TravelTalkOnline

Where is this?

Posted By: Mia

Where is this? - 08/03/2023 01:53 PM

This may be a stretch, but I'm hoping someone can tell me where I can find this: I've seen pictures of an area in Phillipsburg that has a row of fountains with colorful buildings on both sides of the sidewalk. Does this sound remotely familiar to anyone? We've walked around but have never been able to find it. TY
Posted By: CaribLee

Re: Where is this? - 08/03/2023 02:29 PM

I don't really remember the fountains but it sounds like Old Street. It is one of the prettiest streets in Philipsburg.
Posted By: CaribLee

Re: Where is this? - 08/03/2023 02:30 PM

It could also be the area from the courthouse down to the water. That is a pretty area as well.
Posted By: bdeeley

Re: Where is this? - 08/03/2023 02:31 PM

Try Walter Plantz Square

Walter Plantz Square - Facebook

Description: Walter Plantz Square
Attached picture plantz-square-e1650383619271.jpg
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Where is this? - 08/03/2023 02:35 PM

As CaribLee stated, it's from the courthouse, looking toward the water.

edit--I see that bdeeley just posted a pic.

Re: Where is this? - 08/03/2023 02:45 PM

That is not at the courthouse but farther up the boardwalk at the second pier. Near Sea Palace Hotel. Below is a description of the plaza.

Walter Plantz square is a Philipsburg open air museum of the famous colorful hut building style found all over the island. fountains are considered a great entertainment for children, and right on Great Bay Beach! ***from visitstmaarten.com
Posted By: SandS

Re: Where is this? - 08/03/2023 02:49 PM

I have seen this picture also and have never been able to find it. Is it still there?
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Where is this? - 08/03/2023 02:49 PM

Interesting. I haven't been to P'burg for a while, could have sworn it was across from the Courthouse.

Re: Where is this? - 08/03/2023 02:57 PM

Yes, near the end of the boardwalk, as if you were trying to walk towards Divi. Opposite end from the cruise ship area.
Posted By: enzosxm

Re: Where is this? - 08/03/2023 02:59 PM

Almost next to the Sea Palace
Posted By: jeepers

Re: Where is this? - 08/03/2023 03:01 PM

I'm guessing there will be a few of us venturing up the boardwalk next trip! I'm going to pack my pool shoes so I can walk through there.
Posted By: CLIFFTOPS

Re: Where is this? - 08/03/2023 03:02 PM

Next to Pink Pearl
Posted By: Mia

Re: Where is this? - 08/03/2023 04:52 PM

THAT'S IT!! Thank you. We have walked around the Courthouse, but it sounds like we didn't venture far enough down. Thanks to you all I have a better description of where to go. Perfect! Thanks again!!
Posted By: pat

Re: Where is this? - 08/03/2023 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by CaribLee
I don't really remember the fountains but it sounds like Old Street. It is one of the prettiest streets in Philipsburg.

Agree with others who said it was the area between the Courthouse and the water. Very lovely and definitely NOT Old Street, another in town location we really enjoy and particularly the French Touch sidewalk cafe located there. 😊😊

Re: Where is this? - 08/03/2023 07:29 PM

Nope, not Old street and not the area between the courthouse and the water. It is Walter Plantz Square and exactly matches her description. Below are 2 maps that show where it is located. One is a wide view to show it relative to the rest of Philipsburg and the second map is zoomed in for a closer perspective.

Description: Walter Plantz Square - relative to the rest of Philipsburg(Red box inside yellow circle)
Attached picture Screen Shot 2023-08-03 at 2.53.42 PM.jpg

Description: Walter Plant Square - red square. End of Boardwalk
Attached picture Screen Shot 2023-08-03 at 2.49.20 PM.jpg
Posted By: crsxm

Re: Where is this? - 08/03/2023 08:00 PM

Yes, Bdeeley has it right. We walk through there every morning on our walk from Divi. The workers are cleaning the area and getting it ready every morning as we pass by. If you are in town and want a pastry, please try Le Cafe which is on the opposite end of the boardwalk just before the Greenhouse. They close at 3 pm but open early. Very sweet owner/workers and extremely reasonable.
Posted By: Jim_Laraine

Re: Where is this? - 08/03/2023 09:31 PM

Definitely Walter Plantz Square.

Re: Where is this? - 08/03/2023 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by bdeeley
Nope, not Old street and not the area between the courthouse and the water. It is Walter Plantz Square and exactly matches her description. Below are 2 maps that show where it is located. One is a wide view to show it relative to the rest of Philipsburg and the second map is zoomed in for a closer perspective.

Thank you, Brian, for the correction. I have to admit it’s been years since we wandered up that way but Methinks we need to take a walk thataway next time we’re on island. 😊😊
Posted By: Kennys

Re: Where is this? - 08/03/2023 10:29 PM

Yes Dear and please do. Very nice walk .

Re: Where is this? - 08/03/2023 10:59 PM

My Carol would tell you that you definitely need to take that walk. We did in November, walked up the boardwalk until the end, that is where the Walter Plantz Square is, and started to walk down front street back towards the courthouse. Low an behold a little ways down front street we walked into a Jewelry shop and Carol found a beautiful Omega necklace. Carol has quite a few slides that she wears on Omegas.

We had not done that walk in a few years and it was quite enlightening to see everything again after a number of years. New places found and new experiences.

I hope you and John are both on the mend and doing better. You are both in my thoughts and prayers.

Hopefully are paths will cross in November.

Re: Where is this? - 08/04/2023 12:23 AM

Thank you, Brian, for your well wishes. We are hoping to be there for sure in our usual spot and I hope to see you there, too. πŸ™‚πŸ™‚
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: Where is this? - 08/04/2023 10:29 AM

It's a cute place, but parking is next to impossible.
Posted By: Mikel

Re: Where is this? - 08/04/2023 10:43 AM

We like to frequent the Layback Beach Bar which is in the Square right on the Boardwalk for lunch and/or refreshments. There is a small paid parking area about a block to the west of there. Can't remember how much but it is convenient. You pay a guy who is usually sitting on a porch across the street.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline