TravelTalkOnline

SXM Arrival Today

Posted By: ScottW

SXM Arrival Today - 11/16/2023 09:17 PM

I have friends arriving today. Two couples, one has been there several times, the other has never been. They are currently standing in line. It has been over an hour and they are not even close to getting through the arrival process. The people in line are not happy. I've been going for many years and am willing to tell myself to put up with it, but for people who have never been, it is not a pleasant way to start you vacation.

Attached picture IMG_9038.jpg
Posted By: Dr Phil SXM

Re: SXM Arrival Today - 11/16/2023 09:20 PM

I just posted the same thread 30 minutes ago. It is a terrible situation at the airport. My guests have been there now 2 1/2 hours.

Drphilsxm
Posted By: erb923

Re: SXM Arrival Today - 11/16/2023 09:21 PM

As I stated in my post, it is a mess. They only allow 1 plane in per time since only 1 luggage claim belt. Hence all the different lines for each plane.

Even the people connecting to SBH or AXA used to be able to bypass the long line but if you have checked luggage even they have to wait to pick up their bags.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: SXM Arrival Today - 11/16/2023 10:00 PM

Wow, can't imagine what it will be this weekend.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: SXM Arrival Today - 11/16/2023 10:52 PM

Ah. The price one must pay to have a great time on island. Hope it does get better in time.
Posted By: Kennys

Re: SXM Arrival Today - 11/17/2023 12:38 AM

Yes Scott , today was totally terrible and Ed and some Folks nearly passed out . WE got them at 6.00pm . I'm totally pissed . Me and Wife went to Tortuga for dinner .

Re: SXM Arrival Today - 11/17/2023 12:49 AM

Lesley--why was today so bad? Really wondering how this weekend is going to be..

Re: SXM Arrival Today - 11/17/2023 01:20 AM

Carol , can't really say but will see how things go tomorrow .
Prayers for betterment .
Posted By: Kevin_B

Re: SXM Arrival Today - 11/17/2023 01:50 AM

Lesley … tell me it will be perfect by the 28th!

Re: SXM Arrival Today - 11/17/2023 01:53 AM

Lesley--OK, please post an update when you can.

Re: SXM Arrival Today - 11/17/2023 02:12 AM

Will do Carol and last week end was good .
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: SXM Arrival Today - 11/17/2023 10:51 AM

Finally, The Daily Herald has an article.

CHAOS
Posted By: dvesc

Re: SXM Arrival Today - 11/17/2023 11:53 AM

What’s the bathroom availability when waiting in line? We’ll be arriving with younger kids in a few weeks, so I’m nervous about a potentially long wait.
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: SXM Arrival Today - 11/17/2023 11:57 AM

Probably not much, if anything. Maybe a port-a-john outside but I doubt anything in the TEMPORARY arrival facility. Perhaps someone who experienced this recently can chime in.
Posted By: shieneehead

Re: SXM Arrival Today - 11/17/2023 12:48 PM

We arrive on Tuesday around 3pm. I want to check to see the flights that are scheduled for that day to see how congested it will be. The airport website only gives flight info for day of and following day. Is there another way to find this info? Lesley, you have a reservation for us that day.
Posted By: eightzerobits

Re: SXM Arrival Today - 11/17/2023 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by ruralcarrier
Probably not much, if anything. Maybe a port-a-john outside but I doubt anything in the TEMPORARY arrival facility. Perhaps someone who experienced this recently can chime in.

There are restrooms outside the TAF and inside the baggage claim area.

Here’s the latest video that walks through the facility.

https://youtu.be/a2Thhbn0uqs?feature=shared
Posted By: Whale Tail

Re: SXM Arrival Today - 11/17/2023 01:03 PM

Quote from the Herald article. "Construction of the Arrival Hall is anticipated to be finalised by the second quarter in 2024. "In time for summer travel," PJIAE said in conclusion. Well that's all fine and dandy for the summer travellers next year. But in the meantime your 2 busiest seasons for airport traffic are Winter and Spring (you should know this) and now you have a big self inflicted problem on your hands.
Posted By: TwentySix

Re: SXM Arrival Today - 11/17/2023 01:55 PM

Just to add, we came in last Saturday and it took under 30 minutes from deplaning to being out of the airport, we came in from Philadelphia on American Airlines. There was no one else on line and we walked right through.

Re: SXM Arrival Today - 11/17/2023 03:46 PM

Article doesn't address the chaos ARRIVING either.

Re: SXM Arrival Today - 11/17/2023 04:07 PM

If jetways are operational why were AA and Delta passengers bussed to planes.

Re: SXM Arrival Today - 11/17/2023 04:10 PM

Correct.
Posted By: bdeeley

Re: SXM Arrival Today - 11/17/2023 04:23 PM

Uh um, only 4 jet-bridges available, other large jets have always parked on the apron when the 4 primaries were occupied

Re: SXM Arrival Today - 11/17/2023 04:24 PM

And AA has ALWAYS had a jetway, unless there is more than one AA plane in. The article seems to indicate no AA planes will get jetways.

Re: SXM Arrival Today - 11/17/2023 04:28 PM

There have been as many as 3 AA flights on the ground, simultaneously, during weekdays. Some get jet bridges and some don't its always been that way.

Re: SXM Arrival Today - 11/17/2023 04:33 PM

No, the article said that AA planes would not have a jetway, as in, supposedly, NO AA planes will get a jetway. God knows, the Herald is often wrong though.

Re: SXM Arrival Today - 11/17/2023 04:36 PM

The article did not say that, re-read it again.

Re: SXM Arrival Today - 11/17/2023 04:41 PM

quote from the article " The airport did not mention that passengers travelling with American Airlines and Delta need to wait for buses to bring them to respective planes."

Re: SXM Arrival Today - 11/17/2023 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Carol_Hill
No, "the article said that AA planes would not have a jetway, as in, supposedly, NO AA planes will get a jetway. " God knows, the Herald is often wrong though.

And yet your post before your last one stated the above. Your reference and the quote don't share the same meaning.

Re: SXM Arrival Today - 11/17/2023 04:58 PM

Yes, I took that quote to mean that NO AA planes are getting a jetway.

Re: SXM Arrival Today - 11/17/2023 06:15 PM

Ok, can't help that logic. Carry on.
Posted By: NudeinNorthFL

Re: SXM Arrival Today - 11/17/2023 09:59 PM

Definitely carrying my bag with me to SXM. Arriving on the 28th so hoping things are better by then.

Re: SXM Arrival Today - 11/17/2023 10:43 PM

For sure, hope it gets better.

Re: SXM Arrival Today - 11/18/2023 12:10 AM

Hi Carol , today wasn't that bad , but if Airfrance and KLM arrives before the smaller flight , then it becomes a problem , sa la vie till it gets better . And I personally hate when people are looking for free food and cheap rates and would love to trash our Island . Go elsewhere then.

Re: SXM Arrival Today - 11/18/2023 12:28 AM

Lesley--OK, well, I hope tomorrow is OK, although I am concerned it is going to be a total cluster-f*ck, considering it is a Saturday.

Re: SXM Arrival Today - 11/18/2023 03:52 AM

Touch and go my Dear Carol. Prayers. And we were by Chef Davide Restaurant Sale and Pepe afterwards, good food as per norm lol 😂
Posted By: jollymonsrv

Re: SXM Arrival Today - 11/18/2023 10:45 PM

It’s Not Pretty
Posted By: The_Lurker

Re: SXM Arrival Today - 11/19/2023 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by Kennys
Touch and go my Dear Carol. Prayers. And we were by Chef Davide Restaurant Sale and Pepe afterwards, good food as per norm lol 😂

No one was looking for free food at Sale and Pepe!
We went for good food, which we got, except for it being cold and courteous service, which we didn't get.
It wasn't our first time.....enough said

We also are willing to pay reasonable rates, but will not pay $$$ above the going rate. I think it is bad when tourists
get taken advantage of.

Not planning on going elsewhere, We have been going to SXM since the 80's and have made many friends.

Sorry your nose got out of joint, because of your friend Davide, but MANY more people agreed than disagreed,
and I guess I'm a little tired of the criticism and responding back to you ...

Re: SXM Arrival Today - 11/19/2023 01:13 AM

Terri--sorry you had a bad experience there. I wasn't sure why Lesley responded regarding Sale and Peppe on this thread anyway. If you want to start a new thread about that experience, that would be fine.

Re: SXM Arrival Today - 11/19/2023 02:31 AM

Yes I posted a link to that topic from a Facebook post that got closed.. Many negative reviews mirroring your experience. Off our list for now unless things change.
Posted By: Colour1

Re: SXM Arrival Today - 11/19/2023 08:32 AM

This problem is no different than a car that gets caught in a flood. Once a car goes underwater it is junk!! That is what this airport is JUNK!!! What do you do with junk, you get rid of it and buy new or start from scratch!! This building was underwater with the amount of water damage. It was junk! It's SIX full years that this building is still JUNK. Junk can not be fixed, as you think you have one issue resolved another issues pops up and so on and so on and the money pit continues!! We came in oct20th around 1:00 ish and waited after one other carrier was in one hour in swelter bodies with a couple of AC's working and now they "say" second quarter??? Management must think we are stupid to believe anything they have to say at this point or any other point. One of my clients landed yesterday for the first time ever on my recommendation. Bet I lost that client!! I can only pray that there stay at La Samanna wiped away horrible experience dealing with the arrival cluster "****"!!
Posted By: The_Lurker

Re: SXM Arrival Today - 11/20/2023 09:44 PM

Been seeing some good reports on the airport.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline