TravelTalkOnline

Quick question

Posted By: irish1223

Quick question - 10/22/2023 06:52 PM

Does American Airlines use a stair to exit the aircraft upon arrival, or do they have a ramp into the terminal? Arriving from Charlotte on November 1, bringing my son and DIL for the first time. DIL will require a wheelchair (which we’ve already arranged); just wondering if AA pulls up to a ramp. DIL can walk and do steps, just not quickly. I wanted to let her know what to expect, as we usually fly Delta. Thanks!
Posted By: beachbum1313

Re: Quick question - 10/22/2023 07:07 PM

We came in on the 21st on American out of Charlotte, and they had steps on both the front of the plane and rear. We used the new arrival hall and it was about an hour to get three planes through on a Saturday. People in wheelchairs got pushed to the front of the line.

Re: Quick question - 10/22/2023 07:11 PM

Thank you, beachbum!
Posted By: pat

Re: Quick question - 10/22/2023 07:26 PM

Hi, Robin,

We’ve come in on both AA from Charlotte and JB from NY and we've done both stairs and the zigzag ramp. No jetways yet but soon they say. The last trip we arrived on JB and the wheelchair was at the bottom of the ramp waiting for us and they did rush us through a side door and right through all the necessary stops to the leggsge carousel. The porter grabbed our bags and was terrific - more than worth a generous gratuity IMHO, and so much more so than the porters at MIA or JFK. 🙂🙂
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Quick question - 10/22/2023 08:34 PM

irish--Definitely NOT a ramp into the terminal. Often there is a ramp at the FRONT of the plane, onto the tarmac. Don't know about the Charlotte flight in particular, but there is almost always a ramp on the Miami flight. I would have your daughter in law head toward the front of the plane and hopefully there will be a ramp there. Best wishes.
Posted By: jazzgal

Re: Quick question - 10/22/2023 10:19 PM

Robin - In June there were stairs at the front of the plane; don't know about the back as I didn't pay attention. I have had a zigzag ramp on other occasions, but that may have been from MIA; can't remember. I had ordered wheelchair assistance, and he was waiting at the bottom of the stairs. He charged up the stairs to take my carryon and carry it down for me. Then as Pat said, in through a side door. He was wonderful, and it was a very pleasant experience.

Re: Quick question - 10/22/2023 10:40 PM

Linda--for sure, wheelchair assistance at SXM is wonderful. ONCE you are off the plane. It will be nice to have those jetways in place, one of these years.....
Posted By: BeachKitten

Re: Quick question - 10/23/2023 03:07 AM

Does that mean that you need to make it down the stairs on your own?! What if someone is genuinely in a wheelchair and not ambulatory?

Re: Quick question - 10/23/2023 03:56 AM

Thank you all so much! This is very helpful. And silly me, I actually forgot that we will be arriving from Miami, as we have a connection on the way there. 🤪 Also good to know that the porters are so helpful. We will be more than generous because any assistance will be appreciated.

Looking forward to the day the jetways are in place again.

Re: Quick question - 10/23/2023 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by BeachKitten
Does that mean that you need to make it down the stairs on your own?! What if someone is genuinely in a wheelchair and not ambulatory?

I was wondering the same thing. 🤔
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Quick question - 10/23/2023 04:21 AM

last May we had a zigzag smooth ramp to deplane in sxm. Was on AA.
Posted By: jazzgal

Re: Quick question - 10/23/2023 10:20 AM

I have seen two porters carry a wheelchair, with occupant, down the stairs.
Posted By: snuba

Re: Quick question - 10/23/2023 12:05 PM

I have seen that done also, but just in SXM. They are very accommodating. Not so much elsewhere.
Posted By: Susieville

Re: Quick question - 10/23/2023 12:17 PM

I broke my ankle last year in SXM and they had a zig zag ramp for me. Wheelchair service company in SXM terrific

Re: Quick question - 10/23/2023 01:11 PM

Linda-yes, I have seen them carry someone down the stairs also.

Hopefully the original poster's plane will have the ramp, as that is much easier. But as I said, ONLY in the front of the plane. Always regular stairs in the back.
Posted By: Snorkeller

Re: Quick question - 10/23/2023 02:20 PM

If you simply cannot get down stairs, and there is not lift available, the airport will have you carried down - and SXM does this well.

A related problem I have seen and worried about, is when someone who is not really capable of handling egress on own, tries it anyway when no help seems available - especially if it is raining and you need to get down stairs or ramp. I now have seen this happen twice when passengers had to intervene and insist that airline/airport personnel stop someone from exiting until they received proper assistance.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline