TravelTalkOnline

Tips for Singles

Posted By: Wahnfried

Tips for Singles - 10/30/2023 04:52 PM

I'm planning a visit in March, and I'll be on my own. Curious about tips, recommendations, etc for the single traveller.

For reference, I'm a 55 yr old male, and I'm not looking for a hookup, a one night stand or a romance, but I also don't want to be a recluse! Where might single folks go where we won't stick out like sore thumbs? Definitely down to meet people and hang out, but a roll in the sands is not my primary motivation...

Not a big fan of discos or general rowdiness, but I do like to have fun.
Posted By: Jim_Laraine

Re: Tips for Singles - 10/30/2023 05:09 PM

Live music usually attracts a fun crowd.

Hupple the Pub SImpson Bay has great live music and a lively crowd on Monday nights.

If you're on Facebook, check out SXM Live Music

https://www.facebook.com/groups/220970140851636
Posted By: lcote

Re: Tips for Singles - 10/30/2023 05:36 PM

Although not a single, Michael and I often meet different people just floating out in the water. We might strike up a conversation with someone. We have met so many nice people that way. I wouldn't call either one of us particularly outgoing. It just seems like we meet people out in the water at Divi.
Posted By: MotownTim

Re: Tips for Singles - 10/30/2023 05:47 PM

If you are in the Maho area the Driftwood Boat Bar is a good place to strike up a conversation with locals, pilots and fellow travelers. Open daily until about 9 PM. The Sint Maarten Yacht Club is also a good place to meet sailors as well as locals and tourists.
Posted By: timnboston

Re: Tips for Singles - 10/30/2023 06:10 PM

I've been visiting SXM as a "single" for twenty-five years, and there's a reason it's called "The Friendly Island". You'll have no trouble meeting people. I'll second the Driftwood recommendation, and also in Maho, you could check out the Hole in the Wall (live music just about every night) and the Beer Garden. If you're down in Simpson Bay check out the Tap and Still - they have Karoke on Thursday nights and that usually draws a social crowd. I'm probably going to upset some people with this - but generally I've found the Dutch side to be more sociable - I thihk the French side lends itself to more of a romantic vacation. Just relax - you'll meet as many people as you care to, and you'll have a blast!
Posted By: Wahnfried

Re: Tips for Singles - 10/31/2023 06:47 PM

If you're around in March, I'll buy you a beer. Great suggestions.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline