TravelTalkOnline

Simpson Bay Empty of Boats this Evening

Posted By: CanuckTravlr

Simpson Bay Empty of Boats this Evening - 02/05/2024 11:06 PM

I have been coming to the island for about 10 years. I was shocked late this afternoon.

Earlier today, as is typically the case, there were lots of boats in Simpson Bay of all sizes, from small sailboats to large yachts. Around 6 pm I went out on the balcony to check out the sunset. All the boats were gone!! The bay was empty other than, count them, 4 (that's not a typo) smaller sailboats. I have never experienced that before. I did take some pics, but will have to figure out how to transfer them to here.

I looked for a weather or marine warning. It is very windy today and swells are reported as 5 to 7 feet, but haven't found any references beyond that. Very strange and a bit eerie.
Posted By: Kennys

Re: Simpson Bay Empty of Boats this Evening - 02/05/2024 11:12 PM

There is a sea warning in effect as we speak and the sea by us in Beach Hill and Maho Beach is very rough now .
Posted By: foreversxm

Re: Simpson Bay Empty of Boats this Evening - 02/05/2024 11:31 PM

I heard about the approaching rain and winds but can't image they would leave for just that. Normally they go into the lagoon. Odd.

Re: Simpson Bay Empty of Boats this Evening - 02/05/2024 11:39 PM

They may well have gone into the lagoon for extra shelter. As Lesley reported on Maho and Beach Hill, there are also strong winds and heavy surf here on the eastern end of Simpson Bay Beach, about half-way between the lagoon entrance and Mary's Boon.

I was out this afternoon, so I have no idea as to where the boats may have gone. When I left, the normal menagerie of boats were there, when I got back just before sunset, they were gone.
Posted By: bostonbob

Re: Simpson Bay Empty of Boats this Evening - 02/05/2024 11:57 PM

If you look at the Sunset Maho cam right now, you will see what the weather is doing. I have watched the beach slowly erode many times,but have never seen the sand just shale away like an ice floe.

Re: Simpson Bay Empty of Boats this Evening - 02/06/2024 01:21 AM

But the yachts are at Sale and Pepe SkyPort Dock and also at the SimpsonBay yacht docks too.

Re: Simpson Bay Empty of Boats this Evening - 02/06/2024 02:26 AM

Yes, but those are inside the lagoon, where they are somewhat protected and not subject to the larger waves of the open sea. And most of those larger boats are always there. That's where they dock.

Re: Simpson Bay Empty of Boats this Evening - 02/06/2024 03:25 AM

Yes correct .
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Simpson Bay Empty of Boats this Evening - 02/06/2024 01:50 PM

It did a number on the beach at Maho.
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: Simpson Bay Empty of Boats this Evening - 02/06/2024 01:51 PM

There is at least one sailboat run aground in Simpson Bay. Ferry service to Anguilla ceased. Obviously the seas are rough.
Posted By: MotownTim

Re: Simpson Bay Empty of Boats this Evening - 02/06/2024 02:47 PM

Very windy today and large waves all over. That must have been a long bridge opening yesterday…
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: Simpson Bay Empty of Boats this Evening - 02/06/2024 03:10 PM

There were sea advisories yesterday. And I think more today.
Posted By: lcote

Re: Simpson Bay Empty of Boats this Evening - 02/06/2024 03:19 PM

It's so odd to see Maho beach with the sand nearly gone but Great bay waves are tiny!
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Simpson Bay Empty of Boats this Evening - 02/06/2024 03:22 PM

Sunset webcam

Wow!
Posted By: Mikel

Re: Simpson Bay Empty of Boats this Evening - 02/06/2024 03:29 PM

A few extra sailboats have come to apparently ride the weather out in Oyster Pond also.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Simpson Bay Empty of Boats this Evening - 02/06/2024 04:29 PM

Small craft advisory for today.
LINK

Re: Simpson Bay Empty of Boats this Evening - 02/06/2024 04:39 PM

Yes, the sailboat that came ashore by the Las Arenas Condos and is now capsized is one of the four that was still in the Bay last night. It obviously came loose from its moorings overnight.

Heavy winds and seas this morning. The surf is almost to our seawall right now. There is now a large barge that has taken anchor in the bay to get some level of shelter. Plus a half-dozen boats now anchored off Kim Sha Beach and the Simpson Bay Resort. Very unusual conditions for this time of year, IME.
Posted By: Zanshin

Re: Simpson Bay Empty of Boats this Evening - 02/06/2024 05:25 PM

Windguru and other websites show why. With southern winds and a big swell, Simpson Bay is going to be untenable for boats. Most have fled inside the lagoon, as the winds are clocking and at some point every anchorage is going to be bad for next couple of days. The 3m south swell is going to wreak havoc.

Hit the "play" button to watch the fun: https://www.windy.com/?18.365,-62.501,8
Posted By: MotownTim

Re: Simpson Bay Empty of Boats this Evening - 02/06/2024 06:08 PM

When I walked by this AM the beach was much larger. It went fast!
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline