TravelTalkOnline

Underhanded Billing at Captain's Rib Shack

Posted By: Zanshin

Underhanded Billing at Captain's Rib Shack - 03/20/2024 12:30 AM

I just returned from a tasty dinner at the Captain's Rib Shack on Kim Sha beach. I'd been there many times in the past but hadn't returned in a while. I noticed two things, the first just an observation but the second disturbed me enough to make me think twice about returning:

1. It is no longer a LoLo and a simple meal including two sides is $24 plus drinks.

2. The bill contains a line item for 15% service charge. While that isn't necessarily an issue, underneath the total in a somewhat bigger font they have several lines showing what the 15%, 20% and 25% tip amounts are, and they are based on the meal price that already includes 15% service. The unwary would then look at the 15% amount and add at least that to the bill - making a grand total of over 30% service charge; and if one adds the higher amounts as suggested on the bill it is easy to reach a 50% tip. And it really still is just a BBQ place with benches for seating right on the main strip and not a place where one might envision paying extra for good service.
Posted By: bdeeley

Re: Underhanded Billing at Captain's Rib Shack - 03/20/2024 01:18 AM

This behavior was going on with restaurants, 25 years ago, when people weren't so aware of the tipping/service charge/tax on the Dutch side. The best you can do is be aware, double check your bill and tip what you're comfortable.
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Underhanded Billing at Captain's Rib Shack - 03/20/2024 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by bdeeley
This behavior was going on with restaurants, 25 years ago, when people weren't so aware of the tipping/service charge/tax on the Dutch side. The best you can do is be aware, double check your bill and tip what your comfortable.

Correct. Pay attention and sadly, let the buyer beware.

And, perhaps this is why Captain's Rib Shack has not been busy anytime we have passed.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Underhanded Billing at Captain's Rib Shack - 03/20/2024 02:14 AM

Maybe if more aware customers voiced their displeasure with this they might reconsider this tactic.
Posted By: Kennys

Re: Underhanded Billing at Captain's Rib Shack - 03/20/2024 02:49 AM

Some restaurants do post the break down so that people can figure what to to tip .

Re: Underhanded Billing at Captain's Rib Shack - 03/20/2024 03:09 AM

Yes but the problem is with the auto added SC and then suggesting an added tip on top. Very deceptive.
Posted By: bdeeley

Re: Underhanded Billing at Captain's Rib Shack - 03/20/2024 11:27 AM

Most North Americans that can afford to vacation in Sint Maarten, can also figure out the amount to tip on their restaurant bill.

The problem that I have, is the practice that many restaurants have of adding a charge that they list as a service charge, tax or another anomalous charge and then asking for an additional tip on top. They are attempting to rip off the unaware customer, and that is sleazy.
Posted By: Todd

Re: Underhanded Billing at Captain's Rib Shack - 03/20/2024 11:28 AM

I agree that it is deceptive, good to pay attention and look over the check wherever you are.

Re: Underhanded Billing at Captain's Rib Shack - 03/20/2024 11:34 AM

One another note about deception. Some feel they have been ripped off when buying gas as they pay in USD but only get the NAF amount. I have noticed the SOL stations now have large signs out about the NAF-USD conversion. Not saying someone may not get taken advantage of if they don't know the conversion or pay attention at the pump but it seems the stations are TRYING to be a little more transparent. I got gas at the SOL station near the causeway bridge. One day it was self-service and prepay so I went inside, pair in USD and was given a receipt ink NAF but clearly stamped the amount was NAF. $30 USD=FAF 54.
Posted By: Jc1925

Re: Underhanded Billing at Captain's Rib Shack - 03/20/2024 11:43 AM

On the Island now. Most of the restaurants we’ve visited have these write ups on the bill. On several occasions the server informed us that they only received 5% of that service cost.
Posted By: Todd

Re: Underhanded Billing at Captain's Rib Shack - 03/20/2024 11:46 AM

That is the servers issue, not yours. You also don't know if telling the truth or tips are shared. Not your problem, ignore.
Posted By: erb923

Re: Underhanded Billing at Captain's Rib Shack - 03/20/2024 11:47 AM

I enjoy the French side, where a 5%-10%ish tip is all you need to leave and is totally the norm.
Posted By: Whale Tail

Re: Underhanded Billing at Captain's Rib Shack - 03/20/2024 11:55 AM

bdeeley, completely agree with your assessment

Re: Underhanded Billing at Captain's Rib Shack - 03/20/2024 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Todd
That is the servers issue, not yours. You also don't know if telling the truth or tips are shared. Not your problem, ignore.

Correct and another reason to NEVER ask. The then know you don't know and you are open to deception.
Posted By: kim

Re: Underhanded Billing at Captain's Rib Shack - 03/20/2024 12:26 PM

And if you can’t do the math - which I even figured out finally. Head over the border to the Cadisco in Nettle Bay - Euro/USD 1/1 and they pump
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Underhanded Billing at Captain's Rib Shack - 03/20/2024 01:09 PM

Zanshin--agreed, that is deceptive and they count on people being drunk and not paying attention. We used to go there years ago, but the last time we went, a couple years ago, the service (??) was horrible and the food was definitely not worth the money. It's off our list.
Posted By: The_Lurker

Re: Underhanded Billing at Captain's Rib Shack - 03/20/2024 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by kim
And if you can’t do the math - which I even figured out finally. Head over the border to the Cadisco in Nettle Bay - Euro/USD 1/1 and they pump

And a nice store attached!

Re: Underhanded Billing at Captain's Rib Shack - 03/20/2024 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Todd

Exactly. If servers don't like the tip policy they should find another job.
Posted By: jazzgal

Re: Underhanded Billing at Captain's Rib Shack - 03/20/2024 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by kim

I go ONLY to Cadisco for gas. There are three locations I'm aware of so always do a fill-up when I am near one. They pump and it's one-to-one.
Posted By: Carib_Ian

Re: Underhanded Billing at Captain's Rib Shack - 03/20/2024 10:27 PM

What has become clear is that restaurant owners expect customers to enable a dysfunctional compensation structure for employees.

Re: Underhanded Billing at Captain's Rib Shack - 03/20/2024 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by Carib_Ian
What has become clear is that restaurant owners expect customers to enable a dysfunctional compensation structure for employees.

Got that right.👌 At least some do but not all.
Posted By: Beansbbq

Re: Underhanded Billing at Captain's Rib Shack - 03/20/2024 11:40 PM

Speaking for only where I live in the US. We see the occasional "service charge" added to a bill and there is usually an explanation to it. But when we "travel" we pay attention but also treat it like we do when we dine around our area. We've been told it's a generic charge to offset raising the rates on a menu. That being said, we've also been told at restaurants that we truly trust that it goes to the whole staff. That statement doesn't track for all restaurants. As someone who grew up in the service industry I would never trust all the owners to be honest and take care of their staff. But I would like to think that maybe the bulk of them are possibly treating their staff a little better with the "service charge". And in our opinion, regardless of the "service charge", we will always tip out our service staff on top of the service charge because in most establishments they have to pay down to those who help.

Re: Underhanded Billing at Captain's Rib Shack - 03/20/2024 11:52 PM

I had it added to a restaurant back home with the explanation it was to cover the employees Health Insurance Plan. WHAT. Isn't that the employer's responsibility. 🤔
Posted By: foreversxm

Re: Underhanded Billing at Captain's Rib Shack - 03/21/2024 01:10 AM

CHECK YOUR Receipts very carefully. A lot of the smaller markets and even bigger ones over charge often and on purpose. We caught one adding an extra $20 to a $65 bill in ringing items in a the wrong or higher price.

Re: Underhanded Billing at Captain's Rib Shack - 03/21/2024 02:33 AM

We always check our receipts. Happens a lot at home.
Posted By: RonDon

Re: Underhanded Billing at Captain's Rib Shack - 03/21/2024 10:22 AM

Just yesterday at Carrefore Cole Bay I purchased two bottles water and a baguette and cashier said 10.90. I asked her to recheck because, laughing, I said one expensive loaf of bread. What she’d Done was charge me for twelve bottles water..
Posted By: lcote

Re: Underhanded Billing at Captain's Rib Shack - 03/21/2024 11:37 AM

"Speaking for only where I live in the US. We see the occasional "service charge" added to a bill and there is usually an explanation to it. But when we "travel" we pay attention but also treat it like we do when we dine around our area. We've been told it's a generic charge to offset raising the rates on a menu. That being said, we've also been told at restaurants that we truly trust that it goes to the whole staff. That statement doesn't track for all restaurants. As someone who grew up in the service industry I would never trust all the owners to be honest and take care of their staff. But I would like to think that maybe the bulk of them are possibly treating their staff a little better with the "service charge". And in our opinion, regardless of the "service charge", we will always tip out our service staff on top of the service charge because in most establishments they have to pay down to those who help."

Yeah, the explanation is they don't want to pay to re-print the menus so instead they add a service charge.
Posted By: EdB

Re: Underhanded Billing at Captain's Rib Shack - 03/21/2024 01:51 PM

We are on island now too. Noticed most restaurants we have been at are adding the sc. Even restaurants that hadn't in the past! Also noticed that drink prices have never been higher...even though the cost of alcohol remains quite low on the island. Been here a week, and haven't posted a trip report yet. Guess sand gravity has taking its toll so far.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Underhanded Billing at Captain's Rib Shack - 03/21/2024 02:09 PM

OK, Ed, enough of this sluffing off! grin Trip report due!! impatient grin
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline