TravelTalkOnline

Pirates at Norman Island $$$

Posted By: rmoretti49

Pirates at Norman Island $$$ - 05/12/2016 08:19 PM

Not sure if anyone has commented upon this previously, but....

I've been to Pirates many times over the years, but our last trip had been three years ago. This time (last week), I was surprised and unhappy to experience the dramatic increase in the price of drinks. This is worst at their "club" on the left side of the beach, where a common drink such as a painkiller was $14. There were no drinks less than $12. Even juices were outrageously priced. At the regular restaurant, drinks were still about $10. This will be an anchorage where, in the future, we don't drink ashore.

Food prices at the restaurant were also considerably more expensive than I remember them being, but the quality had definitely improved.
Posted By: RickG

Re: Pirates at Norman Island $$$ - 05/12/2016 08:28 PM

Yep, we saw $16 Bushwackers in March.

Cheers, RickG
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: Pirates at Norman Island $$$ - 05/12/2016 08:58 PM

Prices seem to have soared most places. I was surprised to pay 9 dollars for a painkiller at cow wreck. I guess that was not so bad!
G
Posted By: Zanshin

Re: Pirates at Norman Island $$$ - 05/12/2016 10:13 PM

Just wait until Mal reads this thread and tells the story of the wine he bought at that same "club" side of the new establishment!
Posted By: stevelon

Re: Pirates at Norman Island $$$ - 05/12/2016 10:16 PM

Guess we make our own. I use Walkers directions and make it by the gallon. A boda bag or some other container might be in order. Hood River Insulated Stainless Steel Frigid Flask Vacuum Sealed Black 32 oz for Hot or Cold Drinks 100% Guarantee Life Time Warranty
Posted By: Manpot

Re: Pirates at Norman Island $$$ - 05/12/2016 11:21 PM

$20 wines and they add a service charge at the bar...AVOID!
Posted By: Zanshin

Re: Pirates at Norman Island $$$ - 05/13/2016 12:10 AM

Just to explain Mal's post - that $20 wasn't for a bottle, but what he was charged when just asked for a glass of red...
Posted By: TackingAg

Re: Pirates at Norman Island $$$ - 05/13/2016 01:02 AM

Agreed. Went ashore in January. Last time I'll go there without a cocktail already in my hand for the dinghy ride. I think the PK's were about $12 - for happy hour.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Pirates at Norman Island $$$ - 05/13/2016 01:37 AM

Yikes. That is crazy..
Posted By: Manpot

Re: Pirates at Norman Island $$$ - 05/13/2016 02:53 AM

It was $20 for a glass of Beringer I can buy a bottle of for $8..plus service charge..and a barkeep who thinks its hilarious when you point it out..no thanks..
Posted By: leeguice

Re: Pirates at Norman Island $$$ - 05/13/2016 12:28 PM

Killing the goose!!!!!
Posted By: macpete

Re: Pirates at Norman Island $$$ - 05/13/2016 12:29 PM

Livin' up to their name is my guess...my favourite is the 15% "service" charge applied to have the wait staff show up at your table. Shame really, could be a great spot, but someone has to pay for the new build. But until the cruisers vote with their wallets, expect little to change.
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: Pirates at Norman Island $$$ - 05/13/2016 01:23 PM

I miss Billy Bones!
Posted By: d_fish

Re: Pirates at Norman Island $$$ - 05/17/2016 09:39 PM

The prices for drinks are crazy! We typically head ashore for happy hour and/or dinner in every destination we moor to support the local establishments, but this feels like gouging! Drink prices have practically doubled since our first trip.

For our upcoming trip, think we will opt for drinks aboard and moor in Kelly Cove, NI. Do not feel like paying those prices. I do hope word gets back to Pirates as it is a shame, their new venue is quite nice but their prices ridiculous.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline