TravelTalkOnline

Violence in Sandy Ground

Posted By: Carol_Hill

Violence in Sandy Ground - 07/13/2023 01:21 AM

Daily Herald story

Very concerning, especially on top of the death in Grand Case a couple of nights ago..
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Violence in Sandy Ground - 07/13/2023 02:30 AM

Lawlessness is rampant worldwide. Social media causes a lot and news media too.
Posted By: lhbsurf

Re: Violence in Sandy Ground - 07/13/2023 03:54 PM

The politics of St. Martin are confusing to me. Is the President of the Collectivite elected locally and the Prefet sent from France?
Posted By: CYOWDave

Re: Violence in Sandy Ground - 07/13/2023 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by lhbsurf
The politics of St. Martin are confusing to me. Is the President of the Collectivite elected locally and the Prefet sent from France?

Yes (Wikipedia link)
Posted By: Colour1

Re: Violence in Sandy Ground - 07/14/2023 07:36 AM

It's plain and simple, the Gendarmerie want to put an end to the illegal scooters and the rider fled and got killed of his own volition. No one wants to see anyone get killed, but these guys are tormenting the public and causing major accidents everywhere on the island. IMHO, all these illegal scooters need to be confiscated and crushed and the sale of scooters needs to come to an end!
Posted By: MotownTim

Re: Violence in Sandy Ground - 07/14/2023 01:48 PM

I’m not a big fan of Sandy Ground during the day.

Re: Violence in Sandy Ground - 07/14/2023 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by MotownTim
I’m not a big of Sandy Ground during the day.

Huh???

Re: Violence in Sandy Ground - 07/14/2023 02:36 PM

Pretty easy guess that he meant to say "big FAN"..
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Violence in Sandy Ground - 07/14/2023 02:45 PM

Correct and I have never been a fan of the Sandy Ground area, day or night.

Re: Violence in Sandy Ground - 07/14/2023 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Carol_Hill
Pretty easy guess that he meant to say "big FAN"..

OK. Thanks. My brain didn't catch that.
Posted By: foreversxm

Re: Violence in Sandy Ground - 07/14/2023 04:55 PM

Seem like they (gov) just let them do what they want and hope they can calm themselves down. Hopefully before the tear up the neighborhood do much. Always something on the French Side. The World is not always happy. Look around, not just on SXM.
Posted By: singbeach

Re: Violence in Sandy Ground - 07/21/2023 02:29 AM

oh, okay, my husband did read on FB from JB "stay out of Sandy Ground" now I know why!
Posted By: Jeff thorton

Re: Violence in Sandy Ground - 07/26/2023 12:59 PM

I have walked the backstreets of Sandy Ground at night for years. It started because a lady friend of mine wanted to go to a latino bar there, but needed a man to go with her.

The reception was so warm, people went out of their way to help us. My nickname there is Pappy.

As in Quartier d'Orleans, when violence erupts it's turf wars between drug dealers. Nothing that we have to do with.

If you go to Sandy Ground, pay a visit to Jeremy. He runs an outfit called the Madtwoz Family Association. He organizes many activities to keep young kids off the streets. Recently, thanks to public money, he took a bunch of them to the main air show in Paris so they could learn about airport jobs.

https://www.madtwoz.com/
Posted By: Kennys

Re: Violence in Sandy Ground - 07/26/2023 04:44 PM

Blessings Bro and that very much for your constructive response and input .
Posted By: Carib_Ian

Re: Violence in Sandy Ground - 07/27/2023 02:55 AM

The French government has a lot to answer for. It has stalled on helping the residents of Sandy Ground. It has stalled on paying its fair share of the PJAA rebuild. Marigot has lost its charm. This unrest isn’t going away.

Re: Violence in Sandy Ground - 07/27/2023 02:57 AM

Why should they pay for PJIA rebuild?
Posted By: pat

Re: Violence in Sandy Ground - 07/27/2023 02:05 PM

If they don’t already, why shouldn’t they contribute to the overall cost of the PJIA repair? The French side of the island benefits enormously from the airport as it does from the causeway. Or do they contribute and I’m just unaware of their contribution?
Posted By: Jeff thorton

Re: Violence in Sandy Ground - 07/27/2023 05:19 PM

Why should they pay for PJIA rebuild?

They have already paid for rebuilding their own airport.

Dutch side got a 3.5 billion Euros from the World Bank. Despite that, they screwed up PJIA renovation which will be hopefully finished after 6 years ..
Posted By: bdeeley

Re: Violence in Sandy Ground - 07/27/2023 05:26 PM

Dutch side got a 3.5 billion Euros from the World Bank.". Not sure where you got this number but it's no where near reality. If you remove the "3" and leave the .5 than you are closer to reality.

Re: Violence in Sandy Ground - 07/27/2023 05:38 PM

They got 500 million Euros? I don't know, still seems like a heck of a lot of money.

Re: Violence in Sandy Ground - 07/27/2023 05:59 PM

The Red Cross raised 19.9 million euros via a Giro campaign in the Netherlands. And the Dutch government earmarked 550 million euros to assist. Most of that money is being managed by the World Bank.

from the NL Times

Re: Violence in Sandy Ground - 07/27/2023 06:01 PM

Also, the money was from the Dutch government and the Fund was set up to be "managed" by the World Bank.

Re: Violence in Sandy Ground - 07/27/2023 06:06 PM

ok
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: Violence in Sandy Ground - 07/27/2023 10:16 PM

We drive through Sandy Ground. Never a problem.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline