TravelTalkOnline

Airport Arrival Update

Posted By: marybeth

Airport Arrival Update - 03/03/2024 07:53 PM

I’m back on SXM after 6 years. I was dreading the airport experience. And I must say it wasn’t bad at all. I came in on Friday, both Westjet and KLM were ahead of my Delta flight, so I figured a long wait. I did order a W/C as I could never stand in 1 place for al ong time. W/C service was excellent. When I got wheeled into the baggage belt Westjets bags were on the belt. I figured KLM was coming out next but nope, Delta's bags were next. I was out in less than an hour. My brother came in on United out of Dulles, landed after 2pm and it took them 37 minutes to exit the airport. Might have just been our lucky day but I have no complaints.
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Airport Arrival Update - 03/03/2024 11:26 PM

Good deal. We will be down next week.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Airport Arrival Update - 03/03/2024 11:27 PM

Glad to hear that you lucked out. Enjoy your stay!
Posted By: Tom8042

Re: Airport Arrival Update - 03/04/2024 10:21 AM

Hi Everyone,

I arrived Friday at 2.30. One thing I did not understand was that you go through immigration first, which is fairly small. So when you deplane they put you in those long lines for immigration, even if you only have a carry on you can not skip it. Once you clear immigration then you go through bagged claim, which of course you can skip.

We had a friend use the VIP service for $75 and she was out in 15 min. They meet you at the entrance to the long lines.

Re: Airport Arrival Update - 03/04/2024 02:14 PM

I actually thought it was the opposite, baggage claim first, but haven't been through it. Obviously you can't skip immigration. It's pretty clear that the temporary arrival facilities are way too small.
Posted By: RonDon

Re: Airport Arrival Update - 03/04/2024 08:14 PM

How does one get VIP service?
Posted By: lcote

Re: Airport Arrival Update - 03/04/2024 08:30 PM

RonDon, Enquiring minds want to know!!
Posted By: erb923

Re: Airport Arrival Update - 03/04/2024 09:02 PM

Have no idea but if you google there are many companies offering these types of service at SXM

LINK
Posted By: barryvabeach

Re: Airport Arrival Update - 03/06/2024 12:36 AM

It is definitely immigration first, then pick up bags. I haven't used them, but we did see at least one VIP service - not sure if it was this one https://vipservices.sx/ or this one, https://www.airsxm.com/vipservices or a different one. Like it says on the page, they had the passenger's name and met them at the arrivals before immigration and took them to the front of the line. For us, it would have only saved 5 or 10 minutes, but on a busy day, it would could help cut the time.
Posted By: RonDon

Re: Airport Arrival Update - 03/07/2024 06:47 PM

Thanks barryvabeach it worked like a charm

Re: Airport Arrival Update - 03/07/2024 07:42 PM

Hi RonDon--did you arrive on island?
Posted By: singbeach

Re: Airport Arrival Update - 03/07/2024 07:54 PM

Marybeth...Bags or immigration first? I will also have wheelchair due to new knee! Wondering about VIP!

Re: Airport Arrival Update - 03/07/2024 07:55 PM

Recommendation please. Arriving on Saturday 3.23, wheelchair assistance. Should we look into VIP service?
Posted By: lcote

Re: Airport Arrival Update - 03/07/2024 07:58 PM

I used the wheelchair service in December when I got there. I can walk, but my back gets very very sore standing for more than like 10 minutes,
That seemed like VIP service as far as I am concerned. The attendants are great!
From what I am reading, VIP service will wait for your bags and deliver them for you.
That would be nice to have.

Re: Airport Arrival Update - 03/07/2024 08:14 PM

Bags or Imigration first? And leaving okay too? Also curious re MCP!
Posted By: erb923

Re: Airport Arrival Update - 03/07/2024 08:17 PM

Immigration first, then pick up your bags. The Mobile Passport Control is only useful when returning to the United States, no bearing on arriving in SXM.

MPC link

Re: Airport Arrival Update - 03/07/2024 08:25 PM

😊 ty

Re: Airport Arrival Update - 03/07/2024 08:27 PM

Anyone have MPC picture for Android...google play store?
Posted By: marybeth

Re: Airport Arrival Update - 03/07/2024 09:03 PM

No clue about VIP. But it was immigration first then bags. If you’re in a W/C you don’t need VIP, bags will only come out when they unload the plane. I was very happy with the W/C service.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline