TravelTalkOnline

Taking Ferry After Flying Into STT

Posted By: 3rdTimesaCharm

Taking Ferry After Flying Into STT - 10/20/2015 06:08 PM

A few months ago I was lurking this board and I came across a posting with hints on easing the chaos of landing at STT and making your way to the ferry dock. Now I can neither find that post or recall the advice. Anyone have some practical advice on how to navigate the St. Thomas airport-to-ferry gauntlet?

[The advice in the previous post had something to do with paying a small fee to someone local to streamline the process ... I think.]
Posted By: indianaph

Re: Taking Ferry After Flying Into STT - 10/20/2015 06:21 PM

I would recommend that you text Kevin Campbell. His number is 340-643-0025

This may have been the link: Kevin Campbell
Posted By: tradewinds

Re: Taking Ferry After Flying Into STT - 10/20/2015 06:51 PM

Text Kevin Campbell at 340-643-0025 with your info. He'll know your ferry options and get your there painlessly. Give him a few days notice before your arrival.

Re: Taking Ferry After Flying Into STT - 10/20/2015 08:54 PM

I've flown into STT twice many years ago. Am I correct in remembering that we don't need to clear customs there. Customs is cleared at the Road Town Ferry Dock, correct?

That wasn't the link, but thank you! Great info and I'll be giving Kevin a shout as well.
Posted By: GlennA

Re: Taking Ferry After Flying Into STT - 10/20/2015 09:11 PM

The USVI is a US posesion so you don't need a passport or go through C&I on arival. Arriving in the BVI you do need your passport and will clear at West End or Road Town. Kevin is the best way to in sure a smooth transition from airport to ferry.

On the return you clear into the USVI at the ferry dock at Charlotte Amalie or Cruz Bay if going to Red Hook. At the airport you will clear into the US proper but I understand they have eliminated the forms recently. (Can someone confirm?)

STT can be a real PITA on weekends so hiring a skycap is a good idea if you have checked baggage and time is tight. To them, time is money so they have ways of shortcutting the lines.
Posted By: JasonHelmbrecht

Re: Taking Ferry After Flying Into STT - 10/20/2015 09:21 PM

GlennA said: At the airport you will clear into the US proper but I understand they have eliminated the forms recently. (Can someone confirm?)

Confirmed - they eliminated the forms on September 7th.

Re: Taking Ferry After Flying Into STT - 10/20/2015 09:46 PM

Much appreciated!
Posted By: TackingAg

Re: Taking Ferry After Flying Into STT - 10/20/2015 10:35 PM

No hassles at all if you've given yourself the time after landing. Easy to stumble out and pick up a taxi if you don't have one reserved. You'll typically pay per-person and per-bag, so it will seem steep to pay $20-25 for two to share a packed van for a 10-minute ride, but who cares when you're on vacation. Buy a 1-way ferry ticket for the next one leaving (confirming that they haven't broken down or are on a delay). Arrive in Road Town, small line, check through customs. Catch another taxi depending on your charter plans. You're on your way. Just in reverse on the way back, which typically takes longer. You were probably thinking of the optional porter at the STT airport when you're leaving. I don't have experience with them (but may consider it), but I understand that can help you move through the security line faster during a busy day or season. But getting on the ferry from the airport is easy. Have fun!
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: Taking Ferry After Flying Into STT - 10/21/2015 01:25 AM

Just be aware the small line in roadtown may not always be the case. Took over an hour the last two times we went through.
G
Posted By: HillsideView

Re: Taking Ferry After Flying Into STT - 10/21/2015 01:53 AM

Sit as close to the exit as possible, especially on Saturday or Sunday afternoons.The folks coming back from their shopping adventures in St Thomas can slow things up a bit.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline