TravelTalkOnline

Uber or similar on SXM?

Posted By: TJTrippe

Uber or similar on SXM? - 04/17/2024 02:16 PM

I’m sure the cabbie union is strong on the island, but Uber (or similar) has been quite convenient on recent trips to Europe and Asia.

Has Uber had any inroads on the island even if it were cabbies responding.

Even when we moved by various means in other countries sometimes we said “see if we can get an Uber to place X”

Very nice not to be worried about cash or unscrupulous cabbies.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Uber or similar on SXM? - 04/17/2024 02:19 PM

TJ--I have no idea why you think that Uber would be more trustworthy than cabbies, but so far, there is no such thing on SXM.
Posted By: murphycpcu

Re: Uber or similar on SXM? - 04/17/2024 03:18 PM

I will chime in on this. Because with an Uber you the price up front. The driver's rating up front and most importantly you will not have to deal with "sorry I have no change" when they in an all cash business.

Re: Uber or similar on SXM? - 04/17/2024 03:32 PM

murphy--as you should know, things in SXM just aren't that organized..
Posted By: murphycpcu

Re: Uber or similar on SXM? - 04/17/2024 03:35 PM

I get the island time atmosphere but saying you have no change when its a cash transaction is insulting. That being said I have enjoyed many taxi rides so the problem is contained to a few.

Re: Uber or similar on SXM? - 04/17/2024 04:02 PM

Had mostly good experience on SXM. With Uber, there is no emotion or haggling and it is cashless which I prefer. I’ve had some wide disparity in price coming/going or one day to the next.

In New York, sometimes you get a cab now versus a private vehicle.

Main objective is known price and cashless transaction. No surprises.
Posted By: Zanshin

Re: Uber or similar on SXM? - 04/17/2024 04:02 PM

Take a bus. They drive frequently, stop wherever you flag them down, let you off wherever you ask them to. All for $1.50 or $2. Just as fast, if not faster than a cab and often you have interesting conversation with your fellow passengers. I'm about to go ashore and take one to the airport from the SMYC smile

Re: Uber or similar on SXM? - 04/17/2024 04:03 PM

I think my point was that, even if there were such a thing on SXM, to expect there to be an online ratings system, etc., on SXM is stretching it. It's actually been a few years since I've taken a cab ride on SXM, so I don't know whether most have change or not. The only cab ride I have taken in recent years was with Wilfred Brooks, who is a professional in all respects.
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Uber or similar on SXM? - 04/17/2024 04:17 PM

When the island can't get the airport up and running at full speed after 7 years, I would not hold my breath for Uber or anything else like that.

Re: Uber or similar on SXM? - 04/17/2024 05:10 PM

https://www.uber.com/global/en/cities/

10,000 cities in the world have Uber. The majority I’ve never heard of like Chittagong, Bangladesh. A few countries have their own equivalent like “Grab” in Singapore.

It would be simple for SXM to get it but Im sure some protective laws prevent it. Paris has Uber as does much of France. Amsterdam has it. Is not SXM France and Netherlands-“ish”?

People have cars, UBER has the app, people have credit cards. Seems simple.

Re: Uber or similar on SXM? - 04/17/2024 05:14 PM

Go for it, if you'd like to start that business in SXM..
Posted By: Zanshin

Re: Uber or similar on SXM? - 04/17/2024 06:36 PM

I just got back from a round trip to pick up some cargo between the terminal and sunset beach. $2 each way, air conditioned, and fast. I believe the going rate for a cab is $15 from the SMYC to the airport.
@TJTrippe - Germany doesn't have Uber, and many other countries have banned/restricted these types of carriage systems. There's not a snowball's chance in any of Dante's 9 circles of hell of an Uber getting established on any of the Caribbean islands I've been to. Including the USVI, which is USA-ish.
Posted By: kim

Re: Uber or similar on SXM? - 04/17/2024 07:00 PM

Put this link in your WhatsApp, mute it! But super easy for getting a cab

https://chat.whatsapp.com/CisYOboiPkHH04Ym3fRVRO

Re: Uber or similar on SXM? - 04/17/2024 07:02 PM

As always, Zanshin, you are a fount of knowledge..

Re: Uber or similar on SXM? - 04/17/2024 10:13 PM

Zanshin. Actually, I used Uber in Berlin and Munich last year as well as Prague and Paris. Really great going from Beer hall to beer hall. No hailing, no phone calls and I can see where the coming car is comin from. Same in Paris. Road the Metro from here to there to ther and in the end just wanted to go to hotel. Uber, Voila.

Dresden, however does not. Had to hit an ATM to get a ride from train station to hotel.
Posted By: CaribLee

Re: Uber or similar on SXM? - 04/17/2024 10:19 PM

I know why your name is Trippe. Apparently you take a lot of them.

cheers
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Uber or similar on SXM? - 04/17/2024 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by CaribLee
I know why your name is Trippe. Apparently you take a lot of them.

cheers

Maybe it has to do with wild mushrooms.😜

Re: Uber or similar on SXM? - 04/17/2024 11:19 PM

Mercy. OK.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline