TravelTalkOnline

Animal abuse at Morgan Resort & Spa

Posted By: CaribbeanCanadians

Animal abuse at Morgan Resort & Spa - 07/01/2023 04:46 PM

Great news everyone

The Hotel Zoo at Morgan Resort & Spa pet farm has been shut down permanently, and the animals housed there, including the 16 geese, 6 goats, and additional parrots, are now being safely relocated to suitable environments. Moreover, the hotel has faced consequences for operating the zoo without the necessary licenses and permits, receiving a well-deserved fine. Our reviews on Trip Advisor made a significant impact, as inspectors frequently referred to it during their investigations.

My wife and I posted this topic back on January 14, 2023. We were staying at the old Caravanserai building located beside the Morgan Resort and Spa. We were there for two months and were concerned about the animal abuse at the Morgan Resort & Spa pet farm, which our condo overlooked. When we arrived back in Canada I made many calls to the proper SXM authorities including the Netherlands Animal abuse Department and also the Daily Herald. I would like to thank all the people that helped on this topic. It shows that posting on TripAdvisor can make a difference.
Posted By: Kennys

Re: Animal abuse at Morgan Resort & Spa - 07/01/2023 05:34 PM

Great news , thanks and blessings .
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Animal abuse at Morgan Resort & Spa - 07/01/2023 05:54 PM

OK, I hadn't heard about this before, but sounds like a good thing it was shut down.
Posted By: MrWhiskerssammy

Re: Animal abuse at Morgan Resort & Spa - 07/01/2023 08:38 PM

Thank God for this happening--and Thank You to you folks for taking the time to do this. After all that has happened at that resort, and for everything that was taken away from the folks who purchased there in the beginning, I wouldn't stay there if they gave me a year free of charge!!!

Re: Animal abuse at Morgan Resort & Spa - 07/01/2023 10:10 PM

When my wife and I saw the animals being physically abused and go without water for twenty four hours so we had to do something. We went over to the Morgan resort to report all of this and they through both of us out. They said they were rescued animals and well taken care of. This was all BS. We're so glad that petting farm is shut down.The resort also wanted to have dolphins kept in captivity there in front of the Sand bar restaurant but the public got involved and said no. All our efforts paid off and the animals are free from that environment.
Posted By: Kennys

Re: Animal abuse at Morgan Resort & Spa - 07/01/2023 10:56 PM

Thanks very much for your positive input to stop this form of cruelty to animals.
Happy Canadian Day to you , Family and our two children and our first grandson Baby Zion Ira So.
Posted By: o2bnsxm

Re: Animal abuse at Morgan Resort & Spa - 07/02/2023 01:10 AM

Thanks for taking the effort to get this done. I know the animals affected will appreciate your effort.

Re: Animal abuse at Morgan Resort & Spa - 07/02/2023 04:07 AM

Thanks kennys. We appreciate it.
Posted By: MotownTim

Re: Animal abuse at Morgan Resort & Spa - 07/03/2023 01:31 AM

It’s pretty strange that a resort hotel that promotes itself as a somewhat luxury hotel would have a petting zoo. That’s pretty weird. It’s like “I had a great time at La Samana. I loved the rooms, the beach and of course the petting zoo.” Come on. That’s like bells and whistles you don’t need. Well done guys.
Posted By: Phyllis

Re: Animal abuse at Morgan Resort & Spa - 07/03/2023 03:15 PM

Kudos to you for following through and taking all those steps! Great job. Thank you.

Re: Animal abuse at Morgan Resort & Spa - 07/03/2023 03:46 PM

The whole Morgan facility is weird. We got thrown out of there for initially complaining about the animals and also not wearing the proper attire (no tank tops), they wouldn't allow us to go back through the lobby, only use the side door. The only reason they had a pet farm was to prevent the building in front of them (airbnb) where we stayed, install a swimming pool. Apparently, the owner of Morgan Resort & Spa owns SSBB, Sandbar, Mykenos and more. A wile back, they wanted to have dolphins in captivity in front of Sandbar but the local public did not approve so it was dropped.

Re: Animal abuse at Morgan Resort & Spa - 07/03/2023 03:59 PM

OK, I have no idea what having a petting zoo has to do with another facility installing a pool, or whether you were staying there or not originally? Regardless, glad that the petting zoo was stopped.

As far as the dolphin prison, there have been several attempts over the years to have a dolphin prison on SXM. All have failed, so FAR. As far as the proposed one at the Morgan, the location where they wanted to put in, on the cliffs there, was a total no-go because of damage to the corals there. Hopefully there will never be a dolphin prison on island.
Posted By: lcote

Re: Animal abuse at Morgan Resort & Spa - 07/03/2023 05:25 PM

I had no idea there was a "zoo" there but I am so grateful that you guys got it shut down!

Re: Animal abuse at Morgan Resort & Spa - 07/03/2023 05:35 PM

The zoo was behind their property in front of the building (old caravanserai building) now an airbnb, that we were staying at for two months. There should of been a swimming pool there but the Morgan building wouldn't allow a pool so he put a pet zoo there. They had weddings and parties with huge speakers literally ten feet away from these animals playing very loud music that kept it us awake inside our condo unit. It was hard on those animals, so glad it's closed now.

Re: Animal abuse at Morgan Resort & Spa - 07/03/2023 05:39 PM

Agreed, glad it's gone.
Posted By: foreversxm

Re: Animal abuse at Morgan Resort & Spa - 07/03/2023 08:36 PM

I like seeing tropical birds if they are taken care of properly. That Hotel is very expensive for the little they offer so no reason they can’t afford to maintain the zoo if they think they have to have one
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline