TravelTalkOnline

Global Entry renewal

Posted By: SXMScubaman

Global Entry renewal - 08/23/2023 03:05 PM

I got around to sending in my renewal on Monday since it would expire during our upcoming May trip. Recieved an email notice to log in to check status of applicaion. Said it was Approved and new expiration is in May 2029. Pretty darn fast turnaround.
Posted By: Jim_Laraine

Re: Global Entry renewal - 08/23/2023 09:16 PM

We like Global Entry. We get it as a perk with our United Exporer Visa Card. Glad to hear renewal is easy.
Posted By: jomarc

Re: Global Entry renewal - 08/23/2023 09:44 PM

I'm glad the renewal process went well. We renewed ours a few years ago with no issue.

My sister and brother-on-law live in Rhode Island and applied for Global Entry this past May. They couldn't get an appointment in Rhode Island at all, and in Massachusetts the earliest date was in November. They have two international trips planned before then. They finally got an appointment in Calais, Maine (on the Canadian border) earlier this month. It's a six hour drive away.

The agents in Maine were friendly and fun. They have people traveling all the way from Alaska to Maine to get their Global Entry interviews!

My sister and brother-in-law's Global Entry cards were received in about two weeks. The process wasn't easy, but they're all set for our upcoming trip to SXM in early September.
Posted By: Jim_Laraine

Re: Global Entry renewal - 08/23/2023 10:22 PM

Guess we are luck. We just drove an hour into the office in Washington DC and it was done. This was about 3 year ago, maybe things have changed since then.
Posted By: jomarc

Re: Global Entry renewal - 08/23/2023 11:50 PM

Things have changed, at least in New England.
Posted By: Mikel

Re: Global Entry renewal - 08/24/2023 09:28 AM

I did my renewal the first day that I was eligible (the day after my birthday) and was approved the next day. The new card came a week later. Now just waiting for Capital One to reimburse the $100.

Re: Global Entry renewal - 08/24/2023 02:52 PM

Do they reimburse you for the renewal too? I thought it was only for the initial first time application.
Posted By: boucharda

Re: Global Entry renewal - 08/24/2023 04:34 PM

United Explorer MC does the same...every renewal is on them

Re: Global Entry renewal - 08/24/2023 05:27 PM

I just checked with Citi bank, They only do it for the Executive card. Not the Platinum which I have. I'm going to check with Barcklays.

Re: Global Entry renewal - 08/25/2023 09:27 AM

The Capital One Venture card says it will reimburse up to $100 for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck once every 3 years.

With my initial application 5 years ago, I was credited the $100 in 3 days with no action needed on my part. It has been almost 2 weeks now so I might give them a call today just to verify that I do not need to take any action to get the refund.
Posted By: GaKaye

Re: Global Entry renewal - 08/25/2023 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Mikel
The Capital One Venture card says it will reimburse up to $100 for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck once every 3 years.

With my initial application 5 years ago, I was credited the $100 in 3 days with no action needed on my part. It has been almost 2 weeks now so I might give them a call today just to verify that I do not need to take any action to get the refund.

The reimbursement for my renewal happened almost immediately, so yes; give them a call.
Posted By: CaribbeanCanadians

Re: Global Entry renewal - 08/25/2023 02:21 PM

Being Canadian, I'm not sure what a Global Entry application is. Is it your passport?
Posted By: Whale Tail

Re: Global Entry renewal - 08/25/2023 02:45 PM

CaribbeanCanadians It's called Nexus in Canada. It speeds you through land border crossings and the airport security checks/customs.
Posted By: bdeeley

Re: Global Entry renewal - 08/25/2023 02:47 PM

No, It is designed to speed up border crossings into the United States (U.S.) for low-risk, pre-approved travellers. Canada has similar systems in CANPASS and NEXUS.

Re: Global Entry renewal - 08/25/2023 03:05 PM

I checked all my Citi and Bank of America cards and no go for me. Citi Bank has it with the AA Executive Card but at the added yearly cost not worth it.

Re: Global Entry renewal - 08/25/2023 03:19 PM

Thanks bdeeley for the exlenation.

Re: Global Entry renewal - 08/25/2023 03:25 PM

So I did call Capital One and the 'official' answer is that it takes 1 to 2 billing cycles to appear. No action is required on my part. Must have been lucky last time.

As a side note, this does not apply to all Capital One cards. It does apply to my Venture card though it carries a $95 yearly fee.

Re: Global Entry renewal - 08/25/2023 03:31 PM

If you are traveling, internationally, at least a few times a year than it might be worth a look. It is $50 for 5 years. A link is below.

NEXUS - link

Re: Global Entry renewal - 08/25/2023 06:16 PM

It looks like it set up for only entry in to US or Canada.
Posted By: SXMbeacher

Re: Global Entry renewal - 08/25/2023 08:55 PM

Thanks for the heads up. We just renewed our global entry and didn't know Capitol one Venture offered this!

Re: Global Entry renewal - 08/26/2023 12:38 AM

It is. It is meant to speed up your return to either Canada or the US by bypassing the lines and shortening your time to clear Customs and Immigration.

Re: Global Entry renewal - 08/26/2023 02:43 PM

Our flights are always with Westjet through Canada, direct from Toronto to St. Maarten so we would never use it.

Re: Global Entry renewal - 08/26/2023 02:59 PM

You would use it on reentry into Canada on your return trip. The whole purpose of NEXUS is to expedite your entry into Canada, from a foreign destination, and speed up clearing immigration and customs. The benefit to citizens is mostly on the return trip home.

Re: Global Entry renewal - 08/26/2023 03:13 PM

It's saved us many times on close connections returning to the States. Well worth the cost.

Re: Global Entry renewal - 08/26/2023 04:20 PM

Nexus is for Canadians entering Canada or US (no other countries), not the same as Global Entry which is for other countries re-entering US. We don't have Global Entry in Canada.
I had to do some googling.
Posted By: Angelface

Re: Global Entry renewal - 08/28/2023 02:05 PM

If anyone is on the fence about Global Entry, hop off and get it! smile If you travel just a few times a year out of the country, it's so worth it. I had a 2 hour connection from SXM on saturday in Atlanta. The immigration line was LONG but I breezed right past it with GE. (now, the 30+ minute wait for the bags and then having my bags miss my connection to IAD was super annoying. I wish GE could fix that!)
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline