TravelTalkOnline

How much chain?

Posted By: BoatDrinks2

How much chain? - 03/18/2017 02:26 PM

I often take a look at the soggy dollar webcam to help alleviate DIF...Occasionally there are a bunch of charter (sail and power) boats crammed in front.

For those that anchor in White Bay, how much chain do you typically put out in those "tight" quarters? Or maybe it just appears tight bc of camera angle..I'm unsure of the depth there...

When we visit white bay, we are on Ivans side hooked up to a ball.
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: How much chain? - 03/18/2017 03:00 PM

It's basically 6 feet deep. Add 4 feet for bow roller height and 60 feet is plenty. You could drop that to 45 for a lunch stop in good weather.
G
Posted By: sailbynight

Re: How much chain? - 03/18/2017 04:12 PM

Some of those close-in boats also take a line to shore, keeping them in one spot but messing with anyone anchored nearby that would swing on a normal anchor.
Posted By: scott1269

Re: How much chain? - 03/18/2017 04:21 PM

We were there the other day, VERY tight! 60 ft would put you in contact with 3 or 4 boats. I no longer take the boat in there. I taxi over from Little Harbor.
Posted By: TepeRacing

Re: How much chain? - 03/18/2017 04:36 PM

Its about ten feet deep and a sandy bottom, i typically drop 35 feet of chain and have never had an issue.
Posted By: ggffrr11

Re: How much chain? - 03/18/2017 06:16 PM

If it's calm, we anchor outside of the reef and then dinghy in. rrs

Re: How much chain? - 03/18/2017 09:09 PM

scott1269 said:
We were there the other day, VERY tight! 60 ft would put you in contact with 3 or 4 boats. I no longer take the boat in there. I taxi over from Little Harbor.

It might have been 10 feet deep 40 years ago! I draw 4.5 and have about 18" under the keel. I had a boat that drew 5'10" and could get in but had to be careful. I am talking about the west side.
Posted By: hallucination

Re: How much chain? - 03/18/2017 09:19 PM

My favorite was a 57 Jenneau that anchored with about ~6 inches under his keel for an overnight. when they woke up they couldn't leave. they had a big well under the keel, with a mound of sand that had been displaced. essentially the keel was in the hot tub sized well such that the sand on the sides was 1-2 feet above the keel.

this was in white bay.

Re: How much chain? - 03/18/2017 09:45 PM

The tide can also be a factor. I know someone who got in with a boat drawing 6'6" and stayed all day. Tried to leave at low tide and made it out basically dragging the keel part of the way.
Posted By: sail2wind

Re: How much chain? - 03/19/2017 12:30 AM

BoatDrinks2 said:
I often take a look at the soggy dollar webcam to help alleviate DIF...Occasionally there are a bunch of charter (sail and power) boats crammed in front.

For those that anchor in White Bay, how much chain do you typically put out in those "tight" quarters? Or maybe it just appears tight bc of camera angle..I'm unsure of the depth there...

When we visit white bay, we are on Ivans side hooked up to a ball.

The boats right in front of Soggy Dollar are in 2-3' of water and most don't use a whole of chain if any. It's tough from your question if you mean anchoring further out or close to shore where it's packed.
Posted By: BoatDrinks2

Re: How much chain? - 03/19/2017 02:23 AM

The boats right in front of Soggy Dollar are in 2-3' of water and most don't use a whole of chain if any. It's tough from your question if you mean anchoring further out or close to shore where it's packed. [/quote]

Good point...I'm referring to the boats that appear to be 60-75 feet away from the shore...
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline