TravelTalkOnline

The Boon

Posted By: NickandLisa

The Boon - 10/06/2023 08:02 PM

Lots of Sargassum up and down Simpson Bay. Can’t figure out how to attach pictures.
Anybody on the island know of a weed free beach?

Attached picture IMG_1500.jpeg
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: The Boon - 10/06/2023 09:31 PM

Looks like you managed to attach a pic. Looks pretty bad. Possibly Mullet?
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: The Boon - 10/06/2023 10:24 PM

Doesn't look like Mullet with the buildings in distance. More like where Karakter is or close to it.
Posted By: kim

Re: The Boon - 10/06/2023 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by SXMScubaman
Doesn't look like Mullet with the buildings in distance. More like where Karakter is or close to it.

OP said it’s Marys Boon - Carol is suggesting maybe Mullet doesn’t have sargassum 😉
Posted By: Jim_Laraine

Re: The Boon - 10/07/2023 12:09 AM

Here is what we heard, and we found it was true (at least during our stay, 9/13 - 10/5). Basically the sargassum shifts from one side of the island to the other depending on (mostly ) the wind direction.

So we pretty much were at Simpson Bay and Orient each day. If one had sargassum comming, in the other does not. The beach clean up is what it is.

Jim
Posted By: ScottW

Re: The Boon - 10/07/2023 12:33 PM

We walk the length of Simspon Bay every day. It is not quite as bad at the Beachside Villas end. We swam in the ocean yesterday and there was sargassum, but it was fine. There is no way we would have gone in the water down by Marys Boon. Beachside Villas and Dinghy's Bar are the only places that make any attempt to clean some of it up. Even with the attempt to clean it up, it seems they are fighting a never ending battle.
Posted By: Jim_Laraine

Re: The Boon - 10/07/2023 01:14 PM

I could not edit our reply above, so here is a Correction:

"So we pretty much were at Simpson Bay and Orient each day"
Should have been:
Most days we were at either Simpson Bay or Orient Bay.

Cheers,
Jim
Posted By: ScottW

Re: The Boon - 10/07/2023 01:28 PM

Morning update- A large amount of sargassum came ashore in front of Dinghy's Bar overninght. I don't think they will be able to get that cleaned up quickly. They are raking in front of Beachside. I give them credit for their effort and I wouldn't be upset if they didn't. The place is pretty much empty.

Re: The Boon - 10/07/2023 01:39 PM

Scott--Dinghy's Bar (the former El Zafiro location) always has had more sargassum than in front of Beachside. Hope it lets up.

Re: The Boon - 10/07/2023 08:46 PM

Orient was good this morning. Spent the day at Orange Fever. Nice folks good food and drinks.
Simpson Bay still a mess. The water is clear but the beach is a mess.
Can anyone recommend a place to watch the Steeler game tomorrow ?

Re: The Boon - 10/07/2023 09:16 PM

There is the sports bar at the Simpson Bay Resort.
Posted By: foreversxm

Re: The Boon - 10/07/2023 11:53 PM

Seems like a lot more seaweed down by bsv and that beach bar. Middle of Simpson Bay gets seaweed but Mary’s Boon always clears it as much as possible. This time is a lot more seaweed on Simpson Bay. It comes and goes but unfortunately it’s a world wide problem even Florida gets a lot too.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: The Boon - 10/08/2023 12:44 AM

We rarely see it on the Flamingo Beach but see it floating by often. 🙏🤞🙏

Re: The Boon - 10/12/2023 01:51 PM

Made it to Bistrot Caraibes last night for wonderful grilled lobster.
Not many places open. GC looks really run down and tired.
Posted By: Colour1

Re: The Boon - 10/13/2023 10:53 AM

We walked by it last year. The brothers did a nice job remodeling. Can't wait to see them next week!! We're taking a car service from BSV ! No need to spoil it!!! Fabila is the lobster queen, that's her thing. I know this is on her radar! Thanks for posting!
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline