TravelTalkOnline

When in Rome?

Posted By: sxmsandbum

When in Rome? - 08/10/2014 04:25 PM

Will post this on Afloat as well but have a couple questions for those in the know. We are taking a cruise to the Med next year. Never cruised nor been to Italy. The plan is to fly into Rome Sunday and do the sites before catching our cruise on Wed. When we return the following Wed. from the cruise portion we will not arrive in time for a flight home the same day. Here is my questions...

1. Is there anything to see or do out by the airport if we get a hotel out there before our flight?

2. Good places to eat by airport that you would recommend?

3. Airport hotels you would recommend?

Thanks!
Posted By: TomB

Re: When in Rome? - 08/11/2014 01:11 AM

Consider flying into Pisa and slowly work your way to Rome.

Arrive early and adjust.

On this board you have heard about island time. Will in Europe they think the islanders are in a hurry. You are taking a lifetime type trip - do not cut it short.

People laugh at me, but I always say, "I have not been on vacation that the Credit Union could not afford" Enjoy!
Posted By: mdoyle9999

Re: When in Rome? - 08/11/2014 09:16 AM

There is a Hilton Hotel connected to the airport by a covered walkway. It is a long walk, but the hotel is quite nice. They run a free shuttle into Rome, which would make it easy to go into the city for dinner.
Posted By: GaKaye

Re: When in Rome? - 08/20/2014 12:10 AM

I agree with the suggestion of the airport Hilton, although depending on what terminal your flight arrives at, you might need to take a shuttle to get to the hotel rather than walk. It's a good distance from the airport into downtown Rome, but if the hotel shuttle is free (which I can't confirm as we didn't use it), then take advantage of that and enjoy the history of Rome.

I can recommend Life Restaurant in Rome; it is absolutely fabulous. It is near the Spanish Steps, not anywhere near the airport, but you'll be there for a few days, so you have time!
Posted By: sxmsandbum

Re: When in Rome? - 08/21/2014 02:17 AM

Thanks...we have a room reserved out by Airport. Will try the Life Restaurant on pre cruise itinerary while staying un Rome. Still looking for places to eat by the airport for post cruise one night before flying home.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline