TravelTalkOnline

Really miss any 50’s 60’s rock and roll

Posted By: DannynGinger

Really miss any 50’s 60’s rock and roll - 05/05/2024 03:14 AM

Being a drummer for 60 years , wife and I miss all of the oldies music that used to be at a lot of clubs around st Maarten.
Really nothing like that anymore. Maybe just getting old but miss Bob Craig and a lot of the other bands that use to play at the clubs.
Oh well I guess that is just a thing of the past..
Seems everything now is just reggae music 🥱
Posted By: timnboston

Re: Really miss any 50’s 60’s rock and roll - 05/05/2024 10:47 AM

Try "Hole in the Wall" in Maho- a geezer myself, but I usually enjoy the music there - if I can stay up late enough lol! music doesn't start until nine-ish.
Posted By: Colour1

Re: Really miss any 50’s 60’s rock and roll - 05/05/2024 11:48 AM

It's a shame, the clubs are catering to the "house" music!!! We would change our evening plans to go see Dave Morris. Who would play for three hours straight. From Floyd to the Beatles. He told me, he can't get work on the island. There was a time where he would be booked from October to April and go back to France, Nice and play those gigs! As you said, we to, a lot older and burning the midnight hour isn't at the top of the list anymore! LOL!!!
Posted By: The_Lurker

Re: Really miss any 50’s 60’s rock and roll - 05/05/2024 04:12 PM

Bobby Barron plays at Secret Seafood on Wednesday nights from 7 to 9.

Easier to see him there than Hole IN the Wall.
Plus have a nice dinner,

Here he is :

Attached picture IMG_9927.jpeg
Attached picture IMG_9922.jpeg
Attached picture IMG_9833.jpeg
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: Really miss any 50’s 60’s rock and roll - 05/05/2024 04:16 PM

"Maybe just getting old but miss Bob Craig and a lot of the other bands that use to play at the clubs.

Bob Craig and Bob Barron are one and the same. He sings all over
Posted By: SirRichard

Re: Really miss any 50’s 60’s rock and roll - 05/06/2024 01:03 PM

Unfortunately time passes on, in twenty years people will be posting "where can I go to listen to 90's music?" Then in 30 years it will be "doesn't anyone play house music anymore?"
Posted By: SurferMike

Re: Really miss any 50’s 60’s rock and roll - 05/06/2024 04:11 PM

Years ago we saw a great reggae band (yes, with electric guitars, keyboards and a drummer) at Kim Shaw beach. This was before Roxy took over and demolished the small bar. Craig used the same band and musicians at this beach bar on another night. The next best band we saw was at the original Karraters. It was a great guitar player and a drummer/ keyboard player. Don’t remember his name but they were very talented. Probably the best act we saw was quite awhile ago at some Tex mex restaurant in Simpson Bay. It was two young guys, one on guitar and the other playing big bongo drums. The funny thing about them, the music they played was all ‘60’s and early ‘70’s. Songs you would hear on AM radio. When the locals came in on this Friday night, they removed all glass containers from the tables and replaced them with plastic. The crowd went crazy dancing and loving the music.
Posted By: Zanshin

Re: Really miss any 50’s 60’s rock and roll - 05/06/2024 05:39 PM

The Squall plays old Led Zeppelin (see https://www.facebook.com/Squallsxm/) and Rock & Roll night is every Thursday at the Soggy Dollar Bar.

Re: Really miss any 50’s 60’s rock and roll - 05/06/2024 09:37 PM

Remember when Ian played at the buccaneer beach bar, played with his band a lot. Unfortunately he passed away years ago.
Played at sunset beach bar when Neil owned it. Played at so many places across the island with rock and roll bands.
Guess I’m going back too many years.
Must be getting old 🫣

Re: Really miss any 50’s 60’s rock and roll - 05/06/2024 09:40 PM

Used to walk tp to the French drummer that played with Bob and would take over drumming in the middle of a song and it may be 2 or 3 songs before they knew we switched drummers. 😀😀😀
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline