TravelTalkOnline

Gorgeous morning on SXM

Posted By: bdeeley

Gorgeous morning on SXM - 11/22/2023 12:59 PM

After two days of weather unrest, today has opened with a beautiful morning on Simpson Bay. The water is extremely calm, the sun is shining, Saba is making herself visible and the winds are very light.

Description: Simpson Bay
Attached picture IMG_20231122_075722_burst_01.jpg
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Gorgeous morning on SXM - 11/22/2023 01:07 PM

Sounds like a great day! Enjoy!

Re: Gorgeous morning on SXM - 11/22/2023 01:49 PM

Thank you J.D. I will lift a cold one for you.
Posted By: MotownTim

Re: Gorgeous morning on SXM - 11/22/2023 02:13 PM

Can you see if Dinghey’s has a lot of umbrellas yet?
Posted By: Todd

Re: Gorgeous morning on SXM - 11/22/2023 02:23 PM

There now, container is at Tropical, now to just get their hands on them. They are hoping to have them late today. We have a "cabana", all good for us, margaritas in hand.

Calm surf, very very little seagrass if any, clouds passing but mostly sunny, service good so far, life is great!
Posted By: lcote

Re: Gorgeous morning on SXM - 11/22/2023 03:08 PM

That's what I am talking about. Beautiful picture. Thanks for sharing.

Re: Gorgeous morning on SXM - 11/22/2023 03:28 PM

Thank you for the update, you saved me a long walk.

Re: Gorgeous morning on SXM - 11/22/2023 03:49 PM

I would have bought your cocktail!
Posted By: Bluesfan

Re: Gorgeous morning on SXM - 11/22/2023 05:12 PM

Anyone at DBB tell them to clean the web camera lens. May be salt spray on lens.

Re: Gorgeous morning on SXM - 11/22/2023 08:36 PM

What is the cost for a cabana and how many people can it reasonably accommodate? If eating/drinking is the cabana comped? Thanks, and enjoy!

Re: Gorgeous morning on SXM - 11/22/2023 09:39 PM

No cost, they are pretty simple much like an inexpensive easy up. Four chais under gets crowded.

I would report that service was acceptable and at times very good. Very nice people, food was very good. Six of us for lunch, split checks. Zero service/tip added to the check but did list a suggested tip amount at the bottom of the check.

Hopefully they have the umbrellas soon.
Posted By: Whale Tail

Re: Gorgeous morning on SXM - 11/22/2023 09:54 PM

I like the zero sc/tip not added in and a suggested tip at the bottom of the check is the way it should be. Looking forward to checking this place out.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Gorgeous morning on SXM - 11/22/2023 10:07 PM

Sounds like they might be getting their act together on the tip/sc debacle.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Gorgeous morning on SXM - 11/22/2023 10:45 PM

Todd--glad to hear that they seem to have figured out the service charge deal.

Re: Gorgeous morning on SXM - 11/22/2023 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by Carol_Hill
Todd--glad to hear that they seem to have figured out the service charge deal.

🤞That they really have and that wasn't a fluke.

Re: Gorgeous morning on SXM - 11/23/2023 01:18 AM

Thanks!

Re: Gorgeous morning on SXM - 11/23/2023 01:54 AM

Pretty good crowd down there today. I saw at least 3 different cats there with a full load from the cruise ships, plus at least one loaded power boat filled from the cruise ships. It's great to see Dinghy's getting all this business. Very nice people there.

Re: Gorgeous morning on SXM - 11/23/2023 02:09 AM

Hope they do well and keep the most recent tip/sc policy up to the discretion of the patrons.

Re: Gorgeous morning on SXM - 11/23/2023 10:40 AM

Only one Cat, Golden Eagle, had people actually get to the shore and they all stayed below the chairs with no interaction with Dinghy. The other Golden Eagle I did not notice actually staying there but I didn't pay attention during lunch. Random Wind came into the area but they seemed to stay out at the boat area and swim, did not touch the shore.

We will go back a few times over the next several weeks assuming they have the same beach situation. We personally would not have an issue if they added say 15% or pushed it to 18%. 20% seemed a bit aggressive but that still wouldn't have stopped me. With the free chairs with lunch this place is good and very reasonable.
Posted By: MotownTim

Re: Gorgeous morning on SXM - 11/23/2023 11:05 AM

We’ve got about a week left in our trip. I’m hoping they can get the umbrellas in the next couple days. But we will see.
Posted By: The_Lurker

Re: Gorgeous morning on SXM - 11/23/2023 05:49 PM

We are happy to hear that the service and food are good---

Plus chairs and umbrellas---sounds like 20% isn't bad at all if they added it.

Re: Gorgeous morning on SXM - 11/23/2023 06:08 PM

"sounds like 20% isn't bad at all if they added it"
To me that would depend on how much the final bill was. Doesn't take any more effort to serve a $20.00 entre than an $80.00 one. Makes a big difference in tip amount. I don't tip on a set percentage but instead what I believe the server deserves. I like to make that call instead of having it dictated to me.
Posted By: The_Lurker

Re: Gorgeous morning on SXM - 11/23/2023 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by SXMScubaman
"sounds like 20% isn't bad at all if they added it"
To me that would depend on how much the final bill was. Doesn't take any more effort to serve a $20.00 entre than an $80.00 one. Makes a big difference in tip amount. I don't tip on a set percentage but instead what I believe the server deserves. I like to make that call instead of having it dictated to me.

True--was just responding to Todd's comment about if a percentage was added.
Posted By: snuba

Re: Gorgeous morning on SXM - 11/23/2023 09:00 PM

Well, couple of those Golden Eagle cats anchored right in front of BSV and very close to the shore. Dropped them all in the water, brought their booze cooler and parked it right at pool wall. The beach is very narrow right now, almost non-existent, so they all stood there looking into our units. Quite a few of us here weren't very happy. But it was fun to watch their one of their dinghies flip over with all the booze in it.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Gorgeous morning on SXM - 11/23/2023 09:09 PM

snuba--well, that sucks for you, but at least they weren't there for very long. Thankfully, we have not had that experience.

Please post some GOOD news and maybe some pics! smile

Re: Gorgeous morning on SXM - 11/24/2023 06:22 AM

Those were the ones I was referencing. They looked like they were mostly spread out in front of Beachside Villas. I'm up past Mary's Boon so sometimes the perspective is off as I look down that way. They looked mostly harmless from 1/2 mile away.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline