TravelTalkOnline

Cicada invasion!

Posted By: BEERMAN

Cicada invasion! - 05/24/2021 02:19 PM

We live in Virginia and and the Brood X family of Cicada's is emerging after 17 years under ground, thousands in our yard! Our English Springer shows some interest, ate 2 that we've witnessed. Read a couple articles stating that although not poisonous if eaten, but has caused intestinal issues in some dogs. In an attempt to control her diet I've resorted to using the shop vacuum! In the second pic is my first harvest of 5 gallons worth in just one day!!! How are they in your area?

Attached picture Cicada1.jpg
Attached picture Cicada2.jpg
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Cicada invasion! - 05/24/2021 02:34 PM

Oh, gross!! Thank god that cicadas are ONE type of bug we don't have here!!

Re: Cicada invasion! - 05/24/2021 03:27 PM

Carol, we were in St Augustine a couple weeks ago, the full grown palmettos are kinda gross and much faster than these!!
Posted By: phillygirl7

Re: Cicada invasion! - 05/24/2021 03:37 PM

I hope the cicadas are not able to eat through the bag and you have to do it again!

Re: Cicada invasion! - 05/24/2021 03:56 PM

You made me wonder...bag in trash can still holding!! Will start second round today, they just keep hatching!! I read 4-6 week cycle, geez! Do you have them?
Posted By: phillygirl7

Re: Cicada invasion! - 05/24/2021 04:39 PM

We live in Wisconsin, at our cabin we get May flies, sometimes they hatch more than once per season. They are harmless unless you leave your boat uncovered, then they are splayed everywhere on a boat. If they have a useful purpose, I don't know what that is. I guess maybe the bats get extra feeding on those things.

Re: Cicada invasion! - 05/24/2021 05:15 PM

Yes, palmetto bugs are quite gross, but I've never been then in numbers like those cicadas!
Posted By: sxmmartini

Re: Cicada invasion! - 05/24/2021 07:34 PM

Oh my! I am in the Northeast so too early to tell what will invade our rural area. Hopefully not Cicadas, we do have a tick problem so bug spray is needed outdoors. Hopefully no aliens will zoom down from UFO’s this June.
I put out a hummingbird feeder and have two hummingbirds visiting everyday.

Re: Cicada invasion! - 05/24/2021 10:01 PM

Just pulled another tick off of me today! I put spectracide along our wood line, but I still get a couple on me each year. Neighbor caught Limes years ago, I've been fortunate so far. Hate ticks.

Re: Cicada invasion! - 05/24/2021 11:55 PM

Ticks gross me out, for sure!!
Posted By: cwoody

Re: Cicada invasion! - 06/02/2021 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by BEERMAN
How are they in your area?

They started emerging a couple of weeks ago. In full "SING" now.

NVA Cicadas

Measured at a steady 75db yesterday!

Re: Cicada invasion! - 06/02/2021 01:16 PM

They have been loud!! Because my dog finds them edible I've been shop vac'ing them once daily, hundreds in 30 minutes worth of work!. Yesterday I built a smoky bonfire with old punky wood and noticed a big difference in our back yard and deck areas! Another couple weeks of this nuisance!!
Posted By: sxmmartini

Re: Cicada invasion! - 06/07/2021 07:56 PM

https://mobile.twitter.com/laurynricketts/status/1401929258642067458

Cicada invasion being picked up on radar...

Re: Cicada invasion! - 06/07/2021 08:23 PM

We are in that circle!!
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline