TravelTalkOnline

What about Anguilla

Posted By: o2bnsxm

What about Anguilla - 10/09/2022 01:00 AM

When we travel to and from the airport in SXM, we can usually see a large Island on the horizon. I believe it is Anguilla. Wifey is curious about getting there from SXM, and what attractions could be on the island. Is it worth the trip, or is it mostly just a remote island with no attraction(s)? Accessible by ferry, or puddle jumper (plane)? Just curious about reaching out from SXM to neighboring islands.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: What about Anguilla - 10/09/2022 02:09 AM

Probably Anguilla. Worthwhile going to.
Posted By: Fletch

Re: What about Anguilla - 10/09/2022 02:20 AM

Anguilla has about 35 incredible white sand beaches and about 80 different restaurants. It’s well worth a visit from SXM. You can take a 20 ferry ride or 7 minute flight.

St. Bart’s is another nearby island, also reachable by ferry or short flight. The island has a wonderful French vibe and often call the Paris of the Caribbean.
Posted By: jazzgal

Re: What about Anguilla - 10/09/2022 04:12 AM

Here's a link to the ferry schedule. You catch it in Marigot by the taxi parking lot. I personally like Shoal Bay East; it's the most beautiful beach I've ever seen. I go to Madeariman's; it's owned by the same gentleman who owns L'Astrolabe in the Orient area.

LINK Ferry Schedule
Posted By: Colour1

Re: What about Anguilla - 10/09/2022 07:26 AM

Information posted on Google. I remember having to bring our passports.
"Do I need a passport to go to Anguilla?"
Entry, Exit and Visa Requirements

Generally, all U.S. citizens are required to present a valid U.S. passport when traveling to Anguilla, as well as proof of anticipated departure from Anguilla. This includes travelers arriving by airplane and by private sea-going vessel.Jul 7, 2021

Re: What about Anguilla - 10/09/2022 10:46 AM

Thanks everyone !! Sounds like it will definitely be on our agenda. The ferry sounds like a fun ride for a leisure excursion in itself. Thanks Colour 1 for the passport tip.

edited to add: Carol, we need a "like" button at the bottom of a reply to let the person who replies know that the original poster thinks they have added some useful info, or maybe a "Thank you".
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: What about Anguilla - 10/09/2022 02:54 PM

There is a like button on your post.
Posted By: IslandBoi

Re: What about Anguilla - 10/09/2022 05:33 PM

while we recommend visiting Anguilla, just be aware that the costs add up fairly quickly, even for just a day trip…besides the ferry price, something like $20-30 each way, there is also an Anguilla departure tax of $28 paid on the return ….and if you want to rent a car, which we usually do, you have to buy a “temporary driver’s permit” for $20 which is good for 3 months…car rental is like $50/day

we haven’t been to Anguilla since before covid, but definitely would like to go back for a night or two on a future trip
Posted By: vacanakey

Re: What about Anguilla - 10/09/2022 10:06 PM

One of the best days of my life was spent on Anguilla. We took the morning ferry to Anguilla, and then upon arrival caught a cab to Shoal Bay east where we spent the entire day. Walked down the beach and got a massage, had a wonderful lunch with a few cocktails and just enjoyed the indescribable beauty and colors. Such a wonderful memory for me.

Do it....

Re: What about Anguilla - 10/10/2022 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by SXMScubaman
There is a like button on your post.

I must be overlooking it, Scuba- I see reply, quote, report, and email post and of course edit. No "like"
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: What about Anguilla - 10/10/2022 12:57 AM

I'm really not a Facebook person, so I don't "get" the whole "like" thing, don't know why you don't just reply with your comment. But I think if you hit REPLY, on any post, then the 'like' button comes up.

Re: What about Anguilla - 10/10/2022 01:33 PM

Carol, I think it is just a way to acknowledge that the person took the time to post something to answer the question without the OP having to answer in a reply.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: What about Anguilla - 10/10/2022 02:11 PM

You can do one reply to all responses.
Posted By: candu

Re: What about Anguilla - 10/10/2022 11:25 PM

Our first one week trip to SXM, years ago, included two trips to Anguilla. Shoal Bay East is one ofthe most beautiful beaches in the world. IMHO
Posted By: pat

Re: What about Anguilla - 10/11/2022 12:14 AM

I love Anguilla, too, but I’ve reached the point where I feel it’s become a little too costly when you factor in all the expenses from morning coffee in Marigot, the cost of the ferry to and from Anguilla along with the departure fees, beach chairs, drinks and lunch, taxis or rental cars and associated costs and any other associated incidentals, you might incur, particularly when you’re leaving the gorgeous SXM beaches and to die for SXM restaurants. If I’m spending that kind of money I at least want to stay a few days to make it worth my while. But I can say that because we were blessed to have enjoyed it there long before it became quite so pricey. Although I do recall one daytrip that cost us a fortune because all we wanted to do was go to Scilly Cay for lunch.

Re: What about Anguilla - 10/11/2022 12:24 AM

Thanks candu and pat. I think I'm going to start taking notes so that we can make a plan on what exactly we want to do there, and how long we need to spend there.
Posted By: irina

Re: What about Anguilla - 10/12/2022 06:10 PM

When we went to Anguilla, we used to rent a room for a few days to mitigate the transportation costs.
Plenty of nice places there. From Top Shelf to cute little BnBs.
Shoal Bay East is one of the most gorgeous beaches in the world, in my opinion.
Cheers
irina

Re: What about Anguilla - 10/12/2022 07:29 PM

Thanks to all posts.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline