TravelTalkOnline

Mussels

Posted By: Ellieg

Mussels - 07/11/2014 07:43 PM

I'm thinking of making mussels on the stove top. Any good recipes? Can you buy mussels cleaned and debearded? We love shell fish, particularly mussels in white wine and garlic. Perfect summer night here on the east end. Thanks
Posted By: Eric_Hill

Re: Mussels - 07/12/2014 12:53 PM

Here is a thread from several years ago that might get you started.

Favortie Mussels Recipes
Posted By: caribbeanscout

Re: Mussels - 07/25/2014 08:40 PM

not a fan of mussels, but here's a recipe that i've made and it received high marks from the two who ate them:

steamed mussels with galangal

1 lb mussels
fresh galangal, peeled and julienned, approximately 1/3 cup
6 kaffir lime leaves, roughly chopped

for the sauce:
2T sugar
3T fish sauce
3T lemon juice
red chilies, lightly crushed, to taste

scrub mussels under cold water, scraping any barnacles or beards. on high heat place mussels in heavy pot. add the galangal and kaffir lime leaves, stir, the cover. shake the pan to toss the ingredients every so often for approximately 6mins or until the shells have opened. discard any mussels that do not open.

ladle the sauce over the mussels and serve.
Posted By: GaKaye

Re: Mussels - 07/26/2014 09:36 PM

I've never been able to find galangal; is there a substitute?

Re: Mussels - 07/27/2014 01:07 AM

Ginger, although not the same, but in the same family and certainly easier to come by. Btw, there's an article in this month's Bon Appetit for red curry mussels.

Re: Mussels - 07/27/2014 07:16 PM

http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/red-curry-mussels
Posted By: GaKaye

Re: Mussels - 07/29/2014 12:56 AM

Thanks, L
Posted By: fabila

Re: Mussels - 08/03/2014 10:33 PM

This sounds wonderful. We have an HMart in our town so galangal is easy to find. I have the other ingredients.

All of the mussel dishes I've made or eaten were tomato sauce or wine/cream based where you could dip crusty bread into the sauce/broth.

What do you do with the broth from this recipe, if anything? Maybe pour mussels and broth over soba noodles?

Re: Mussels - 08/25/2014 03:58 AM

please share how it turns out if you do make it. i don't eat it, just make it for others. great idea with the soba noodles!
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline