TravelTalkOnline

Club O beach

Posted By: Zappafan54

Club O beach - 12/26/2023 08:02 PM

My wife and I are thinking of going back to the island after many years away. We always stayed at Club O and I was wondering how close the parking is to the perch. Walking can be a problem if it is too far. Thanks for any info.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Club O beach - 12/26/2023 08:39 PM

Parking is right by the Perch. No problem.
Posted By: bostonbob

Re: Club O beach - 12/26/2023 09:37 PM

Parking can get quite clogged up near the perch. If walking at all is an issue,I would recommend an early 9:00-10:00 arrival.
Posted By: cacapasa

Re: Club O beach - 12/27/2023 09:31 AM

Yes, the earlier you arrive the closer you will be to the Perch and to the beach. But as you have been away, it might take a few minutes for you to get your bearings straight, as the entrance is not where it used to be near the Club O office. It is closer to the water now and this edition of the Perch is farther back from the water than the original pre-Irma.
Posted By: Lucky13

Re: Club O beach - 12/27/2023 05:58 PM

You won't have a problem. Worst case scenario is you park in the old Pedro's lot and walk over (less than 100 yards or so to Perch Lite). Perch Lite is a great re-imagining of the old Perch, unfortunately without Willie. Get a couple of orange chairs and a yellow umbrella from Cedric, and it feels just like Club O of old. Just keep your eyes towards the water and don't look back at the ruins...
Posted By: BillDauterive

Re: Club O beach - 12/30/2023 03:40 PM

If the lot at Perch is full, you can always drop-off the ambulatorily impaired person at Perch, and drive a little way to park.

This way, there's less pressure to get there early.

Also... Regarding the ruins, while Carol advised against walking through, I did so on my visit in Feb 2023. I didn't feel unsafe, but then again, I'm a dude and the few locals lurking there there left me alone. I got the feeling they were working in sales, and I wasn't interested in buying anything.

Having said that, there's little structural danger there. What's going to fall down has already done so.

Visit at your own risk.

Re: Club O beach - 12/30/2023 08:22 PM

Bill--I wasn't worried about structural danger. Just several people have reported folks hanging out in the ruins that made them uncomfortable.
Posted By: TravelHat

Re: Club O beach - 12/31/2023 03:22 AM

Shackwackers formerly known as Bushwackers
Posted By: BillDauterive

Re: Club O beach - 01/05/2024 01:57 AM

Yeah. I get ya, Carol.

During my visit, I spoke to a couple women who were "cruise visitors." I started chatting them up after they took a walk to near the remains of the restaurant. They said that, while on their walk, that two different dudes offered to sell them weed.

I've walked through the ruins over the past several years, and I've never seen any obscene behavior. In fact, I've never seen any locals lingering there, so it's possible that the inappropriate activities might be anecdotal. If you go, be careful, though.

Also (not related to this discussion), the cruise women took selfies, with me in the background (I believe intentionally, so they can giggle while showing the photos to colleagues back home: "Look at that dude! He's NAKED!"). While I didn't like it, I just held the book I was reading up, blocking my face from the camera lens. While I didn't HATE that it occurred (I didn't say anything to them), I do miss the security that came with a functioning Club O.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Club O beach - 01/05/2024 03:00 AM

To be expected if you're all out there. Doesn't make it right but it is what it is.
Posted By: jeepers

Re: Club O beach - 01/06/2024 02:34 AM

Cedric & helpers have been seen to take cameras from voyeurs. Big sign No Photos!
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Club O beach - 01/06/2024 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by jeepers
Cedric & helpers have been seen to take cameras from voyeurs. Big sign No Photos!

That works unless the person resists. Then what? Authorities can't do anything to enforce something that's not a law on a public beach.

Re: Club O beach - 01/06/2024 02:03 PM

But it IS a law. In France, it is illegal to take someone's picture without their permission, clothed or not.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline