TravelTalkOnline

BLACK MAMBA

Posted By: Murdock

BLACK MAMBA - 06/25/2015 08:53 PM

Just returned from a great trip in the BVI. During the trip our group had the pleasure of encountering the 'Black Mamba' at high speed approximately 5 feet away from our vessel multiple times.

I don't know who was driving, as it was going 50+ mph and we were stopped, but whoever was driving certainly only cared for themselves....apparently the driver was offering joy rides from the Willy T to the entrance of the Bight and back...took all of about 30 seconds...

Anyway, curious if any of you all has had the pleasure, and if you have any comments to share...

https://southernboating.com/tag/black-mamba/
Posted By: SailOrion

Re: BLACK MAMBA - 06/25/2015 09:40 PM

First I've heard of it and exactly the opposite of what we love about the BVI. - Mark
Posted By: Teammac

Re: BLACK MAMBA - 06/25/2015 10:25 PM

When that Bozo circled the Willy T at full throttle his wake tore up a day trip boat at the dock. The day trip boat owner was going straight to this guys office in St Thomas to file a claim. It is a miracle he did not kill a swimmer or mow down a dinghy while driving at least 50 knots through a mooring field. Someone said the boat was owned by a guy who owns OtterBox but that is just probably hearsay.
Posted By: sail2wind

Re: BLACK MAMBA - 06/26/2015 01:01 AM

The guy who owns Otterbox, Curt Richardson lives in Ft.Collins, Co and is part owner in Voyage Yachts. I can not imagine him approving this dangerous activity, probably hearsay
Posted By: HtownHondo

Re: BLACK MAMBA - 06/26/2015 01:35 AM

That "fly by" wreaked of some dispute at the Willy-T and after making it out to the Indians at full bore, the pilot decided to make a doughnut around the Willy-T. I think it was the owner of the day boat that went on the dock to show his frustration as the Mamba completed his "statement" and sped off.

The link Murdock posted sure points to Richardson as the owner, but not necessarily as the pilot. I hope for his sake, this was an unauthorized use of the boat as so many here speak highly of Voyage and I hope he would not condone such a careless act.

Re: BLACK MAMBA - 06/26/2015 05:11 AM

I'd like to reiterate that I don't have any idea who was driving the RIB...but that it screamed by our boat, within at least 5' at top speed. Whoever was driving was endangering lives and property, and paying no attention to anyone.

Re: BLACK MAMBA - 06/26/2015 05:18 AM

I was unaware of Mr. Richardson's affiliation to Voyage, but perhaps someone there will understand the significance of what we, and it would appear others, witnessed Friday, June 19, and pass the message along.

"I'm not sure how, or if, anyone I have sent this message to (Otter or Voyage) would be able/willing to forward to Curt Richardson, or to someone close to him, but if you could, I (and I believe others) would be grateful following an incident that occurred off Norman Island this past Friday, June 19, 2016, in the early afternoon.

Our charter group had just arrived and hooked up to a mooring ball near the Willy T. We were doing various boat related things when I heard and saw the 'Black Mamba' screaming towards our boat at top speed from the Willy T headed towards the Bight entrance. Black Mamba passed our stern within 5 feet, and within 3 feet of an additional 21' RIB we had attached stern-to on an adjacent mooring ball at full speed.

The Black Mamba pilot reached the Bight's entrance, turned around and steered the RIB back to the Willy T at top speed, paused briefly, and did a donut around the Willy T at high speed, and finally headed off again toward the Bight entrance.

It's been nearly a week and I thought about not saying anything, but someone really should be made aware of how careless the boat's pilot was/is. Had anyone been swimming, they'd have had zero chance of getting out of the way.

Thank you for your time,

"
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: BLACK MAMBA - 06/26/2015 11:28 AM

I had heard Voyage had a ownership change and a investor had come in to keep the company in operation. Perhaps he is the investor.
G
Posted By: NoelHall

Re: BLACK MAMBA - 06/28/2015 01:47 AM

https://southernboating.com/tag/black-mamba/
Posted By: jbuch02

Re: BLACK MAMBA - 06/28/2015 01:58 AM

If I've got this right, people with money to burn like this don't give a rat's [censored] about what others might think about them regardless of how outlandish or unsafe their behavior might be.
Posted By: jboothe

Re: BLACK MAMBA - 06/28/2015 03:09 AM

jbuch02 said:
If I've got this right, people with money to burn like this don't give a rat's [censored] about what others might think about them regardless of how outlandish or unsafe their behavior might be.

I think that true for some people no matter how much money they have. I've seen some pretty poor people that don't give a rat's [censored] about what others might think about them regardless of how outlandish or unsafe their behavior might be.
Posted By: LocalSailor

Re: BLACK MAMBA - 06/28/2015 04:29 AM

$450,000 - well that sorta explains some of it.
Posted By: Manpot

Re: BLACK MAMBA - 06/28/2015 12:57 PM

Let us know how this pans out..this appalls me and should be dealt with..
Posted By: TomSW

Re: BLACK MAMBA - 06/28/2015 01:18 PM

No, you don't have it right. Idiots come in all different income brackets. IMHO the rich do better at behavior than most.
Posted By: AndyPIT

Re: BLACK MAMBA - 06/28/2015 10:53 PM

Maybe someone will steal his dinghy...
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline