TravelTalkOnline

Groceries

Posted By: singbeach

Groceries - 02/15/2024 03:09 PM

Staying on Simpson Bay, looking for best organic, pasture raised, grass fed, healthy food options, as at times we will cook! Also anyone BRING YOUR OWN FROZEN MEATS? Thanks for info!
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Groceries - 02/15/2024 03:20 PM

Don't know about organic, but we always bring a small cooler of frozen meats. Always carry it onboard, after once--only once--we packed in checked luggage and of course didn't see the luggage for a couple of days.
Posted By: pat

Re: Groceries - 02/15/2024 08:16 PM

Once upon a time we would bring our own meat but for many years now anything we want is easily found on the island and often times nicer than what we get in the supermarkets at home. Couldn’t be bothered these days, but no issues with those who do. And if I don’t bring it then I don’t feel obligated to cook it?..
Posted By: erb923

Re: Groceries - 02/15/2024 08:28 PM

A couple of months ago Monoprix had some high quality USA frozen meats/beef/steaks ($$$$), they also carry a very nice selection of produce/goods/drinks. Think some stuff is organic, also the french eggs are very good.

Location Monoprix

Re: Groceries - 02/15/2024 08:51 PM

pat--as you know, we cook in a LOT, so it's not a big deal to bring stuff, but we are very specific and selective about what we bring.
Posted By: Todd_Melinda_K

Re: Groceries - 02/15/2024 09:26 PM

We discovered a butcher shop in Marigot last month. It’s called Autour de La Ferme and it’s right next to Bacchus in Marigot basically across the street from the Anguilla ferry/parking lot. They have a nice selection of meats that are imported from small farms in France. According to their website the farms are certified organic in France. Unfortunately we discovered it the day before we left so we didn’t buy any to try, so I can’t offer my opinion on how the meat is. It is a very nice shop and we will definitely return next year.

Website
Posted By: Kennys

Re: Groceries - 02/15/2024 10:46 PM

Thanks very much for this discovery and will check them out for sure.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Groceries - 02/16/2024 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by Carol_Hill
pat--as you know, we cook in a LOT, so it's not a big deal to bring stuff, but we are very specific and selective about what we bring.

Same here. Just can't eat restaurant food every day for 4 weeks.

Re: Groceries - 02/16/2024 12:50 AM

Scuba--we are on island for less than 2 weeks, but we still prefer to eat in pretty often.
Posted By: Kennys

Re: Groceries - 02/16/2024 01:21 AM

Well Dear Pat , sometimes with our customers coming for weeks , their luggage is no joke , lol with weight .
Posted By: singbeach

Re: Groceries - 02/16/2024 04:08 AM

Where do you shop for groceries?

Re: Groceries - 02/16/2024 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by Carol_Hill
Scuba--we are on island for less than 2 weeks, but we still prefer to eat in pretty often.

I would too.

Re: Groceries - 02/16/2024 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by singbeach
Where do you shop for groceries?

Carrefour and Market Garden.
Posted By: pat

Re: Groceries - 02/16/2024 02:26 PM

We typically use Jeannie Gunthanen’s Shopndrop grocery service for our initial stocking of our unit but from that point on we usually use one of the Carrefours or Market Garden unless we need a single item and then we might run into whatever store might be most convenient. The little market at Maho, a subsidiary of Market Garden so I was told - is the closest and would be most convenient but parking there can be very problematic.
Posted By: RonDon

Re: Groceries - 02/16/2024 02:39 PM

Singbeach Not nearby but not far is MONOPRIX health, organic etc foods.

Located on road toward Marigot. If taking the causeway, turn left then BEFORE the round-about that heads toward waterfront of Marigot, on LEFT in a strip mall of businesses is Monoprix. If you miss the turn (as my hubby always does) go around the round about and turn around. Driveway entrance will now be on right.

Re: Groceries - 02/16/2024 02:40 PM

Yes, Maho parking can be dicey. We either go to one of the big Carrefours or to Super U for virtually all our stuff. I find Market Garden to be very expensive.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline