TravelTalkOnline

So I wonder if it will happen today?

Posted By: Carol_Hill

So I wonder if it will happen today? - 11/15/2023 02:12 PM

So, I wonder if the departure hall will actually have it's soft opening today? It is weird to me, there has been nothing in the Daily Herald about it. And nothing about any visit of the royals or a high Dutch official. It's normally a BIG deal if the royals come to the island.
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: So I wonder if it will happen today? - 11/15/2023 02:21 PM

I wouldn't bet the farm on it happening.
Posted By: PnPinNC

Re: So I wonder if it will happen today? - 11/15/2023 02:41 PM

We're heading over to the airport in two hours... Will let you know.

Re: So I wonder if it will happen today? - 11/15/2023 03:07 PM

Great! Would love to hear what's going on, over there. Best wishes, as I'm sure there will be some glitches, if it happens.

Re: So I wonder if it will happen today? - 11/15/2023 05:37 PM

Just got to our gate.

Well.... It's open-ish. Very obvious that this date was a dictated must open. None of the fancy electronics passport or boarding pass stuff is working. None of the digital signage is working. Nor are the elevators. The only concession I've seen open is a half finished Dominos.
Now, having said that, checkin and security are much better! ..and not being all packed into the B gates is really nice.
I would say that about a third of the new seating is still unassembled on pallets.
It's a start.. a VERY slow one. Hard to see six years worth of work here for sure.
Remaining hopeful that in another year it will be back.

Re: So I wonder if it will happen today? - 11/15/2023 05:56 PM

OK, thanks for the report. When you say the elevators aren't working, what about the escalators? How do people who can't climb stairs get to the second floor? Have you seen them using the jetways?

Re: So I wonder if it will happen today? - 11/15/2023 06:03 PM

The escalator before security is working, but that's it. We've seen 8-10 folks with wheelchairs have to walk down to B gates on the steps.

Re: So I wonder if it will happen today? - 11/15/2023 06:05 PM

The jetways are in use for the four gates that had them before, or it looks like they are. Have only seen one plane there. Like I said we're at B gates so we're on busses and stairs still. Don't really mind that so much. The best part is having some space again. Not all crammed into downstairs.

Re: So I wonder if it will happen today? - 11/15/2023 07:28 PM

Jetways are being used for departure only. Arrivals are still stairs and busses.

Re: So I wonder if it will happen today? - 11/15/2023 07:28 PM

Wow, that makes no sense. There was an elevator down to the B gates before, right? What plane was using the jetway?

Edit--Yes, I know there was an elevator down to the B gates before, as I remember I have used it in the past. Why in the world would it not be operating?

Re: So I wonder if it will happen today? - 11/15/2023 07:39 PM

PnP--Yes, we knew that, that the jetways will be only for departures, for quite some time yet.
Posted By: pat

Re: So I wonder if it will happen today? - 11/16/2023 04:21 AM

We departed today from upstairs, gate A4, Jet Blue via the jetway there. They’re a long way from ready but it’s definitely a step in the right direction. No fanfare or hoopla and definitely not enough seating.
Posted By: Bluesfan

Re: So I wonder if it will happen today? - 11/16/2023 04:37 AM

Why were wheelchair people walking down stairs? There is a ramp tp lower level.

Re: So I wonder if it will happen today? - 11/16/2023 01:57 PM

Pat--Glad you got a jetway. Much easier for those of us with mobility issues.
Posted By: pat

Re: So I wonder if it will happen today? - 11/16/2023 03:42 PM

We were at the airport when the earlier JB to JFK departed and they, too, enjoyed the ease of a jetway. Lots of spaces for shopping when it’s finished but not much yet. We did get a bit of a chuckle over the concern for landscaping outside when there is so very much to do brfore the terminal itself is truly operational.

Re: So I wonder if it will happen today? - 11/16/2023 04:42 PM

There was a lot of shopping there, pre Irma. Perhaps it will be close to what it was, 7 years ago, when they finish, sometime next year.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline