TravelTalkOnline

Looking for market artist on the island

Posted By: leonard

Looking for market artist on the island - 10/11/2022 04:29 PM

My wife and I are coming in November. She likes to collect pencil or ballpoint drawings of local scenes by local artists selling in outdoor marketplaces. She's managed to find them all over the world but we've never seen someone selling something like that in St Martin. Anyone remember seeing something like that? We're staying in Orient village but have a car so can go all over. Thanks.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Looking for market artist on the island - 10/11/2022 04:54 PM

There used to be a kind of bazaar, for want of a better word, in the square at Orient Village. I think it was on Friday nights? We got a signed and numbered print by a local artist there, a few years ago. Also, check out the market in Marigot. I think that is normally Wednesday and Saturday? I got some hand painted tiles there.

Of course, St. Martin also has some very famous artists, including Roland Richardson and Ruby Bute. Their works are more expensive, but if you're not familiar with them, they do some wonderful work.
Posted By: StMartinFan

Re: Looking for market artist on the island - 10/12/2022 04:05 PM

We purchased small watercolor prints a few years ago at the Marigot market. I think it may have been before the last hurricane so not sure if the artist is still around. I thought she said she had a small shop in Marigot too. I think I saw someone last November, too, because I bought a small notebook that had a tiny print embedded on the front.
Posted By: RonDon

Re: Looking for market artist on the island - 10/14/2022 12:22 PM

Some nice watercolors in a place in Marina Royal. Can't remember name.
Posted By: GaKaye

Re: Looking for market artist on the island - 10/14/2022 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by RonDon
Some nice watercolors in a place in Marina Royal. Can't remember name.

Antoine Chapon does beautiful watercolors.
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: Looking for market artist on the island - 10/15/2022 11:22 AM

Pencil or pen, I haven't personally seen here.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline