TravelTalkOnline

Irish pub orient bay

Posted By: leslieridler

Irish pub orient bay - 09/19/2023 12:32 PM

....sorry to see Telegraphe go, but has anyone been to the replacement?
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Irish pub orient bay - 09/19/2023 01:14 PM

I missed that re Le Telegraphe, sorry to see them go also. Although I guess the owner from there now has Calmos back open. Call me crazy, an Irish Pub on a beach in the Caribbean doesn't seem to go, to me..
Posted By: leslieridler

Re: Irish pub orient bay - 09/19/2023 01:50 PM

... that's what I thought too.....seems there is a Peter McCool in St Barts, which seems even more unlikely
Posted By: timnboston

Re: Irish pub orient bay - 09/19/2023 02:39 PM

Well, to some of us, an Irish Pub is a good idea anyplace!! - LOL
Posted By: IslandBoi

Re: Irish pub orient bay - 09/19/2023 04:36 PM

but the Italian, Mexican, Middle Eastern, Indian, NOLA, etc. places scream Caribbean jester
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Irish pub orient bay - 09/19/2023 05:07 PM

And don't forget the good old American cuisine.
Posted By: CaribLee

Re: Irish pub orient bay - 09/19/2023 05:34 PM

While I don't go to Orient as often as I used to, I would enjoy visiting an Irish pub while on the island.

Re: Irish pub orient bay - 09/19/2023 06:43 PM

I guess I just don't get the attraction of an Irish Pub in general. Never been in one, so I guess I wouldn't know what I was missing. What's the attraction?
Posted By: bostonbob

Re: Irish pub orient bay - 09/19/2023 11:12 PM

Carol,if the pub is anywhere’s near an Irish neighborhood,it is all about the vibe. A bartender who actually knows how to pour Guinness,the food,some good music, and locals who want to have some fun. Irish pubs can work well anywhere if the owner works to create the right atmosphere.

Re: Irish pub orient bay - 09/19/2023 11:39 PM

Ok, not interested in Guinness at all, and I don't think I am a fan of Irish food..

Re: Irish pub orient bay - 09/19/2023 11:45 PM

What. No corned beef and cabbage with boiled potatoes. Yikes.
Posted By: NeilRooney

Re: Irish pub orient bay - 09/20/2023 12:09 AM

It's what I had in mind when I built Peg Leg Pub
Posted By: CaribLee

Re: Irish pub orient bay - 09/20/2023 12:18 AM

Fish and chips and a cold IPA draught is my go to. A good Irish Pub has the feeling of a small local tavern where you go to meet your best friends and spend the afternoon swapping stories and lies.

Re: Irish pub orient bay - 09/20/2023 12:26 AM

Corned beef and cabbage? Yuck..
Posted By: kim

Re: Irish pub orient bay - 09/20/2023 01:39 PM

Guinea’s and a toastie!! J Grogans Castle Lounge in Dublin - only food they serve 😂😂😂

Attached picture IMG_0300_Original.jpeg
Posted By: eilandmens

Re: Irish pub orient bay - 09/20/2023 04:07 PM

Many Irish were indentured servants on plantations in the Caribbean in 17th and 18th centuries. Just a little coming to French side. Dutch side has the Pub serving Guinness.
Posted By: SXMBND

Re: Irish pub orient bay - 09/20/2023 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Carol_Hill
Ok, not interested in Guinness at all, and I don't think I am a fan of Irish food..

Seven course Irish meal.......... a six pack and a potato....... dance
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Irish pub orient bay - 09/20/2023 11:10 PM

Having been in one on St. Patrick's Day in NYC MANY years ago, it is an experience!

Kind of like German food on SXM, Bavaria was great if one liked that kind of food.

Re: Irish pub orient bay - 09/20/2023 11:17 PM

JD--of course, we have had this discussion before, but we didn't care for German food in Germany, OR in SXM.
Posted By: Jim_Laraine

Re: Irish pub orient bay - 09/21/2023 01:57 AM

We passed by the new Irish Pub today. They are working on getting it opened.

Re: Irish pub orient bay - 09/21/2023 02:25 AM

*Corned beef and cabbage? Yuck.."
"didn't care for German food in Germany, OR in SXM."
And you said before you don't like to eat Italian in sxm. What do you like on island?

Re: Irish pub orient bay - 09/21/2023 12:53 PM

My favorite food on SXM, or anywhere, is French, followed closely by steak or lamb chops, however they are prepared. Pizza is a distant third. I fix Italian a lot at home, but almost never go out to eat Italian food at home either, unless it's Olive Garden for soup and salad, which doesn't really count. I like Mexican food, but right now, there's not anywhere I've been on island, that I like their Mexican food. Anyone here been someplace on island for Mexican that they liked?
Posted By: taraavo

Re: Irish pub orient bay - 09/21/2023 01:02 PM

I hope someone chimes in with Mexican suggestions. I'm curious on that one, too. The few places I've read about in the past on the island don't sound all that exciting. Of course, we live in an area with a large Mexican-American population so I'm kind of spoiled with good Mexican food at home.
Carol, do you bring down steak and lamb chops or buy them on the island? I like the idea of cooking "at home" on our January trip, but haven't the faintest idea where to source a good quality steak (on the island).

Re: Irish pub orient bay - 09/21/2023 01:13 PM

taraavo--Definitely do NOT go to Three Amigos in Maho. Literally awful.

Yes, we bring down steaks (along with hamburgers and a few other items, that fit in a mini cooler, which goes in a roll aboard bag, along with other stuff). We do not bring down lamb chops. Usually we get those at Super U. The meats at Super U are usually very good, but of course, more expensive than at home.

Re: Irish pub orient bay - 09/21/2023 02:49 PM

You might want to give LA Patron a try at Simpson Bay Resort.

Re: Irish pub orient bay - 09/21/2023 04:40 PM

We've actually eaten at La Patron and enjoyed it. It is not typical Tex-Mex, but straight Mexican. Pretty good, actually. I had forgotten about them, probably because it is not Tex-Mex. Can folks who want to eat there still park in that upper parking lot ? I only ask because apparently there are issues with parking for Isola now?

Re: Irish pub orient bay - 09/21/2023 04:50 PM

Last I heard you can if you tell them you're having dinner there or are going on an excursion with Aqua Mania.

Re: Irish pub orient bay - 09/21/2023 04:52 PM

I just wondered if that was still the case, since there was the issue with parking for Isola.

Re: Irish pub orient bay - 09/21/2023 04:54 PM

Only issue there is that there is no longer side street parking and the old Deli lot is now for Valet only.

Re: Irish pub orient bay - 09/21/2023 04:57 PM

I thought someone posted here that they pulled up at the valet and said they were going to Isola and they told them they could not valet park for Isola??
Posted By: jazzgal

Re: Irish pub orient bay - 09/21/2023 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by SXMScubaman
Only issue there is that there is no longer side street parking and the old Deli lot is now for Valet only.

When I was on island in June, I parked in the Deli lot more than once when going to Red Piano.
Posted By: Colour1

Re: Irish pub orient bay - 09/24/2023 12:37 PM

For me, it's a NYC thing and parts of the Bronx and Westchester county NY that have some of the best Irish restaurants in the country. I would find it hard to believe it could be replicated anywhere else! We didn't fly nearly four hours to sit "in doors" at a bar where there so many places with amazing views on the island!!!
To ruralcarrier, I worked one year at Rosie O'Grady's midtown. I'm still black and blue! That's a rough crowd!!! LOL!!!
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Irish pub orient bay - 09/24/2023 01:46 PM

While I do not remember the name of the bar, the food from the kitchen and beer from the bar flowed freely. Gerry Cooney was walking in the parade as it passed the bar. I had a couple of high school friends who went to college in NYC so I visited them a couple of times way back when.
Posted By: irish1223

Re: Irish pub orient bay - 09/25/2023 01:13 AM

Ooh, we love us an Irish pub just about anywhere! drinking
Posted By: Colour1

Re: Irish pub orient bay - 09/26/2023 01:37 PM

Blrarney stones were everywhere in NYC!!!

Re: Irish pub orient bay - 09/26/2023 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Colour1
Blrarney stones were everywhere in NYC!!!

Isn't it a Blarney Stone?
Posted By: Jim_Laraine

Re: Irish pub orient bay - 09/28/2023 11:31 AM

They are working on the Irish Pub every day that we have passed. A girl saw us looking and came over to the car. She said that they are hoping to open in October. Think she said "Early October" but she was a bit hard to understand.

Attached picture IMG20230927152905.jpg
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline