TravelTalkOnline

Morgan Freeman's Shannon

Posted By: LocalSailor

Morgan Freeman's Shannon - 02/09/2016 04:56 PM

I hope this doesn't transgress any forum protocols but I found it interesting - it is a charity sale if that matters.

A famous man and his well known vessel.
I have met him here on occasion over the years and it is sad that he is not going to be sailing his boat in the BVI anymore.

https://virgin.craigslist.org/bod/5438801739.html
Posted By: StormJib

Re: Morgan Freeman's Shannon - 02/09/2016 05:18 PM

Thank You for sharing. Many interesting stories. No matter how nice the person or the thought that the funds may be routed to a "charity". That price is steep for a 1996 used boat sitting in the caribbean.

"All offers must be over $500,000"

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2001/Shannon-43-2906158/Portsmouth/RI/United-States#.Vroex1QrJdh
Posted By: jboothe

Re: Morgan Freeman's Shannon - 02/09/2016 07:48 PM

StormJib said:
Thank You for sharing. Many interesting stories. No matter how nice the person or the thought that the funds may be routed to a "charity". That price is steep for a 1996 used boat sitting in the caribbean.

That was definitely my first thought.
Posted By: Manpot

Re: Morgan Freeman's Shannon - 02/09/2016 08:34 PM

Celebrity ownership counts for a lot...check out the recent prices of ex Steve McQueen Porsches..cant believe Morgan will quit sailing..over the years of interviewing him it was obvious sailing and the BVI's were very dear to him..hope he's getting another boat..
Posted By: salica

Re: Morgan Freeman's Shannon - 02/09/2016 09:32 PM

jboothe said:
StormJib said:

That was definitely my first thought.

I've got a 43' for $75K or near offer...... 2005, but we're not celebrities to anyone other than ourselves!
Posted By: jagmansr

Re: Morgan Freeman's Shan - 02/10/2016 12:26 AM

Please, how can you compare boats and cars? Steve McQueen's cars and bikes are purely investments that don't get driven. They fit in a climate controlled building nicely and come out for select events or to be auctioned again. Boats don't have that luxury. Bottom line, it's over priced and doubtful it it sell at the asking bid.
Posted By: StormJib

Re: Morgan Freeman's Shannon - 02/10/2016 12:29 AM

Manpot said:
Celebrity ownership counts for a lot...check out the recent prices of ex Steve McQueen Porsches..cant believe Morgan will quit sailing..over the years of interviewing him it was obvious sailing and the BVI's were very dear to him..hope he's getting another boat..

Almost 80, bad auto accident serious mobility and control issues in a hand and shoulder. Some other recent very near misses. Morgan has said very publicly his days of single handing are behind him.
Posted By: Will_L

Re: Morgan Freeman's Shannon - 02/10/2016 02:02 AM

Heard from a couple sources that Morgan's ex wife now has the property on VG during our January stay. May or not be accurate, but if so it is possible why he no longer wants the vessel. I'd forgotten the name and passed it several times in the yard going to CRC engines during or trip. For the charity I hope there is someone interested in the celeb factor.
Posted By: sail445

Re: Morgan Freeman's Shannon - 02/10/2016 06:54 AM

I agree and am curious to what charity it goes to.
Posted By: Zanshin

Re: Morgan Freeman's Shannon - 02/10/2016 02:20 PM

I've been docked next Morgan Freeman aboard his "Afrodesia" and seen it on the hard a number of times. While a pretty boat built by a renowned boatyard, it isn't quite as pristine as the price tag would make it seem. While I'm not sanguine about the chances of it selling for that high a price, I'm sure whatever charity the proceeds go to will be more than happy.
Posted By: sail445

Re: Morgan Freeman's Shannon - 02/10/2016 02:28 PM

I'm sure the charity will appreciate it, but I would imagine that anyone contemplating purchasing it would want to know what charity(s) are going to benefit.
I was also docked in front of his boat at the Moorings dock in Grenada in 2002 when they had their first tropical storm in about fifty years.
Posted By: mattt

Re: Morgan Freeman's Shannon - 02/13/2016 07:21 AM

We have also been docked next to this boat. Its pretty, but I recall thinking the brightwork wasn't kept up.
Posted By: ggffrr11

Re: Morgan Freeman's Shannon - 02/13/2016 11:16 PM

I don't see the "buy it now" button
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline