TravelTalkOnline

Water Taxi's from USVI

Posted By: Orange_Burst

Water Taxi's from USVI - 01/14/2015 08:23 PM

Here is an article about the water taxi's coming from USVI.

http://www.bvibeacon.com/1/index.php/new...svi-water-taxis
Posted By: tradewinds

Re: Water Taxi's from USVI - 01/14/2015 08:33 PM

Doesn't sound like "we're working on it" is gonna happen anytime soon.
Posted By: Orange_Burst

Re: Water Taxi's from USVI - 01/14/2015 08:37 PM

The way I read it is, "that is the way it has always been and we don't intend to change anything"
Posted By: tradewinds

Re: Water Taxi's from USVI - 01/14/2015 08:46 PM

Same here, but the water taxi companies are telling their guests "we're working on it."
Posted By: HillsideView

Re: Water Taxi's from USVI - 01/14/2015 09:01 PM

"Unless they obtain special permission". Hmmmm. "Special permission", not a "trade license". Pretty obvious the whole intent is "drop off their passengers, who then have to find other modes of transportation to their final destinations".
Then, in typical gub'mint doublespeak, "We indicated to them they couldn’t do business here without the proper licences and permits,” he said."
So which is it? Special permission? Licenses and permits? Or is it just the poor,suffering taxi man with the million dollar mortgage talking?
Posted By: StormJib

Re: Water Taxi's from USVI - 01/14/2015 09:09 PM

Long ago the British Virgin Islands decided they want visitors to use their airport and their taxis. One could certainly make some safety and regulatory claims. The reality is closer to local taxes, revenue, jobs, and politics.

The best solution would be a 1st class tourist ferry operation at STT taking everyone, everywhere. There are politicians and businesses on both side of the border that do not want that to happen. My two cents either use EIS or charter from St. Thomas. We have done both with equal success. In most cases you will lose two nights of beach bar time with the St. Thomas start and stop.
Posted By: Cratti

Re: Water Taxi's from USVI - 01/14/2015 10:58 PM

Lovely. Coming down next week and booked a taxi from STT to JVD. Were then hoping they could take us to Little JVD to meet our group. Looks like we will need alternate plans. (Taxi company just told us last week it was still possible).
Posted By: sail2wind

Re: Water Taxi's from USVI - 01/14/2015 11:12 PM

make sure your pricing is all up front, if they are dropping you off at main dock, you might as well check in on your own and save $50 pp service charge.
Posted By: Kimber

Re: Water Taxi's from USVI - 01/15/2015 12:14 AM

I don't understand how you are losing two nights of beach time.
Posted By: SoakInSaltwater

Re: Water Taxi's from USVI - 01/15/2015 12:18 AM

I wonder how the day trippers to White Bay work it out with checking in at Great Harbor first and then transporting their guests to WB. Assuming, of course, they do check in

Re: Water Taxi's from USVI - 01/15/2015 01:08 AM

They are licensed to do so. They are tour companies, not taxis.

Re: Water Taxi's from USVI - 01/15/2015 01:35 PM

I said Beach Bar Time. If charter from St. Thomas you may actually increase the beaches and quality of the beaches when you consider just St. John. What you will most likely give up that some think is important is the realistic ability to spend every night anchored to the bottom with a bar ashore. The two nights in the USVI will be dinner and drinks aboard for most crews. When we can find the boat we want we always start in St. Thomas and live the evenings at Leinster. We no longer ride the ferries. They are just not worth the trouble and risk.
Posted By: Kimber

Re: Water Taxi's from USVI - 01/15/2015 03:04 PM

Are you familiar with Dinghy's? http://dinghysbeachbarandgrill.com

More and more people are realizing that it's more fun to control their own transportation (drive their own charter boat) rather than be held captive by the random schedule of the ferries.

Enjoy your trip.
Posted By: NCSailor

Re: Water Taxi's from USVI - 01/15/2015 05:10 PM

StormJib said:
I said Beach Bar Time. If charter from St. Thomas you may actually increase the beaches and quality of the beaches when you consider just St. John. What you will most likely give up that some think is important is the realistic ability to spend every night anchored to the bottom with a bar ashore. The two nights in the USVI will be dinner and drinks aboard for most crews. When we can find the boat we want we always start in St. Thomas and live the evenings at Leinster. We no longer ride the ferries. They are just not worth the trouble and risk.

This makes no sense. There is no difference in "beach bar time" between flying into SJU then connecting to EIS vs flying into STT and taking the ferry.
Posted By: HillsideView

Re: Water Taxi's from USVI - 01/15/2015 05:13 PM

Just follows the pattern.

Re: Water Taxi's from USVI - 01/15/2015 11:09 PM

Kimber said:
I don't understand how you are losing two nights of beach time.

Most who charter out of St. Thomas end up in very nice anchorages for the first and last night. Great Beaches and Great Anchorages. Most of those anchorages do not have the beach bars ashore that so many on TTOL plan their dream itinerary around.

Re: Water Taxi's from USVI - 01/15/2015 11:11 PM

Oh, so you are losing 2 nights of bar hopping, not beach time.

Re: Water Taxi's from USVI - 01/15/2015 11:17 PM

Yes original quote "you lose two nights of beach bar time".....
Posted By: NCSailor

Re: Water Taxi's from USVI - 01/16/2015 09:14 AM

Ron,
I still don't get it but be patient with me. If I fly into STT and sleep aboard then sail to JVD in the morning how am I losing "beach bar time" vs taking the ferry to Tortola and doing the sleep aboard there?
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline