TravelTalkOnline

Putting virus in perspective

Posted By: SXMScubaman

Putting virus in perspective - 04/10/2020 12:12 AM

To put the pandemic into perspective in 1918 US population was 103,268,000 with 675,000 deaths. US population now is 333,546,000 with now a projected 60,000 deaths and not near that yet.
Not making light of this just putting the facts out there.
Posted By: cruzer

Re: Putting virus in perspective - 04/10/2020 12:29 AM

I'm not minimizing your stats, but bear in mind that the 9/11 death count was 2996, and we had a major reaction to that.
Posted By: PelicanPirate

Re: Putting virus in perspective - 04/10/2020 02:10 AM

It is hard for anybody to put things in perspective for many reasons such as: 1) people died for all sorts of ailments including childbirth itself and it was a fact of life, 2) people toughed out alot of illnesses without meds/healtcare whereas now we head to the doc for a pill or two for everything, 3) data can display on a daily basis infections by county just like doppler weather radar can show every tiny rotation of air that might be a tornado, 4) we are more sensitive to everything, 5) we seem to care more or empathize with everythiNg and everyone. 6) we have TTOL to post and share every news article.

In perspective, this will be largely about alot of older people with preexisting conditions were taken away prematurely.

I would expect an annual tally and tracing of influenza deaths and alot more teleworking when sick.

I know my work was a rotating cough fest in Nov-Jan started largely by one lady who hacked the whole time.

I went to SXM with a litlle remnant that I thought a beach chair in the sun would burn off. It didnt fully whack it.

Was that covid or just the usual flu that my doc said it was.

We are told locally this social distancing game has killed the local flu completely.

Re: Putting virus in perspective - 04/10/2020 02:46 AM

Maybe you're one of the ground zero contributors. Ever thought of that?
Posted By: PelicanPirate

Re: Putting virus in perspective - 04/10/2020 03:08 AM

In December, wow that would be something. I was in Asia in July and there were lots of Chinese at the Shangri La hotel in Bangkok.

Maybe that was it. But if that is the case the incubation period is 5 months.
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Putting virus in perspective - 04/10/2020 09:12 AM

The Swine Flu (H1N1) was attributed to approx 12,500 US deaths in 2009-2010. Does anybody remember it?

Re: Putting virus in perspective - 04/10/2020 02:43 PM

Yes. And not as much media hype.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline