TravelTalkOnline

Exumas Sailing Trip Report: 12/1 - 12/8

Posted By: Matt W

Exumas Sailing Trip Report: 12/1 - 12/8 - 01/13/2022 01:53 PM

Here's a link to my blog post about our December sailing trip in the Exumas.

Sailing the Exumas in December

TLDR:
- Had great weather (although light winds on some days) and no cold fronts to deal with
- Loved the Bali 5.4
- Checked out some anchorages that were new to us
- Finally landed a wahoo
Posted By: TravelHat

Re: Exumas Sailing Trip Report: 12/1 - 12/8 - 01/14/2022 02:56 AM

Thanks Matt. Makes me want to plan.
Posted By: Eva

Re: Exumas Sailing Trip Report: 12/1 - 12/8 - 01/14/2022 12:45 PM

Nice! Living vicariously through you. Can't wait to do it again myself.
Posted By: leighj00

Re: Exumas Sailing Trip Report: 12/1 - 12/8 - 06/28/2023 02:02 PM

Hi, we are planning to do a bareboat trip in Feb in the Exumas, hoping to book through NavTours (i.e. DYC). Thanks for your detailed report! Couple quick questions, how long did it take for you to get from Nassau to your first stop in the Exumas? How much concern should we have about seasickness on that first (long) leg of the trip? Thank you!
Posted By: Matt W

Re: Exumas Sailing Trip Report: 12/1 - 12/8 - 07/06/2023 04:34 PM

We usually book with DYC/Navtours since we like their catamaran options better than the Moorings. The Exumas are more expensive right now than other destinations. Moorings probably a bit pricier but not by much.

I'd plan for 5-6 hours to cross the Yellow Bank, but it really depends on wind speed/direction and if you plan to sail or motor. If the wind is light out of the east, might take you a bit longer if you sail. As far as seasickness, just depends on the weather. You'll get more protection the closer you get to the cays under prevailing conditions. We motored across a few years ago with the tail end of TS Alberto giving us 20+ knots on the nose. Was not fun for some of the crew, but everyone preferred that to staying at Palm Cay an extra day.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline