TravelTalkOnline

European Getaway now possible!

Posted By: TomB

European Getaway now possible! - 08/22/2020 04:23 PM

USA Travelers are you ready for a European Getaway!
The time is now!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Sunnykm

Re: European Getaway now possible! - 08/22/2020 04:25 PM

Haha Tom! Saw your headline and my heart leaped!
Posted By: LarryEdgar

Re: European Getaway now possible! - 08/22/2020 06:04 PM

Genius! Made my day. I need a good laugh so thanks for that Tom.
Posted By: xrayman67

Re: European Getaway now possible! - 08/22/2020 10:30 PM

Heading to Helen, GA in a couple months for Octoberfest. Does that count?
Posted By: TomB

Re: European Getaway now possible! - 08/22/2020 11:39 PM

Swing over to I-75 and Dublin is not too far off the beaten track for a stout wink
Posted By: EllenS

Re: European Getaway now possible! - 08/23/2020 12:23 AM

I’m a fan of a good Oktoberfest. I’ll have to look into that.
Posted By: Jeannius

Re: European Getaway now possible! - 08/23/2020 08:11 AM

Excellent. Could have included Birmingham in the tour as well. Let me see if I can find a photo of Birmingham, UK, that makes it look like it is worth a visit. Might not be that easy

[Linked Image]

Birmingham does claim to have more canals than Venice` ( https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjo...ver-network/birmingham-canal-navigations ) but they are not perhaps quite as picturesque.
Posted By: BEERMAN

Re: European Getaway now possible! - 08/23/2020 11:59 AM

Haaaa!!!! You did get my attention!! We had lunch with my mom in Berlin two weeks ago!!
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: European Getaway now possible! - 08/23/2020 01:29 PM

Tom--there is a Paris in Virginia also. Dear friends of ours, Jim and Mary Ruos, lived near there. Jim has passed, unfortunately, but it always gave us kind of a giggle to travel to Paris..
Posted By: Zanshin

Re: European Getaway now possible! - 08/23/2020 02:59 PM

I lived and worked just outside of Birmingham for a while and it is certainly worth a visit. I wish that they spoke English there, though... Their native language is "Brommie" which bears only a superficial resemblance to what we consider to be modern English. I got along well after a bit, but will not forget listening to the night watchman at the place I was working (next to Spaghetti Junction) tell me a story for at least 10 minutes and not understanding a single sentence. But I nodded my head at the appropriate pauses and that seemed to satisfy him.
Posted By: sleepychef

Re: European Getaway now possible! - 08/23/2020 03:40 PM

Brommie is spoken in a Minor key in England one of the only accents to do so, its why it grinds you to listen to them
Posted By: Jeannius

Re: European Getaway now possible! - 08/23/2020 07:00 PM

Is that right? Never knew why it sounds so unpleasant and, as Zanshin said, unintelligible, just know that it does. Funnily enough, the neighbouring Black Country accent sounds quite pleasant although equally as hard to understand.

I'm a Scouser and my home city's accent divides opinions. It can sound wonderful but also pretty horrible and be difficult to understand. Having left at 8 years old though and lived in several different parts of England (and the BVI for a couple of years) my accent is pretty hard to identify.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline