TravelTalkOnline

Driving tour of Virgin Gorda

Posted By: SailNDive

Driving tour of Virgin Gorda - 11/16/2015 12:20 AM

Hi All.
Looking at renting a car at Leverick and touring the island. How long does it take to drive to the Baths from there? What are other highlights we should hit as we go around the island?
Thanks for any advice or tips.
Posted By: charlie

Re: Driving tour of Virgin Gorda - 11/16/2015 12:36 AM

Hmm...if you have your snorkel gear, you will love it. If you don't, you will love it. My best bet for you is to log on to the Guavaberry Spring Bay web page, click on the info link and print out the map of VG, separate by North Sound and South Sound and check out all of the bay's listed, including Savannah (SP) Bay, Mt. Trunk, etc. Oh, and don't forget the Copper Mine Nat'l Park. And, of course, the Bath's...but, after you go to the park service office and pay your $3. admission, take the left behind the office toward Devil's Bay, and half way down take the left to Stony Bay. Make sure you have your camera. There is a trail from the three Stony Bay's over to Devil's Bay, and a backward's trail through the Bath's, and then up the hill to the Top of the Bath's...and Mad Dog's...
Posted By: stoneyusaf

Re: Driving tour of Virgin Gorda - 11/16/2015 12:40 AM

Hog Heaven is a must see!! Savannah Bay.....must stop there. Coco Maya! Leverick on Friday night.
Posted By: salica

Re: Driving tour of Virgin Gorda - 11/16/2015 11:36 AM

No one has yet answered the original question. Driving round VG is comparatively easy. From Leverrickto the Baths is about half an hour, depending on how many stops you make. No where is really more than a half hour drive from anywhere. But there is loads to explore and enjoy!! Roads are pretty empty and well surfaced. Very few, if any sign posts, but very difficult to get lost!
Posted By: macaroni

Re: Driving tour of Virgin Gorda - 11/16/2015 02:12 PM

It will not take much more than 15 minutes....go to the Baths early, maybe lunch at top of the baths, snorkel at Spring Bay and Savannah, afternoon drinks or a late lunch at Hog Heaven.....
Posted By: RickinAtlanta

Re: Driving tour of Virgin Gorda - 11/16/2015 04:47 PM

macaroni said:
It will not take much more than 15 minutes....go to the Baths early, maybe lunch at top of the baths, snorkel at Spring Bay and Savannah, afternoon drinks or a late lunch at Hog Heaven.....

From Leverick to The Baths is a good 30 minutes but a very easy ride!
Posted By: salica

Re: Driving tour of Virgin Gorda - 11/16/2015 05:05 PM

macaroni said:

At that speed you will miss all the sights. Maybe possible if you do the journey daily, but far from the norm for a visitor.
Posted By: Sandsailsun

Re: Driving tour of Virgin Gorda - 11/16/2015 05:27 PM

This is a short video Rick Moore from Sophistocated Lady made leaving from Leverick.... gives you a little taste of what it may be like.....heaven

http://youtu.be/19vvuaGe1CA
Posted By: Murdock

Re: Driving tour of Virgin Gorda - 11/16/2015 06:24 PM

SailNDive-

I always like to point this out....as the road's I travel on daily in Texas are much flatter than those on VG.

While the roads are very well paved, and there is relatively little traffic on the island, you will be climbing and descending a lot in your rental.

For most that's probably not a big deal, but moving our crew around in an unfamiliar vehicle on unfamiliar roads, in darkness (the first time), made the excursion feel less like a vacation and more like a job...I'll note too that I stayed completely sober for the jaunt.

The following day was much better, daylight, and having made the pass twice already, made things at least seem a little less stressful.

In addition to the above mentioned things, there are observation points along the trip that should not be missed - bring a tripod and self timer camera and you can get everyone included in the shot...Hog Heaven is a must do stop IMO.
Posted By: JasonHelmbrecht

Re: Driving tour of Virgin Gorda - 11/16/2015 06:38 PM

Also take note of the speed "dips" in the road. They are designed like speed bumps but if you are not going slow when you cross one, it's pretty easy to toss someone out of the back of an open air truck...
Posted By: SailNDive

Re: Driving tour of Virgin Gorda - 11/17/2015 02:38 PM

Thank you all so much for your tips, advice and links! We are really looking forward to our trip!
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline