TravelTalkOnline

Cost of hiking tours Dominica

Posted By: BarefootLife43

Cost of hiking tours Dominica - 04/26/2014 10:41 AM

If there's anyone who's been to Dominica recently and can give us some advice, we'd appreciate it. We're on a boat in Portsmouth and were quoted by our boatboy that it would be $1800EC (almost $700 US) for 3 half-day hiking tours. It's just too much money for us. Anyone have any luck finding their own tours or using the bus system? Thanks.
Lann
Posted By: Fletch

Re: Cost of hiking tours Dominica - 04/26/2014 12:51 PM

How many people are in your group? Tour operators usually charge by the person and they usually want a minimum of 4 people. If you try booking online some "booking engines" will automatically calculate the 4 person price even if you have only 2 people in your party so it might be better to contact the tour operator directly so they can pair you up with others.

We just got back from Dominica and spent anywhere from around $50US to $95US per person depending on the length of the hike.

Google "Dominica hiking tours" for lots of links - here's just one: www.khattstours.com

Re: Cost of hiking tours Dominica - 04/27/2014 10:26 AM

Thanks for the reply. We did go on a tour with 6 people in our group and we saw the others were paying $60/person, so that's what we paid. I think you are correct that we were quoted as if we were going with just the two of us. Thanks for the link!
Posted By: sail445

Cost of hiking tours Dominica - 04/27/2014 11:32 PM

The tour in the long run is the most economical way to go because 99% of the the roads don't have names and you'll be lost
Posted By: Sunset_Sammy

Re: Cost of hiking tours Dominica - 04/29/2014 12:17 PM

We always use Seacat but he is based south of Roseau, his price for a hike to boiling lake, with a stop at a small village for some homemade rum, was $40 US per person. He is in the Doyle guide if anyone needs his phone number.

Re: Cost of hiking tours Dominica - 04/29/2014 07:18 PM

Sunset_Sammy said:
We always use Seacat but he is based south of Roseau, his price for a hike to boiling lake, with a stop at a small village for some homemade rum, was $40 US per person. He is in the Doyle guide if anyone needs his phone number.

Did you anchor/moor in Roseau and if yes on a monohull? How was it? We leave tomorrow morning and will spend at least one night there. If it's not bad we may stay for more than one night and do some other tour like Boiling Lake. Thanks for the info. And right now, for reference, Portsmouth anchorage is very rolly for us monohulls. Daytime seems to be okay (I'm rolling a bit right now) but night time is torture!
Lann
Posted By: CrazyCanuxx

! boiling lake - 04/30/2014 07:00 AM

so? did u hike boiling lake? how was ur journey?

i hiked 2 yrs ago and still cherish the experience... its hard, tough, exhilarating and character building. just know that if u decide tomorro to try it you are of a special ilk.

luv boiling lake for every aching muscle... cherish the moments n know that u r still alive and better for it, enjoy.

i cant wait to do the hike again this fall. dominica is always in my heart!
Posted By: Sunset_Sammy

Re: ! boiling lake - 04/30/2014 02:50 PM

SeaCat has some moorings behind his house, just south of Roseau(walking distance) we were on a mono and it wasn't folly when we were there. I haven't hiked boiling lake, but some of the crew have and it's very difficult(harder than La Soufriere in St Vincent). Victoria falls is a nice hike with no mountains to cross and very beautiful when you get there
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline