TravelTalkOnline

Departure Hall Soft Opening Scheduled

Posted By: GaKaye

Departure Hall Soft Opening Scheduled - 10/31/2023 09:05 PM

Link: https://www.smn-news.com/index.php/...nal-airport-a-significant-milestone.html
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Departure Hall Soft Opening Scheduled - 10/31/2023 09:10 PM

Huhm, November 15, not November 1, and a "soft" opening. Wonder what that means?
Posted By: bdeeley

Re: Departure Hall Soft Opening Scheduled - 10/31/2023 09:27 PM

I'm sure it is just as they say in the article:

*** "During this phased approach, travelers will have access to a limited variety of retail and dining options, with several others set to launch in late November and December, all carefully selected to enrich the airport experience for travelers."

In the future, when all is complete including the Arrivals Hall, I am sure they will have a Formal Opening, of the redone terminal, with festivities and maybe visiting dignitaries, ie; maybe even the King & Queen would visit.

Re: Departure Hall Soft Opening Scheduled - 10/31/2023 11:21 PM

bdeeley--you believe everything the airport authority says? Me, I'm a bit more suspicious.
Posted By: bobbarb

Re: Departure Hall Soft Opening Scheduled - 11/01/2023 01:08 AM

I thought a few weeks ago it was supposed be earlier in November. We are leaving November 12 and I was thinking we would be able to experience the new departure area, not now.
Bob
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Departure Hall Soft Opening Scheduled - 11/01/2023 01:12 AM

I just have my fingers crossed for next May for both Arrival and Departure. 🤞

Re: Departure Hall Soft Opening Scheduled - 11/01/2023 02:00 AM

CHill, I guess my glass is just 9/10ths full. It has nothing to do with what I believe, you said "wonder what that means" and I said their explanation was in the article.

Carry on.
Posted By: pat

Re: Departure Hall Soft Opening Scheduled - 11/01/2023 11:07 AM

Wonderful. Our arrival was a bit of a three ring circus and now it sounds as though departure will be, too. Oh well, it will be what it will be………..

Re: Departure Hall Soft Opening Scheduled - 11/01/2023 01:10 PM

bobbarb--yes, they announced several times it was going to be November 1.
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Departure Hall Soft Opening Scheduled - 11/01/2023 02:58 PM

PREVIOUS DISCUSSION

You have to scroll back to Aug. 28 to see the pictures on the PJIA Facebook page. By Nov.1 was mentioned and supposedly Brian Mingo stood behind that date.

Attached picture 2023-11-01.png

Re: Departure Hall Soft Opening Scheduled - 11/01/2023 04:16 PM

..and at that time, no mention of a "soft opening". I think they had to default to this "soft opening", as it has to still be a massive construction zone, which is what we thought, when they announced the November 1 date.
Posted By: Kennys

Re: Departure Hall Soft Opening Scheduled - 11/01/2023 05:02 PM

Soft opening means that they will have to check and recheck how the different new electronic machines works with checking in .

Re: Departure Hall Soft Opening Scheduled - 11/01/2023 05:23 PM

I'm sure people will post about their experiences after it opens and we will see how it goes.

Re: Departure Hall Soft Opening Scheduled - 11/01/2023 06:42 PM

I guess Nov 1 is out the window.
Posted By: timnboston

Re: Departure Hall Soft Opening Scheduled - 11/01/2023 08:52 PM

Maybe Nov 1, 2024?

Re: Departure Hall Soft Opening Scheduled - 11/01/2023 10:02 PM

So much negativity! The article explains the delay was because of hurricane threats and resources being diverted to deal with that. I personally find that to be a reasonable explanation. Yes, it's taken far too long to complete the airport after Irma, but there have been multiple legitimate issues that can at least partially explain the delay. I, for one, am happy to be returning later this month. Whatever inconvenience I encounter upon arrival or departure will be soon forgotten. If the rest of you don't love the island enough to accept that there will be some bumps in the road, perhaps you should find another place to go.
Posted By: Kennys

Re: Departure Hall Soft Opening Scheduled - 11/01/2023 10:14 PM

Thanks very much for your very constructive and a bit angry response because this our home , and we could have become U.S citizens way back , but we misplaced our papers and our two children went to C.i.A locally which is affiliated with Canadian schools , hence its Canada that we go too , but not to live lol, past that age . Sunshine paradise for us St.Maarten/St.Martin.
Thanks once again and yes your are a genuine Tourist.
Posted By: timnboston

Re: Departure Hall Soft Opening Scheduled - 11/01/2023 11:04 PM

Was trying to be humorous - not negative - sorry if I upset anyone

Re: Departure Hall Soft Opening Scheduled - 11/01/2023 11:53 PM

No apology needed; I got your humor.

Re: Departure Hall Soft Opening Scheduled - 11/02/2023 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by GaKaye
So much negativity! The article explains the delay was because of hurricane threats and resources being diverted to deal with that. I personally find that to be a reasonable explanation. Yes, it's taken far too long to complete the airport after Irma, but there have been multiple legitimate issues that can at least partially explain the delay. I, for one, am happy to be returning later this month. Whatever inconvenience I encounter upon arrival or departure will be soon forgotten. If the rest of you don't love the island enough to accept that there will be some bumps in the road, perhaps you should find another place to go.

👍👍👍 WELL SAID. dance
Posted By: FatCat04

Re: Departure Hall Soft Opening Scheduled - 11/03/2023 01:13 AM

Woo Hoo!! So nice to see the progress. We just booked our tickets for our trip in Feb/March. It will have been a year and 8 months since we have been to our favorite island. Far far too long!!

Originally Posted by GaKaye
I, for one, am happy to be returning later this month. Whatever inconvenience I encounter upon arrival or departure will be soon forgotten.

So true. Travel is always a goat rope but once we get there and get settled in, the troubles melt away.

Re: Departure Hall Soft Opening Scheduled - 11/03/2023 01:08 PM

Fatcat==so, I learned something today! I had to look up "goat rope". laugh

Re: Departure Hall Soft Opening Scheduled - 11/03/2023 01:12 PM

And, while I usually disagree with anything Minister Emmanuel has to say, he has some strong words about Brian Mingo in the paper today.

Link

Re: Departure Hall Soft Opening Scheduled - 11/03/2023 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Carol_Hill
And, while I usually disagree with anything Minister Emmanuel has to say, he has some strong words about Brian Mingo in the paper today.

Link

And I would so inclined to agree with Emmanuel, for once.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline