TravelTalkOnline

Luis Swimsuits

Posted By: jandj

Luis Swimsuits - 04/28/2024 03:17 PM

I’m sure it’s somewhere on the forum already but does anyone have the contact info for Luis? Saw him on the beach yesterday and have a potential customer for him today. He told us he has a new swimsuit shop somewhere on the island.
Posted By: TJTrippe

Re: Luis Swimsuits - 04/28/2024 04:46 PM

Beware. He lays on a lot of hurricane guilt and has promised a custom price and fabric pick and then steers to a ready made of a fabric you may not want at the same price. He is a charmer but can leave you with an expensive suit.
Posted By: kim

Re: Luis Swimsuits - 04/28/2024 05:00 PM

And I heard he wasn’t even on island for Irma!!! Two different vendors on Orient told me that!

Re: Luis Swimsuits - 04/28/2024 05:17 PM

Thanks for the heads up. We’ve purchased quite a few swimsuits from Luis over the years and always found that we pretty much received what we paid for. But that was 15+ years ago. This is our first time back to SXM since the hurricane of 2017. Perhaps things have changed with Luis. At any rate, thanks again for your comments.
Posted By: indi

Re: Luis Swimsuits - 04/28/2024 05:45 PM

Welcome back to the island! Enjoy!!!!!
Posted By: jeepers

Re: Luis Swimsuits - 04/28/2024 06:40 PM

Ok here's my take on Luis & his bathing suits. I bought 2 from him 2 years ago for total of $450. I picked material & style that fits me best. I love the material & they fit perfectly. He sells in kiosk right near Orange fever. His income through Irma would've been non existent unless he worked elsewhere. I can't get a swimsuit equal to that fabric at home. He's not there before 11 usually but he delivers bathing suits next day.

Re: Luis Swimsuits - 04/28/2024 09:17 PM

Thanks Indi - all the best to you and Matt - miss you guys

Re: Luis Swimsuits - 04/28/2024 09:22 PM

Jeepers - we were always leased with his suits. But you said it was about 2013 when you bought yours. There isn’t anything behind Orange Fever any longer - the hurricane that o care of that. Luis himself told us yesterday that he now has a “real shop” elsewhere on the island. Like you, my wife has ALWAYS been leased with the fabric and fit of her suits.

Re: Luis Swimsuits - 04/28/2024 09:28 PM

My post says 2 years ago so it was January 2022. In January this year he had a spot beside Orange fever facing the water not behind. We had a chat in front of his booth.
Posted By: Southbound

Re: Luis Swimsuits - 04/29/2024 04:38 PM

jandj, what do you mean by you were "leased" with his suits and the fabric and fit?
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Luis Swimsuits - 04/29/2024 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Southbound
jandj, what do you mean by you were "leased" with his suits and the fabric and fit?

I bet the p of pleased is missing and auto correct took over on second time.

Re: Luis Swimsuits - 05/01/2024 10:40 AM

Sorry for the typo - yes, should have read “PLEASED” - my wife was ALWAYS happy with Linus’s suits, both fabric and fit. He’s always been “straight up” with us on pricing, quality and delivery. Yes, his suits have always been expensive but, they are a custom made suit and my wife found a ton of value in that.

Re: Luis Swimsuits - 05/01/2024 10:41 AM

Yep - another typo - sorry, small iPhone keyboard 😱🤭

Re: Luis Swimsuits - 05/01/2024 07:17 PM

For $225/suit I hope it was what you wanted and it lasts. We wouldn’t pay that much for sure even after drinking at the Perch.
Posted By: bostonbob

Re: Luis Swimsuits - 05/01/2024 08:07 PM

If you were drinking at the perch,you wouldn’t need a suit from Luis😂

Re: Luis Swimsuits - 05/01/2024 08:33 PM

It's exactly what I wanted. Beautiful fabric I picked & my style. I have a hard time finding bathing suits that fit right. These are custom & they last & individual.

Re: Luis Swimsuits - 05/02/2024 03:13 AM

Good. I like the guy. He is a charmer and a good salesman. Just make sure you get what you want and we’re promised at the price you expected. Hope he does well satisfying customers expectations.

Re: Luis Swimsuits - 05/02/2024 02:42 PM

He's a good Bull Sh*ter and will say stuff that is questionable and unsubstantiated by fact. Had a hard time shaking him a couple of times on Orient when he stopped by strolling the beach.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Luis Swimsuits - 05/02/2024 02:58 PM

"shacking" him? Shaking him?

Re: Luis Swimsuits - 05/02/2024 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Carol_Hill
"shacking" him? Shaking him?

Thanks for pointing that out.
Posted By: bethandsteve

Re: Luis Swimsuits - 05/03/2024 12:00 PM

Saw Luis yesterday at Orient. He was selling some handmade jewelry. He said he lost his spot on Orient because he was months behind on his rent payments.
Posted By: bdeeley

Re: Luis Swimsuits - 05/04/2024 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by SXMScubaman
He's a good Bull Sh*ter and will say stuff that is questionable and unsubstantiated by fact.

Is that statement an excerpt from your autobiography?

Re: Luis Swimsuits - 05/04/2024 03:36 AM

Whatever you want to call it or believe in your mind.
Posted By: Colour1

Re: Luis Swimsuits - 05/05/2024 12:46 PM

He's full of "IT" I will tell you. We bought suits from him. Long story short they didn't even last two seasons on SXM only!! I also question, if he is the actual tailor!!!??? Andy would say, he got a lot of SH * T with himself, getting women to undress to "fit" them with the right size cups!!! LOL!!!

Re: Luis Swimsuits - 05/05/2024 05:05 PM

I do not have to undress to be fitted. My bathing suit tops are tankini style no bra fitting. I bought these bathing suits in 2022 & they are still in great shape worn in our condo indoor pool as well. Difference in material I guess.
Posted By: fabila

Re: Luis Swimsuits - 05/05/2024 05:11 PM

Luis insisted I remove my top to fit me which I was not comfortable with but did it. I refused to remove my bottom, no reason. The top was horrible when we got it back. Asked him to redo and still was not happy. $240 for a bikini and tank coverup ten years ago was more than I would have paid for a designer suit. Total bust for me. I get my swimsuits online at swimsuits for all and they fit perfectly. David’s matching bottom stretched out after a few wears. One and done.

Glad some others have been satisfied. We were not.

Re: Luis Swimsuits - 05/05/2024 05:15 PM

My wife gets hers from Endless Summer in St Maarten. They have a shop in Simpson Bay across from the Mailbox and also in Philipsburg. Great quality and selection.
Posted By: Southshore

Re: Luis Swimsuits - 05/05/2024 06:09 PM

My experience was similar to Fabila's. I'm not a prude but found his requirements for measuring for the suit invasive and unnecessarily intimate. Thought my husband was going to take a swing at him. My husband apologized to me afterwards, as he had been the one to suggest I get a custom-made suit. It wasn't a particularly good fit.

Last suit I bought came from Costco. It was stretched out over a cardboard body-shape. Caused a few laughs as I took it to the car in the shopping cart!
Posted By: wct49

Re: Luis Swimsuits - 05/07/2024 04:57 PM

Saw him every day. His spot is still next to Orange Fever although there is nothing in it. He mostly naps there. He didnt have much inventory with him, when he tried to sell Deb something. Pretty pitiful.
She bought from Adam and Eve this year.

Re: Luis Swimsuits - 05/08/2024 01:12 AM

Haha I know. Didn’t stop him from crawling under our yellow umbrella to tell us his history tales.
Posted By: Colour1

Re: Luis Swimsuits - 05/08/2024 11:15 AM

The woman that owns Adam and Eve is so nice and I can't remember her name! I have bought more than a few suits from her. ALL have lasted a lot longer than I thought! As I said I wore Luis's suit for maybe two seasons at SXM and it nearly fell off coming out of the water on Orient beach!!
Posted By: pat

Re: Luis Swimsuits - 05/08/2024 02:31 PM

Dave,
At least you were on the right beach if that should happen. 😊😊😊😊😊😊😊
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline