SXMScubaman

Great dinner at Sale & Pepe - 05/27/2022 12:51 AM

After 2 questionable experiences at old location years ago we gave it another try tonight. Very good service and food. Enjoyed the meal. I must say though the ceaser salad wasn't as good as at Isola but our main courses were very tasty.
Posted By: moontide

Re: Great dinner at Sale & Pepe - 05/27/2022 01:24 AM

Doesn't sound like you were overly impressed. We had a terrible experience at Sole & Pepe from beginning to end.when it was in their other location. Won't go into details but do you recommend we give it another try? We do love Isola and IZI for italian.

Re: Great dinner at Sale & Pepe - 05/27/2022 07:24 AM

Yes. You should give it another try if you have time. I still prefer Isola but I have developed a personal relationship with Marco and he adds a lot to the dining experience. Food is always good at Isola. Never met the owner of S&P so can't speak to that.
Posted By: KitKat

Re: Great dinner at Sale & Pepe - 05/27/2022 12:21 PM

We were at S & P in February, and were very pleased with both our meal and the service. Had never been to the old one, so can't compare. Isola is also a favorite of ours, but we will definitely go back to S & P again next year.
Posted By: Todd

Re: Great dinner at Sale & Pepe - 05/27/2022 03:33 PM

"I still prefer Isola but I have developed a personal relationship with Marco and he adds a lot to the dining experience."

That makes a major difference, I on the other hand have been to Isola three times and felt like I went there because it was an easy walk from La Vista and I was just another one of the hundreds of people that stay in that area. It wasn't bad, just was not an inspiring welcoming experience. I don't know a sole at Sale & Pepe and in all honesty if I did not go back that would be fine but I do seem to enjoy it there, food good and view is pretty good as well. The Nov Gang enjoys S&P so I ride along each year with a hesitance only to really enjoy it each trip. Izi, I liked the people and the food was good, I wish they had a better location rather than a strip mall. I prefer S&P for that area and Italian.

Again, the people make the difference. #1 reason why we travel so far to SXM. Food, beaches and weather are close behind.
T
Posted By: ScottW

Re: Great dinner at Sale & Pepe - 05/27/2022 05:21 PM

I know a lot of long time visitors who contribute to this forum have made friends with the owners/ managers of various establishments, which i think is great. However, I think the true test of a restaurant is the level of service you receive when you don't know anyone.
Scott
Posted By: Kennys

Re: Great dinner at Sale & Pepe - 05/27/2022 09:36 PM

One of our favorite .
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Great dinner at Sale & Pepe - 05/27/2022 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by ScottW
I know a lot of long time visitors who contribute to this forum have made friends with the owners/ managers of various establishments, which i think is great. However, I think the true test of a restaurant is the level of service you receive when you don't know anyone.
Scott

100% correct. When "regulars" (or friends) are noticeably treated differently than the regular/new customer, it can be telling and a turn off. When there is noticeable fawning and attention over a particular table or customer(s), it could be a valid reason to make a quick exit. I had this feeling a few months ago while at Lagoonies. It is not a trait that will encourage repeat business.
Posted By: Todd

Re: Great dinner at Sale & Pepe - 05/27/2022 11:34 PM

I agree, but you don't become a regular with out engaging the staff and treating them well. I have rarely felt that I was an outsider at a place, and only once that I can think of on island did I leave upset with the service or place. Many times indifferent, more times felt welcome and appreciated.

Re: Great dinner at Sale & Pepe - 05/28/2022 01:41 AM

I can say truthfully that while in Isola, Marco tends to every table welcoming all his patrons. Did not get that at S&P. Just an order taker and when food came server had to ask who got what dinner.
Posted By: Kennys

Re: Great dinner at Sale & Pepe - 05/28/2022 12:02 PM

The Owner is Chef Davide and he is in the kitchen most of time.
Posted By: jomarc

Re: Great dinner at Sale & Pepe - 05/28/2022 04:46 PM

Your reply reminds me of something that happened quite some time ago at a fine French restaurant in Marigot. The name and location escapes me, but I know it wasn’t at the marina or the oceanfront. Anyway, it was a relatively small place, with indoor dining only, and I’m fairly certain most of the diners were French. The owner visited every table but ours and then retreated to the kitchen. I expressed our disappointment to our waiter who stated that the owner spoke very little English. A few minutes later the owner came out of the kitchen and came to our table. He shook our hands, apologized and offered us complimentary drinks. We graciously accepted his apology and went on to enjoy a fine dinner.
Posted By: jomarc

Re: Great dinner at Sale & Pepe - 05/28/2022 04:50 PM

Happy that you gave it another try and that your visit was a good one!

Re: Great dinner at Sale & Pepe - 05/28/2022 05:19 PM

Wife just had her leftovers for lunch. Was still good.
Posted By: EdB

Re: Great dinner at Sale & Pepe - 05/28/2022 05:24 PM

In our three weeks, a couple of months back, we went to Sale and Pepe, not once but twice!! Both times we had fabulous service, the food was FANTASTIC, the ambiance can't be beat, and Davide is a wonderful host. Prices also are on par with any of the other nicer restaurants on the island. It has definitely moved into our top three restaurants on the island.
Posted By: BeachKitten

Re: Great dinner at Sale & Pepe - 05/30/2022 05:55 PM

I think pigs are flying and hell froze over! lol

Never thought I would see this from you Scubadude. wink

Re: Great dinner at Sale & Pepe - 05/30/2022 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by BeachKitten

I think pigs are flying and hell froze over! lol

Never thought I would see this from you Scubadude. wink

Well. I'm always willing to give places another go if others are saying they changed. Another couple that was with us when we and they had a bad experience gave them another try and said it was good so we tried again too.
Posted By: jollymonsrv

Re: Great dinner at Sale & Pepe - 05/30/2022 10:10 PM

Haven’t been to new location. But party of 12 @ old spot over 3 years recent loved it. Will try it in November. For oir 47 th Anny. Pax friends
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline