TravelTalkOnline

Bringing alcohol to the island

Posted By: Lancer

Bringing alcohol to the island - 02/27/2023 04:22 PM

Hello,

What are the regulations, airlines and island, on packing a couple bottles of rum in your carry-on? I know, I know LOL...we could get everything right there smile However, we have a local rum that we absolutely love (it's got a butter pecan, maple syrup flavor) that we love topping other rums with. Just a smidgen.

We plan on buying wine and rum on the island but if we can, we want to bring a couple bottles of this.

Thanks,

Lancer
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Bringing alcohol to the island - 02/27/2023 04:34 PM

Can not take any liquid over 350ml onboard in a carry on. Checked bag yes. That regulation has been in place for close to 20years. duh
Posted By: IslandBoi

Re: Bringing alcohol to the island - 02/27/2023 05:13 PM

well technically, if you buy the bottles in an airport duty free store you can put it in your carry-on clever

Re: Bringing alcohol to the island - 02/27/2023 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by IslandBoi
well technically, if you buy the bottles in an airport duty free store you can put it in your carry-on clever

True but only on a non connecting flight.
Posted By: Zanshin

Re: Bringing alcohol to the island - 02/27/2023 06:04 PM

And the OP wrote that they are bringing the rum "from home", not from Duty Free.

Re: Bringing alcohol to the island - 02/27/2023 06:43 PM

my comment was said in jest, although it is still 100% accurate....and you might want to reread the OP, i don't see the words "from home" which you specifically quoted, written anywhere in the post wink
Posted By: Zanshin

Re: Bringing alcohol to the island - 02/27/2023 06:57 PM

@IslandBoi - what part of the line "we have a local rum that we absolutely love (it's got a butter pecan, maple syrup flavor)" makes you think that this comes from a Duty free store?

Re: Bringing alcohol to the island - 02/27/2023 08:05 PM

as i said, my original comment was said in jest, and you'll notice it was directed, intentionally, to Scubaman, as this post is directed to you...i was just pointing out a scenario where bottles of liquor greater than 350ml can be brought in carry-on....but at least you're using quotation marks correctly now, and not using quotes on words that were not actually in the OP...and just fyi, while admittedly regarding travel in the opposite direction, Ma Doudou, a "local rum", can be found in duty-free shops at SXM, and placed in your carry-on...see what i did there? jester

this will be my last post in this thread....feel free to have the last word
Posted By: bdeeley

Re: Bringing alcohol to the island - 02/27/2023 10:54 PM

This measuring contest/cat fight petered out pretty quickly.

Re: Bringing alcohol to the island - 02/28/2023 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by bdeeley
This measuring contest/cat fight petered out pretty quickly.

As it should.
Posted By: bdeeley

Re: Bringing alcohol to the island - 02/28/2023 01:34 AM

It's not 350ml, it's 100ml/3.4oz or less per container and all must fit in one clear, quart Ziploc bag. Correct information, as it should be.
Posted By: Lancer

Re: Bringing alcohol to the island - 05/02/2023 06:34 PM

Thanks everyone. Good recommendation on packing it in checked luggage.
Posted By: CaribLee

Re: Bringing alcohol to the island - 05/02/2023 09:32 PM

Buy ten small personal bottles (1.7 ounce small bottles) at your local liquor store (whatever they have that you enjoy) and drink at your leisure. Then fill them with your favorite liquor and place in a quart baggie (tight fit but 10 will fit). Place in your carry on and take to the island. Never had a problem taking them through security. Just don't open on the plane.

Re: Bringing alcohol to the island - 05/02/2023 10:08 PM

Why take booze to the island? Pretty cheap on island.
Posted By: CaribLee

Re: Bringing alcohol to the island - 05/02/2023 10:51 PM

I was responding to Lancer who wants to bring some local rum from home. This is just another way to do it.
Posted By: EdB

Re: Bringing alcohol to the island - 05/05/2023 10:55 PM

Bringing alcohol TO SXM is crazy...even if it is a ''local'' favorite. With the wonderful prices of rum on SXM, why would anyone want to? I love a certain beach here in Florida also, but i don't think i would pack some of it's sand to take with me!!! LOL Kind of the same thing.
Posted By: Bahston

Re: Bringing alcohol to the island - 05/06/2023 01:05 AM

Oy, lighten up y’all.

I don’t know what the restrictions on bringing alcohol into SXM might be, but Customs controls are all but non-existent. In general, they’re looking for drugs, and at commercial imports. A bottle or two should be no problem.

If you want your favorite rum, bring it, but in checked baggage.
Posted By: Colour1

Re: Bringing alcohol to the island - 05/06/2023 09:03 AM

SURE!! pack your favorite rum in your suitcase. The lovely people from TSA will love you for that!! I bet that the gals that own Ma Dou Dou would be more than happy to make your recipe and design the bottle too!!
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline