TravelTalkOnline

At the bar..

Posted By: Carol_Hill

At the bar.. - 06/19/2023 06:14 PM

OK, sitting at the bar, waiting at the airport. No plane here yet from Miami. Travel is such sweet sorrow! smile
Posted By: bluejacket

Re: At the bar.. - 06/19/2023 06:17 PM

Time to start planning the next one. Hope you have a great return trip.

Re: At the bar.. - 06/19/2023 06:22 PM

Just ordered round two, if I remember correctly the mia flight -- update mia flight just landed.
Eric

Re: At the bar.. - 06/19/2023 06:27 PM

bluejacket--hoping for a return in the fall, but got to get airfare that we can live with!!!
Posted By: Lancer

Re: At the bar.. - 06/19/2023 07:05 PM

Have a safe journey home you guys. We’re hoping our trip Saturday back home isn’t effected by the storm.
Posted By: CYOWDave

Re: At the bar.. - 06/19/2023 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Carol_Hill
Just ordered round two, if I remember correctly the mia flight -- update mia flight just landed.
Eric

Listening to PJIA ATC sounds like AA2219 to MIA has requested 28 for departure instead of 10; the opening bid from ATC was a one hour delay for 28 since they are using 10 for everyone else. Expect they will figure something out before too long.
Dave.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: At the bar.. - 06/19/2023 07:23 PM

Was there any explanation on why it was delayed?
Posted By: CYOWDave

Re: At the bar.. - 06/19/2023 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by SXMScubaman
Was there any explanation on why it was delayed?

The AA pilot said they required 28 for departure because of the aircraft weight, not sure exactly what the details are, terrain/obstacle clearance after takeoff and during initial climb with a high takeoff weight maybe? Anyway ATC weren't able to give them 28 immediately.
Dave.

Re: At the bar.. - 06/19/2023 10:09 PM

Was wondering why it was late departing MIA not PJIA.
Posted By: RonDon

Re: At the bar.. - 06/20/2023 12:52 PM

air fare to live with? You must be dreaming. Maybe with rising costs we all here should plan to travel together and make our own charter.

Re: At the bar.. - 06/20/2023 01:37 PM

Dave--I never understood that "28 versus 10" runway stuff, but we took off the "wrong way", with basically no delay after we got on the plane. A friend sent me a picture of the takeoff. Thanks, Lynn!

[Linked Image]

We arrived home around midnight last night. Tails are dragging today, will be a very short day at the office.

Re: At the bar.. - 06/20/2023 01:48 PM

By the way, they moved the Joneyburgers and the Dominos down by the bar, so it's much easier to get something to eat there close to the bar now. And the bartender there recognized us, even though we hadn't been to SXM in a year. blush
Posted By: crsxm

Re: At the bar.. - 06/20/2023 02:07 PM

Glad you are home safe and sound! Re-entry to reality is always a difficult one. I've found the bar at the airport to be a very pleasant experience with very well made drinks--but to be recognized there, well that's a whole different level of famous! Makes the journey home a little more tolerable.

Re: At the bar.. - 06/20/2023 02:16 PM

That same lady has been the bartender there for a while. A few years ago, we had a REALLY long delay at Juliana--something like 4 or 5 hours--which we spent at the bar, so she remembers us from that.
Posted By: NeilRooney

Re: At the bar.. - 06/20/2023 02:37 PM

28 vs 10 is the direction of the runway based on 360 degrees, 280 and 100. Basically, East and West or 90 degrees and 270 degrees
Posted By: jeepers

Re: At the bar.. - 06/20/2023 03:33 PM

You're welcome Carol! Not a bad photo since it was taken off the screen of my computer with my iphone. Glad you got home with no more incidents. Wow & you went to work today. We usually need at least one day at home to acclimatize!

Re: At the bar.. - 06/20/2023 05:21 PM

Lynn--Well, I just checked the mail, messages, and my email and beat feet home! Eric is still there, bless his heart!

Re: At the bar.. - 06/20/2023 05:22 PM

Neil--thanks. Which way is the 'regular' way?
Posted By: jeepers

Re: At the bar.. - 06/20/2023 06:16 PM

not Neil but most planes leave runway 10 from the beach end. Depends on the wind though, right,Neil? Lol. Air France is always 28 at least that's the only end I've seen. KLM usually 10. Can you tell I've seen a lot from my office computer!
Posted By: CaribLee

Re: At the bar.. - 06/20/2023 09:18 PM

The regular way is flying over the mountains. Primarily because it takes you away from incoming traffic.....although wind speed and wind direction come into play. As someone said, Air France almost always takes off over the beach. I think partly because they usually leave late in the afternoon when there is less traffic.

Re: At the bar.. - 06/20/2023 10:01 PM

Carib--yes, for sure the regular way is over the mountains. I still don't get the numbers thing, but I guess I have a mental block on that. I thought the numbers were for which way the plane takes off.

Re: At the bar.. - 06/20/2023 10:27 PM

" I think partly because they usually leave late in the afternoon when there is less traffic."
I believe it has to do with the extra fuel it takes for such a heavy load to clear the mountain. KLM, when they flew the 747, had to stop in Aruba to refuel before heading back to Amsterdam.
Posted By: Uksimonusa

Re: At the bar.. - 06/21/2023 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by Carol_Hill
Carib--yes, for sure the regular way is over the mountains. I still don't get the numbers thing, but I guess I have a mental block on that. I thought the numbers were for which way the plane takes off.

Runway numbers align roughly with the compass heading the runway faces. Runwy 10 is 100 degrees, where North is 0 degrees, the same runway will be 28, or 280 degrees, I did say roughly, as there are only 360 degrees in a circle, when it is used the other way as planes will be taking off 280 degrees from North.

Re: At the bar.. - 06/21/2023 12:49 AM

Great clarification and explanation. 👍Thanks.
Posted By: RonDon

Re: At the bar.. - 06/21/2023 11:08 AM

We've been flying from SXM since way back when that I remember when planes had to stop in Peuto Rico to gas up because they couldn't be full due to weight of fuel to clear that mountain.
Posted By: pat

Re: At the bar.. - 06/21/2023 02:37 PM

Likewise on PR. Our first flight was in ‘73 or ‘74 on Pan Am and we took off over the hill and headed to SJU. Only once in all our 48 years of at least once annual trips do I recall we ever took off over Maho Beach and it was pretty cool.🙂🙂
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline