TravelTalkOnline

Jetways

Posted By: Docmont

Jetways - 02/22/2023 11:43 PM

Are jetways in use at the airport? Debating on checking my carry-on, which I never do, but I have an injury currently and wouldn’t be able to lift and carry my bag down stairway from the airplane.
Posted By: wildbill069

Re: Jetways - 02/22/2023 11:53 PM

Not anytime soon !!
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Jetways - 02/23/2023 12:02 AM

Not yet but if you're not able to handle your carry on down the ramp or stairs ask one of the flight attendants to help you.
Posted By: Kennys

Re: Jetways - 02/23/2023 12:05 AM

Sa la vie , but we will survive . I travelled way back and had to check in under a tent going to Texas .
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Jetways - 02/23/2023 12:25 AM

Docmont--I get where you're coming from. Depending on your actual physical condition, get wheelchair service. While wheelchair service is often very spotty is the US, it is OUTSTANDING in SXM. Trust me.

Other than wheelchair service, as others have said, there are currently no jetways operable at SXM, unfortunately not since Irma. The good news is that some airlines have ramps down from the plane (usually only at the front of the plane), so you can roll your carry-on bag down the ramp. Usually AA has a ramp at the front of the plane. Not sure about other airlines. So, if you can make sure your seat is close to the front of the plane, that is good, just go down the ramp at the front. If not, just wait till others get off the back of the plane, and head toward the front. When you are going home, just tell the people at the gate that you cannot climb stairs, and they will let you board the plane from the front.
Posted By: snuba

Re: Jetways - 02/23/2023 12:28 AM

United uses ramp also.
Posted By: dfmsml

Re: Jetways - 02/23/2023 03:07 AM

Not sure that the airline determines the ramp. I suspect the airport parcels out the ramps. For example, sometimes on American there is a ramp, sometimes not.

Re: Jetways - 02/23/2023 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by dfmsml
Not sure that the airline determines the ramp. I suspect the airport parcels out the ramps. For example, sometimes on American there is a ramp, sometimes not.

Correct.
Posted By: pat

Re: Jetways - 02/23/2023 07:57 AM

JB often is able to get the ramp, too. I think it has something to do with the arrival times vs ramp availability at that time.

And to further comment on wheelchair porterage,in SXM, I’ve used it at least four times now and it has been excellent each trip. The porters are very kind and accommodating and worth every penny of a generous tip.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Jetways - 02/23/2023 02:08 PM

dfmsml--The last three years we have gone on AA from Miami to SXM, there has been a ramp. I don't know about the other AA flights to SXM, from personal experience, but AA is going to have a better chance of a ramp that someone like Spirit or Frontier.
Posted By: wildbill069

Re: Jetways - 02/23/2023 08:20 PM

Ramps are hit and miss !!!
But as Carol said Wheelchair service in SXM is outstanding !!!
Posted By: Tonythepilot

Re: Jetways - 02/23/2023 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by SXMScubaman
Not yet but if you're not able to handle your carry on down the ramp or stairs ask one of the flight attendants to help you.

Not the job of the flight crew to handle passengers bags. If you can't deal with your bag, it should be checked in.

Re: Jetways - 02/23/2023 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Tonythepilot
Originally Posted by SXMScubaman

Not the job of the flight crew to handle passengers bags. If you can't deal with your bag, it should be checked in.

Not their job but I've witnessed them helping passengers many times with bags. Doesn't hurt to ask for help. Many are very helpful and under appreciated. I've even helped passengers with their bags putting them into the overheads and pulling them down for them. Kindness goes a long ways.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline