TravelTalkOnline

Tourist almost robbed

Posted By: SXMScubaman

Tourist almost robbed - 04/11/2023 09:07 PM

These people are getting bold. Checkout the video. Might have to scroll down to see it.
LINK
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Tourist almost robbed - 04/11/2023 09:44 PM

How current is that video?

Re: Tourist almost robbed - 04/11/2023 10:11 PM

It was posted on the police site 53 minutes prior to when I posted link. All the comments are really current.
Posted By: kim

Re: Tourist almost robbed - 04/11/2023 10:17 PM

Very current. I was told last trip not to wear a chain!
Posted By: jollymonsrv

Re: Tourist almost robbed - 04/11/2023 10:29 PM

Yes even in cupecoy. A hole rice scooter a holes attacking
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Tourist almost robbed - 04/11/2023 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by kim
Very current. I was told last trip not to wear a chain!

It has been like that for several years.
Posted By: pat

Re: Tourist almost robbed - 04/11/2023 10:55 PM

So very sad. Best thing they could do would be to ban the scooters completely from the island. I know some innocents would be hurt by such an action but doing so Would solve a lot if problems including scooter deaths that seem to happen on a very regular basis, not to mention the scares unsuspecting motorists often have to deal with.
Posted By: BGH

Re: Tourist almost robbed - 04/12/2023 11:25 AM

You will never see scooters banned . Be aware and protect yourself the best you can .
Posted By: Zanshin

Re: Tourist almost robbed - 04/12/2023 01:14 PM

I don't think that scooters rob people, robbers do. If scooters were banned (won't happen) then those robber would choose other methods.
Posted By: bdeeley

Re: Tourist almost robbed - 04/12/2023 01:18 PM

There might be some very nefarious scooters out there.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Tourist almost robbed - 04/12/2023 01:28 PM

Yet, it does seem that scooters are involved in a very large percentage of crimes on SXM. Just sayin'.

Re: Tourist almost robbed - 04/12/2023 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Zanshin
I don't think that scooters rob people, robbers do. If scooters were banned (won't happen) then those robber would choose other methods.

Same can be said with guns.
Posted By: cruzer

Re: Tourist almost robbed - 04/12/2023 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by SXMScubaman
Originally Posted by Zanshin

Same can be said with guns.

Do you really want to go there?
Posted By: megamania

Re: Tourist almost robbed - 04/12/2023 03:26 PM

Aww thats too bad that this happens,,,,anywhere for that matter. Another reason to always be alert and do not travel around alone.
Posted By: mgh

Re: Tourist almost robbed - 04/12/2023 03:37 PM

I agree 100% with that statement Zanshin!

Re: Tourist almost robbed - 04/12/2023 03:54 PM

It does give them a fast easy getaway.
Posted By: IslandBoi

Re: Tourist almost robbed - 04/12/2023 03:56 PM

and don’t forget to ban cars, they’re always causing drunk driving accidents

Re: Tourist almost robbed - 04/12/2023 04:04 PM

cruzer--no, we DON'T want to go there. This thread is getting ready to be locked, if it continues in this fashion.
Posted By: pat

Re: Tourist almost robbed - 04/12/2023 04:50 PM

Sorry, Carol,

I guess we’re all entitled to our own opinions. The following are mine and I’m sticking to them!

As far as I know, cars just don’t have the same off road getaway options as scooters. Car drivers are less inclined to pass on the wrong side or weave in and out of traffic, sometimes startling the unsuspecting driver into near accidents or worse. Car drivers don’t usually get their jollies popping wheelies annd showing off. And car drivers are generally a little less foolish than the moped daredevils showing off when they do. Or perhaps l just missed it?

They will NEVER abolish the use of scooters and for the benefit of those who rely on them for relatively inexpensive transportation, I get it. But if they were to do so, I’m thinking the vehicular fatalities across the island would drop considerably.

Re: Tourist almost robbed - 04/12/2023 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by pat
Sorry, Carol,

I guess we’re all entitled to our own opinions. The following are mine and I’m sticking to them!

As far as I know, cars just don’t have the same off road getaway options as scooters. Car drivers are less inclined to pass on the wrong side or weave in and out of traffic, sometimes startling the unsuspecting driver int near accidents or worse.moCars don’t usually get their jollies popping wheelies. And car drivers are generally a little less foolish than the moped daredevils showing off. Or perhaps l just missed it?

They will NEVER abolish the use of scooters and/or for the benefit of those who rely on them for relatively inexpensive transportation, I get it. But if they were to, I’m thinking the vehicular fatalities across the island would drop considerably.

Well said.

Re: Tourist almost robbed - 04/12/2023 05:13 PM

Pat--I agree with your assessment of scooters and scooter drivers. What will get this thread locked, if it does, is people continuing with the gun analogies. Absolutely no reason to go there.
Posted By: Southshore

Re: Tourist almost robbed - 04/13/2023 07:20 PM

I watched the video with interest and would like to pass along a piece of advice given to me by my husband years ago. He came from another part of the Caribbean where ( not so jokingly) the national pastime is referred to as "choke and rob", with tourists and locals alike being relieved of valuables regularly. In the many places we visited, he always reminded me to carry my purse/bag/whatever on the side of my body that was away from the road. i.e. if the road and passing traffic was on my left, my purse was on my right side. I notice that the man in the video has his bag on the arm closest to the road, making it easier for a passing cyclist to grab.
Posted By: RonDon

Re: Tourist almost robbed - 04/13/2023 08:56 PM

good advice Southshore except if someone really wants the bag they'll get it. While in Italy I had my bag across my chest away from the street and a scooter came up on the sidewalk grabbed the bag and me along with it. He dragged me several feet before I could get the darn bag strap over my head so it could be taken off my body. Sometimes they just slice the strap with a knife to get it.

Re: Tourist almost robbed - 04/13/2023 11:05 PM

Good advice when applicable depending on surroundings.
Posted By: Colour1

Re: Tourist almost robbed - 04/14/2023 11:06 AM

IMHO, I think these two had words before the scooter guy came back for retaliation. Notice the father is turning around as they are walking, the scooter pulls up. Not a snatch and go! Yes, it's way out of hand with these renegades on scooters. Yes, there times and places you have to keep the "periscope" up!!
Posted By: lcote

Re: Tourist almost robbed - 04/14/2023 01:31 PM

The thing with the scooters is that they can get away faster...they can weave in and out of traffic or even go off roading and evade police. So, while the scooter isn't doing the robbing, it is certainly making it easier for the person doing the robbing to get away.That said, if they did ban scooters, I think traffic could be EVEN WORSE than it currently is.

Re: Tourist almost robbed - 04/14/2023 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Colour1
IMHO, I think these two had words before the scooter guy came back for retaliation. Notice the father is turning around as they are walking, the scooter pulls up. Not a snatch and go! Yes, it's way out of hand with these renegades on scooters. Yes, there times and places you have to keep the "periscope" up!!

I didn't see it that way but I wasn't there.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline