TravelTalkOnline

Temporary arrival facility at PJIA to open

Posted By: SXMScubaman

Temporary arrival facility at PJIA to open - 10/06/2023 10:35 PM

https://www.soualiganewsday.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=52237%3Atemporary-arrival-facility-at-airport-signals-the-last-phase&Itemid=450&fbclid=IwAR0CfnWvXmxnAHr0pXvxOgMXjVKA1x7WOs8qSXCn0F1LWWmCmUOzqZhzCeY
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Temporary arrival facility at PJIA to open - 10/07/2023 12:17 AM

Here is a better link.

Link
Posted By: Leagle49

Re: Temporary arrival facility at PJIA to open - 10/07/2023 01:29 PM

I'll be very interested to hear about peoples experiences when it opens.

Re: Temporary arrival facility at PJIA to open - 10/07/2023 01:36 PM

Yes, me too. It shouldn't be long.
Posted By: Bahston

Re: Temporary arrival facility at PJIA to open - 10/07/2023 02:56 PM

Here’s a video description of what to expect. It’s still a work-in-progress in the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Djbub57agZs
Posted By: candj

Re: Temporary arrival facility at PJIA to open - 10/07/2023 08:15 PM

WOW. We arrive in 2 months and I sure hope there is more information before we arrive. We arrive in late November so maybe this will all be completed.
Posted By: timnboston

Re: Temporary arrival facility at PJIA to open - 10/07/2023 10:10 PM

The youtube video expresses concern about the small size of the temporary facility - they are already planning on having lines outside. I don't have a very good feeling about this - sure Hope I'm wrong!
Posted By: candj

Re: Temporary arrival facility at PJIA to open - 10/07/2023 10:15 PM

We arrive on a weekday and leave on a weekday so maybe it will not be too bad for us. The video talked about lines and that is never good.
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Temporary arrival facility at PJIA to open - 10/07/2023 10:21 PM

Throwing good $$ at a problem never fixes it.
Posted By: Leagle49

Re: Temporary arrival facility at PJIA to open - 10/08/2023 11:37 AM

Queuing outside under an awning doesn't seem like ti's going to be a lot of fun. Baggage claim area seems small too.
Posted By: GaKaye

Re: Temporary arrival facility at PJIA to open - 10/08/2023 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Leagle49
Queuing outside under an awning doesn't seem like ti's going to be a lot of fun. Baggage claim area seems small too.

Memories of the tents after Irma. Those awnings were tarps on poles, and they were torn and blowing in the wind. I'm hoping they learned from that experience, and have something more substantial this time.
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: Temporary arrival facility at PJIA to open - 10/08/2023 12:15 PM

Picture: https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=816491583814501&set=a.546663840797278
Posted By: LoveSXM333

Re: Temporary arrival facility at PJIA to open - 10/08/2023 12:42 PM

Maybe y’all should wait until airport complete before you come back!!!!😳🤷‍♂️

Re: Temporary arrival facility at PJIA to open - 10/08/2023 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by LoveSXM333
Maybe y’all should wait until airport complete before you come back!!!!😳🤷‍♂️

You do realize this has been a 6 year ordeal, lots of "delays", etc., mis-information, accusations....people are tired of it.
Posted By: LoveSXM333

Re: Temporary arrival facility at PJIA to open - 10/08/2023 01:08 PM

Indeed—- I have been there about 15 times since Irma .
Posted By: GaKaye

Re: Temporary arrival facility at PJIA to open - 10/08/2023 02:59 PM

Definitely better than the post-Irma tents! As you know, nothing much can stop us from coming!!

Re: Temporary arrival facility at PJIA to open - 10/08/2023 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by GaKaye
Definitely better than the post-Irma tents! As you know, nothing much can stop us from coming!!

For sure. Same here.
Posted By: Colour1

Re: Temporary arrival facility at PJIA to open - 10/08/2023 04:39 PM

YOU GOT THAT RIGHT!!! They just can't stop pouring money down the drain instead of fixing the problem!! We'll be there in 10 days or so. Keep you and TTOL posted!
Posted By: Bahston

Re: Temporary arrival facility at PJIA to open - 10/08/2023 11:11 PM

Queuing outside at the old airport was common. We all survived it.

Re: Temporary arrival facility at PJIA to open - 10/08/2023 11:47 PM

Bahston--sure, we survived it. But there is no reason to stand outside these days, in SXM. It's SIX years since Irma.

...not to say that people will be standing outside at this temporary facility.
Posted By: Kennys

Re: Temporary arrival facility at PJIA to open - 10/09/2023 12:22 AM

Thanks and I always love a constructive response on the hell that we as citizens of this Island on St.Maarten has to go through . And we, were suppose to live in the U.S but we lost our papers after visiting my late Brother 50 Birthday party in Florida i.e not far from Tiger Woods property , sa la vie . God is good . And our Brother last job was with Lockheed Martin , top , R.I.P .
Posted By: kim

Re: Temporary arrival facility at PJIA to open - 10/09/2023 01:43 AM

Just counted I’ve been down 31 trips since Irma - maybe two of those trips the airport has been the same!!! I won’t get into the “issues” they have had, but each trip it’s been closer to being done. There are some very informative videos on YouTube. Prior to this airport we would wait out in an open air area to clear before getting bags - it was hot! We were spoiled with the new airport. First trip back 11/17 we cleared through a shed!!! Then the tents, remember baggage under the airport and waiting for flights under the airport. Can’t wait to see what is next!!!
Posted By: BillS

Re: Temporary arrival facility at PJIA to open - 10/11/2023 02:03 PM

According to the article, today will be the first day the TAF will be in use. Hope to hear some first hand experience about how well the facility accommodates the flow of passengers.

Re: Temporary arrival facility at PJIA to open - 10/11/2023 02:27 PM

Yes, looking forward to some comments. Hopefully they will say it's no big deal, not much difference.
Posted By: pony600

Re: Temporary arrival facility at PJIA to open - 10/11/2023 07:01 PM

We arrive next Monday, so looking forward to any reports of those arriving sooner.
Posted By: jazzgal

Re: Temporary arrival facility at PJIA to open - 10/11/2023 07:05 PM

A friend in an SXM Facebook group arrived today and posted this:

New immigration building opened today. The first flight was from JFK. It's fairly small with a small baggage carousel, but very well air-conditioned. The covered walkway concrete around the posts was poured this morning and is still wet.

He also posted pictures, and I'm waiting to hear if it's ok with him if I post them here.

Re: Temporary arrival facility at PJIA to open - 10/11/2023 07:27 PM

I saw those pictures on the post too. Jet Blue flight.

Re: Temporary arrival facility at PJIA to open - 10/11/2023 11:28 PM

Pictures of temp arrival hall from this morning.

Attached picture pjia 1.jpg
Attached picture pjia 2.jpg
Attached picture pjia 3.jpg
Attached picture pjia 4.jpg

Re: Temporary arrival facility at PJIA to open - 10/11/2023 11:37 PM

Thanks for posting and thanks to the original poster.

Re: Temporary arrival facility at PJIA to open - 10/12/2023 12:15 AM

He did say that not everyone from his flight fit into the hall. Last of second bus and remainder on third bus didn't fit. He said he was in and out in ten minutes. But if several planes arrive at same time . . . .
Posted By: foreversxm

Re: Temporary arrival facility at PJIA to open - 10/13/2023 12:53 AM

Arrived today. This new arrival area is totally ridiculous and NOT GOING TO WORK with high season coming. It’s just too small and was full shoulder to shoulder crowded with just one flight passengers. Why in the world did they make this switch just a few months before high season? Seems like more incompetence and more bad planning. Chaotic mess on a Thursday. Can you imagine what it’s gonna be like on Saturday and Sunday? A LOT of hot mad people will be standing outside waiting to get into the immigration area. Not a good way to start a vacation. IMO

Re: Temporary arrival facility at PJIA to open - 10/13/2023 02:20 AM

Sounds like you didn't like it.

Re: Temporary arrival facility at PJIA to open - 10/13/2023 09:57 AM

If it can't handle the arrival of just one plane, it is going to be a mess. Tiy hit the nail on the head.

Re: Temporary arrival facility at PJIA to open - 10/13/2023 10:46 AM

Our JB flight was changed from early Saturday morning to 9:30am. I am not looking forward to this mess. There has to be more than one flight at that time we arrive!! I don't get it, whoever is in charge has not a clue how to spend the money! Why build this, why NOT fix the broken down airport thats there!! IMHO, they should have bulldozed it down, start from scratch! Brought in a company like Turner construction from NYC. They would have it up and running under one year!! This?? This is an insult!!

Re: Temporary arrival facility at PJIA to open - 10/13/2023 02:41 PM

This airport mess is all about more greed, more corruption and more incompetence! They had that HUGE airport building but they couldn't find enough room so that HAD to build another building? Sounds like someone at the airport has a friend selling temporary buildings. It's the money and those airport and gov officials are laughing all the way to the bank at the happy go lucky SXM taxpayers and Dutch gov. Hopefully I am wrong but I heard that small little building is what they will use all through high season....6 months. And if they had to do this why not in April instead of 2 months before high season. ok gov let the excuses begin.. Such a Joke. I worried about my business friends on the Island having to suffer even more because that That little building is a joke. People will be standing outside in HOT weather for way too long. Yesterday it took my friend that come on Spirt 2 hours to get out of there. Small little baggage carrousel. This needs to be taken care of now not in December. Hopefully enough people will SCREAM and SHOUT and someone will do something to really improve things rather than make it worse. Other than that everything's great. smile
Posted By: lcote

Re: Temporary arrival facility at PJIA to open - 10/13/2023 03:46 PM

foreversxm, I think plenty of people have been screaming and shouting since a year after Irma. It didn't do much then.

Re: Temporary arrival facility at PJIA to open - 10/13/2023 03:50 PM

Try and enjoy your time there. You can't do anything about that situation so let it slide.
Posted By: MotownTim

Re: Temporary arrival facility at PJIA to open - 10/13/2023 07:19 PM

Can’t imagine flying Spirit AND having to put up with the temporary arrival facility. That’s just too much.
Posted By: Kennys

Re: Temporary arrival facility at PJIA to open - 10/13/2023 10:37 PM

Tomorrow being Saturday will be a very rough day for all of us.

Re: Temporary arrival facility at PJIA to open - 10/14/2023 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by lcote
foreversxm, I think plenty of people have been screaming and shouting since a year after Irma. It didn't do much then.

Definitely agree but I still think if enough people complain something might get a least a little better. It’s really unbelievable anyone would think that temp building would be even close to being adequate. So many serious issues for arriving passengers. First thing they need to do is at least triple the staff of immigration officials and baggage handlers to speed up the process , and get people out there asap because it’s gonna be a huge back up.

Re: Temporary arrival facility at PJIA to open - 10/14/2023 02:28 AM

Completely out of our control. We are only visitors. Powers in charge don't give a sh## what we think. If we don't come there are plenty of others to take our place. Roll with the punches and make the best of it. You could be home instead.

Re: Temporary arrival facility at PJIA to open - 10/14/2023 10:00 AM

Government doesn't listen to their citizens, why would anyone think they will listen to our visitors? It's all about greed and has been for decades. Another nail in the coffin

Re: Temporary arrival facility at PJIA to open - 10/14/2023 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by BillandElaine
Government doesn't listen to their citizens, why would anyone think they will listen to our visitors? It's all about greed and has been for decades. Another nail in the coffin

I also agree Gov does not listen to outsiders , but should because tourist can always take they money somewhere else....... and gov are offended when any good or logical ideas are offered. But GOV should be very concerned when they expect their immigration staff and airport staff to have to work in such substandard conditions. They are the ones that THOUSANDS of upset and hot arriving passengers locals and visitors will have to listen to. It's a real shame because SXM is so unique and could be so much better for everyone and the Locals more than anyone. This airport mess just takes more money and food out of their mouths and more lost opportunity for a better future. But they just don't have good leadership. IMO

Re: Temporary arrival facility at PJIA to open - 10/14/2023 02:55 PM

This is a TEMPORARY arrival building. At least there is one for arrivals. Much better than the old one prior to the construction of the NEW one destroyed by Irma which didn't deter tourist from coming.
Posted By: sxmmartini

Re: Temporary arrival facility at PJIA to open - 10/14/2023 05:12 PM

The luggage will be brought to the tourist on carts drawn by donkeys… Good Grief!
Posted By: pat

Re: Temporary arrival facility at PJIA to open - 10/14/2023 06:31 PM

A joke, right? It’s SXM so one never knows for sure….😊😊

Re: Temporary arrival facility at PJIA to open - 10/15/2023 08:06 AM

To scream and shout on your soap box will not do a damn thing!! This whole thing has been a disaster from day one after Irma. The poor construction of this building and the poor design of it. It should have been bulldozed down! But this is all of our home away from home as I say it. If this is what we have to deal with, so goes it. As one poster said, shake it off !!! Nothing we can do about it, so enjoy your time on the most beautiful island in the world IMHO!!

Attached picture SXM  simpson bay.jpg

Re: Temporary arrival facility at PJIA to open - 10/15/2023 10:14 AM

Friend came in on Friday around 3pm and said it was no problem at all.
Posted By: sxmmartini

Re: Temporary arrival facility at PJIA to open - 10/15/2023 12:16 PM

Friends arriving today from JFK. Hope they also have no issues on arrival.

Re: Temporary arrival facility at PJIA to open - 10/15/2023 01:59 PM

I think JFK is Jet Blue and fairly early so they should be ok. Totally agree the airport has been a huge disaster and the people of SXM have been very tolerant. Maybe just letting people know what's going and being informed on this post and many other SXM forms has already helped ? I am never going to scream and shout on my soapbox again or complain about anything. I just never help. I am just going to rollover and suck it up. We can never do anything by saying something. Just Taylor Swift it and Shake it off! lol Let just stop complaining about the airport, bad food or service and everything else and set better examples for everyone else. Oh my gosh .
Posted By: timnboston

Re: Temporary arrival facility at PJIA to open - 10/15/2023 02:43 PM

Getting a heads-up is always useful. Changing in-flight out of those winter wolens into something light and tropical might make standing in line outside somewhat more tolerable. When travelling these days -and not just to SXM - I just expext a horrible experience. I just try to concentrate on the fact that in a few hours it will be over, and in the case of SXM, I'll be in paradise

Re: Temporary arrival facility at PJIA to open - 10/15/2023 03:03 PM

Good attitude to have.
Posted By: mgh

Re: Temporary arrival facility at PJIA to open - 10/15/2023 03:15 PM

"Getting a heads-up is always useful. Changing in-flight out of those winter wolens into something light and tropical might make standing in line outside somewhat more tolerable. When travelling these days -and not just to SXM - I just expext a horrible experience. I just try to concentrate on the fact that in a few hours it will be over, and in the case of SXM, I'll be in paradise".

Totally agree with this statement. Not much you can do about the problem so just expect the worse and if not, it's a bonus. No sense in dwelling on something out of your control.....

Re: Temporary arrival facility at PJIA to open - 10/16/2023 11:09 AM

Carol, isn't this thread done???

Re: Temporary arrival facility at PJIA to open - 10/16/2023 11:46 AM

Yes, probably.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline