TravelTalkOnline

Where to go for Kite Surfing in the BIVs?

Posted By: sunbvi

Where to go for Kite Surfing in the BIVs? - 03/16/2015 10:31 PM

We did some beginners kite surf lessons long long time ago and would like to start again a little bit kite surfing the next time we are in the BVIs. Does anybody know a kite surf station in the BVIs which is fine for beginners?
Posted By: BrentCummings

Re: Where to go for Kite Surfing in the BIVs? - 03/16/2015 10:40 PM

Bitter End. Virgin Gorda. Not sure of the name of the business but it's right on the beach at the Bitter End resort.
Posted By: warren460

Re: Where to go for Kite Surfing in the BIVs? - 03/17/2015 12:58 AM

Anegada beach club too
Posted By: CaptainCarts

Re: Where to go for Kite Surfing in the BIVs? - 03/17/2015 10:51 AM

Get in touch with Scott Allerton at Carib Kiteboarding, which operates out of Bitter End. www.caribkiteboarding.com
Posted By: RonP

Re: Where to go for Kite Surfing in the BIVs? - 03/18/2015 12:42 AM

Saw some folks doing this at Long Bay Beef Island a while back. They brought their own equipment since there's nothing there, but whether they rented it locally, not sure.
Posted By: MrEZgoin

Re: Where to go for Kite Surfing in the BIVs? - 03/18/2015 02:10 AM

I can also recommend caribkiteboarding... have taken some lessons with them.
Posted By: sunbvi

Re: Where to go for Kite Surfing in the BIVs? - 03/18/2015 11:04 AM

Hi MrEZgoin,
have you been a beginner? And how long did it take you with them till you were able to kite?
Posted By: JasonHelmbrecht

Re: Where to go for Kite Surfing in the BIVs? - 03/18/2015 12:46 PM

The kitesurfing is great several place on Anegada. The nice part is there are several beach and you can move depending on the wind direction if necessary.

At Anegada Beach Club, Tommy runs a new kitesurfing school. He can do some tune up lessons for your group, has rental equipment, and most importantly has a dinghy in the water in case someone got into trouble and needs help. The prevailing wind there is parallel to the beach so its great for beginner kiters.
Posted By: MrEZgoin

Re: Where to go for Kite Surfing in the BIVs? - 03/18/2015 01:02 PM

sunbvi said:
Hi MrEZgoin,
have you been a beginner? And how long did it take you with them till you were able to kite?

Yes, I was a near beginner, having only taken one course in Aruba ten years ago when the equipment was quite different.

Usually they will start you out flying a small kit from the beach to learn the controls. Then some body dragging in the water. Then from the boat in deeper water. I was able to get up and ride some distance, but I have a lot of watersports background. Changing direction is more challenging. I will say I felt a lot safer with Caribkiteboarding than I did in Aruba, where one guy in a dinghy was managing 3 students bodydragging out to sea in an offshore wind.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline