TravelTalkOnline

Navigation app for iPhone/iPad

Posted By: Michel_Benarrosh

Navigation app for iPhone/iPad - 10/31/2015 03:10 PM

Hi all:

Getting ready for another charter in paradise. I just bought iNavX for the ipad and iphone and despite the great reviews, i am a little disappointed by the interface, which is not too intuitive.

Do any of you have used a software you would recommend hands down?

Thank you very much in advance.
Posted By: SurfandSail

Re: Navigation app for iPhone/iPad - 10/31/2015 03:28 PM

Navionics. Works great! Download the Charts for Caribbean/South America
Posted By: Will_L

Re: Navigation app for iPhone/iPad - 10/31/2015 03:29 PM

Hi, The Chart plotter on our boat is Garmn and have the Garmin app on IPad and phone..seems to work very well.
Posted By: warren460

Re: Navigation app for iPhone/iPad - 10/31/2015 04:33 PM

I have better luck with naviocs than INAVX. Simple and intuitive. Very basic and very handy.
Posted By: TackingAg

Re: Navigation app for iPhone/iPad - 10/31/2015 10:54 PM

I've used iNavX on previous BVI trips (and lake sailing). Just started testing out the Garmin BlueChart app on the iPad and iPhone. It's definitely more intuitive to set up and purchase/install charts. I also find it nice (or at least entertaining) that ActiveCaptain feeds right into it. Basic GRIB seems to come with it but you upgrade to more advanced services. Purchasing charts is done directly through the software and the Apple App Store. Much easier than using X-Traverse. Again, haven't used it on the water yet, but it's pretty easy to pick up.

Here is a promo video for it...

Garmin BlueChart Video
Posted By: Jccarr

Re: Navigation app for iPhone/iPad - 10/31/2015 11:13 PM

Make sure your iPad has 3G/4g, if it does it has a built in GPS. No need for any connection you just need the GPS. The iPad's without the connective 3G 4g also are missing the GPS and will require an external GPS.
Posted By: warren460

Re: Navigation app for iPhone/iPad - 10/31/2015 11:14 PM

The blue chart video looks interesting. Thank you for posting it
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: Navigation app for iPhone/iPad - 11/01/2015 01:20 AM

I am using the garmin Blue Charts also. It has been a easy to use software package on the IPad and the charting seems very accurate in the BVI. I also used the software to move a boat to the US and it worked well.
G
Posted By: jandj

Re: Navigation app for iPhone/iPad - 11/01/2015 01:03 PM

I downloaded and used i-Boating Nautical Charts this past May/June for my charter in the BVI's/USVI's and loved it. I used it on my Android tablet but it's available for iPad too. Very easy to visually add your desired routes into the chart using touchscreen. The zoom function works well also. Just my two cents.
Posted By: Yachtmaster

Re: Navigation app for iPhone/iPad - 11/01/2015 09:32 PM

For navigating in the Caribbean, Navionics works just fine with both the iPhone and iPad for me. For more precise navigation, I use Rose Point Coastal Explorer with C-Map charting on my Windows laptop computer. But truth be told, Navionics on the iPad and iPhone works pretty darn good......
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline