TravelTalkOnline

Brown Butter Sauce

Posted By: SuburbanDharma

Brown Butter Sauce - 11/19/2012 01:55 PM

I made a Sage brown butter sauce last night to go on hubby's awesome homemade pasta and while it came out really good, I don't really care for sage!

I rarely use that much butter on ANYTHING but I wanted to highlight the pasta with something decadent that wouldn't overshadow it. Has anyone ever tried brown butter sauce with flat-leaf parsley or some herb other than sage?

I'm thinking we'll make butternut ravioli with leftover thanksgiving squash but don't want to use sage for the sauce.
Posted By: DawnB

Re: Brown Butter Sauce - 11/19/2012 02:36 PM

My family background is Italian, and we've always just used Romano cheese, fresh ground pepper, some Italian parsley, and add a bit of really good Extra Virgin Olive oil as well.

Tastes great and doesn't overshadow the filling in the ravioli.

Re: Brown Butter Sauce - 11/19/2012 02:40 PM

That's not only a great idea, it's healthier than all that BUTTER!

And I have tons of great olive oils from our new local olive oil store AND my own parsley growing...will only need to buy a little good cheese!

Re: Brown Butter Sauce - 11/19/2012 02:45 PM

Oh, there's butter in there too! Just a little more olive oil than butter! ~grins~
Posted By: Bow_Rider

Re: Brown Butter Sauce - 11/19/2012 05:08 PM

We made butternut squash ravioli for a dinner party here a couple of weeks ago and my husband made a mushroom sauce with olive oil, portabella and crimini mushrooms, a little garlic and a splash of port. He also toasted some pine nuts with cinnamon which tied all the flavors together in an interesting way. This may be more flavor than you are looking for though we didn't slather with the sauce, just put on a little and everyone loved it.

Re: Brown Butter Sauce - 11/19/2012 05:14 PM

Mmm... sounds great! I'll have to try the pine nuts with cinnamon! Did you mix the nuts in with the sauce?
Posted By: Bow_Rider

Re: Brown Butter Sauce - 11/19/2012 05:38 PM

We let folks sprinkle the nuts so they could have the amount they wanted. My husband put the pine nuts with a smidgen of olive oil and the cinnamon together in a fry pan and toasted them until fragrant. He said next time he'd toast the nuts a bit then add the oil and cinnamon at the end, he wanted the nuts little more toasted than they came out, it was just nitpicking though, I loved them. There were some leftover and I used them on salads at lunch. The cinnamon we have, by the way, is Vietnamese cinnamon "flakes" that we fresh grind, we are certified cinnamon snobs!

Re: Brown Butter Sauce - 11/19/2012 06:25 PM

Thanks! Will have to try it!

Re: Brown Butter Sauce - 11/19/2012 10:38 PM

That sounds ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS, though I can't have pine nuts...

But will try it when we're home alone, because my family will be here for the weekend & my dad will eat anything EXCEPT mushrooms!

Many thanks to both of you!!
Posted By: GaKaye

Re: Brown Butter Sauce - 11/20/2012 08:22 PM

I love sage in brown butter sauce, but it can be overpowering. If reducing the amount doesn't work for you, you might try fresh tarragon. Just a thought, and I have no experience using tarragon in brown butter sauce, but it makes sense to me.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline