TravelTalkOnline

Dream Yacht Charters?

Posted By: SeanS

Dream Yacht Charters? - 01/09/2015 03:22 AM

Just booked a charter with Dream Yacht Charters in La Paz, Mexico. Little hesitant since all my past charters (approx. 10) have been with the Moorings. Looking for some reassurance on my selection and maybe some comment on the difference in service level, etc. between the two companies. Know my charter is in Mexico not BVI but figured someone might have some general info to share -- this seems to be where all the sailors hang out. Thanks!

Sean
Posted By: beerMe

Re: Dream Yacht Charters? - 01/09/2015 07:44 AM

Can't answer but I've been considering them for Antigua, BVI and maybe someday La Paz. Would love any info available.
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: Dream Yacht Charters? - 01/09/2015 12:30 PM

They are the largest charter company in the world and offer better option on boats. Their NA Vice President was a long term charter boat owner so I think he brings a good perspective to management.
G
Posted By: warren460

Re: Dream Yacht Charters? - 01/09/2015 12:32 PM

Dream is larger than moorings? Really? I'm surprised. Where did gory come out of to overtake moorings.
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: Dream Yacht Charters? - 01/09/2015 01:00 PM

Dream yachts has been huge in Europe and the Med. They are new in the Caribbean.
G
Posted By: jbuch02

Re: Dream Yacht Charters? - 01/09/2015 01:02 PM

I have a charter booked with their BVI operation at Hodges Creek in July. I bought owners time and the owners placed their new Beneteau 41 with them after extensive research and comparisons. They liked that you are dealing with sailors not managers at the BVI operation, that you are a sailor and not a contract number and the friendly, relaxed nature of this smaller operation compared to some of the other larger ones. One of the reasons they placed their boat in charter with DYC was the wide diversity of sailing locations worldwide they could take advantage of.
Posted By: Lcrich

Re: Dream Yacht Charters? - 01/09/2015 02:42 PM

We are huge fans of DYC. Have only chartered twice with them in Tortola but we have found them to be extremely helpful, courteous and the price is always right. The manager on hand, Yan runs a great crew.
Posted By: tmsxmsails

Re: Dream Yacht Charters? - 01/09/2015 02:43 PM

I looked into them for a charter on St. Martin after going with the Moorings there (and BVI in the past). They had some restrictions that I didn't like - had to spend the first night at the dock, had to refuel before returning the boat (like Sunsail it seems).

They were also located inside the Simpson bay lagoon which means that you needed to time your ins and outs to the bridge openings (not relevant for BVI I know).

We did end up anchored next to one at St. Barts. Nice looking cat except for the tacky www.DREAMYACHTCHARTERS.COM emblazoned across the hulls.

All in all, it didn't appeal to me but I have no other direct experience. Ended up going with The Moorings again and have nothing but good things to say about them.

Tom
Posted By: Winterstale

Re: Dream Yacht Charters? - 01/09/2015 02:52 PM

beerMe said:
Can't answer but I've been considering them for Antigua, BVI and maybe someday La Paz. Would love any info available.

We have thought about La Paz from time to time as well since we're so close. Have you ever sailed there?
Posted By: Jollymon2

Re: Dream Yacht Charters? - 01/09/2015 04:13 PM

Chartered out of La Paz years ago (20yrs). At that time Moorings was the only charter Company in the area. One thing you should know is when you leave La Paz into the sea of Cortez....you are ON YOUR OWN! There are no restaurants, no moorings, no boats, (except local fishermen) Some very nice bays to anchor in and the fishing is great. We had a great time but you must store a weeks worth of food and cook all your meals. Also take a good medical kit with you....you will be miles away from medical services all the time. If you want to get away......The sea of cortez is the place to go!
Jollymon
Posted By: StormJib

Re: Dream Yacht Charters? - 01/09/2015 07:04 PM

We used them twice years ago in Martinique. Dreams had large catamarans long before anyone else. The Moorings has owned the BVI for a long time. Not so much for the rest of the world. 450 Boats in 36 locations. Dreams started in the Seychelles and operates from a more European culture. Some American's who have not ventured far from home may chafe at the different approach at times. Dream already has 50 foot cats in Cuba.
Posted By: SeanS

Re: Dream Yacht Charters? - 01/10/2015 02:25 AM

Appreciate everyone's observations. We chartered with Moorings in La Paz about 5yrs ago and loved it and wanted to return. As you say, extremely remote with no services (went days without seeing anyone other than a few local fishermen). Sorry to see that Moorings no longer has a base there. Dream Yacht Charters seems to be the only game in town. We're booked with them for June on a Dufour 455. Will let everyone know how it goes.

Sean
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline