TravelTalkOnline

CocoMaya

Posted By: Crown31

CocoMaya - 09/01/2016 11:35 AM

Does anyone know what to expect of overnight conditions on a mooring ball off of Coco Maya in the Fall? Looks pretty open to the sea.
Posted By: warren460

Re: CocoMaya - 09/01/2016 11:49 AM

I did not know that there were balls outside coco maya. I have taken a ball outside vgyh. Very exposed to swell. In settled conditions it's fine. Also likely more sheltered than in front of coco maya.
Posted By: maytrix

Re: CocoMaya - 09/01/2016 02:03 PM

I'd just go to Leverick, rent a car and drive. We do two nights there. One night we go out to coco maya, the other we do the BBQ and jumbies at leverick. We explore the island during the day.
Posted By: tradewinds

Re: CocoMaya - 09/01/2016 03:02 PM

Since when are there mooring balls at Coco Maya?
Posted By: sail2wind

Re: CocoMaya - 09/01/2016 04:11 PM

I don't think so, and it looks awful shallow
Posted By: bonefish

Re: CocoMaya - 09/01/2016 07:59 PM

Hmmm, My GPS shows it as an anchorage. 5.9 feet deep tucked in behind the reef. Not sure I would take a large sailboat in there though especially for an overnight.
Posted By: tradewinds

Re: CocoMaya - 09/01/2016 09:36 PM

If I was gonna go in there, I'd get on the dock at Mermaids.
Posted By: Will_L

Re: CocoMaya - 09/01/2016 11:18 PM

Requires local knowledge and doubt charter company wants you in there. Be a good night to take a slip in VGYH and walk or take a taxi down. Don't have to worry about having a designated driver or driving the unfamiliar road at night and you don't have to dinghy out to one of the few moorings outside VGYH a..there is a break over the reef there that I have seen more than one group get in a jam in dinghy

Re: CocoMaya - 09/01/2016 11:38 PM

The Channel behind the reef is well marked as long as you have a working light.

Re: CocoMaya - 09/01/2016 11:44 PM

Yes it is..but .have seen folks turn in to quickly in dink and catch the surf ..

Re: CocoMaya - 09/02/2016 08:17 AM

At least those folks had a light on do you could see them
Posted By: Crown31

Re: CocoMaya - 09/02/2016 12:04 PM

Thanks to all. Haven't looked at charts in depth yet but trying to put a rough list of options together for our group to choose from. Discovering how many venues are closed 1st week of October for our 1st charter (Cooper, Norman, Saba, BEYC, Coco Maya and prob Willy T's). Someone had heard about the Rock Cafe and had asked if getting a mooring ball near them at Coco Maya would be an option. Will probably do Leverick, Scrub, Soggy Dollar, stay on boat at Norman, and maybe Cane Garden.

Re: CocoMaya - 09/02/2016 12:13 PM

One was this winter when I was leaving the marina in broad daylight, two ladies and kids in a dink came across the marked channel from st Thomas anchorage and then headed toward the break. We were honking and waving.. They waved back and finally understood we were not being neighborly and swung back to port and just caught the end of the break. There were surfers out there when we came back. It is well marked and not dangerous with normal attention, but unfamiliarity, rum, fun and darkness sometimes changes things. We stayed in the mooring field there many times when we had a boat in charter and when calm. The last couple years we had the charter boat there were very few public moorings there and not well maintained. We now keep a boat in VGYH. It's a moderate walk or a short cabride to CocoMaya.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline