TravelTalkOnline

Customs

Posted By: jonurseinor

Customs - 05/15/2017 12:59 PM

Hello, just tying up loose ends, noticed a "new form" on the C&I web page. A permit is required to bring in any meat to the BVI, and costs $25.00? Has anyone who has brought in their own meat recently been required to submit, pay for this? This is new to us as we have never had to pay for our meat going thru C&I in the past, but last time was 3 years ago?
Thank you,
Jolene
Posted By: sunshine44

Re: Customs - 05/15/2017 01:22 PM

From the C & I web page. "Visitors coming from the North America with meat products for consumption during their stay will not have to fill out the application if they are bringing less than 40 lbs. of meat."
Posted By: rigirly

Re: Customs - 05/15/2017 11:02 PM

I recently brought frozen vacuum sealed meat for our charter into the BVI. First time paid 10% duty (I valued it at $100) second time no fee (smaller amount). Declared both times on the form. From what others have posted in the past it may depend on the officer and how busy they are.
Posted By: warren460

Re: Customs - 05/16/2017 03:35 AM

I brought 2 coolers of meat a week ago and had no issues. Everything was declared and I was not charged anything. I even brought a yeti for the boat and was not charged.
Posted By: jonurseinor

Re: Customs - 05/16/2017 03:57 AM

You all are so helpful! Thank you very much for squelching my concerns! We will declare and go with the flow! Wheels up in 4 days!
Jolene
Posted By: Felix

Re: Customs - 05/16/2017 05:12 PM

I've never been charged a duty for bringing in frozen food. Sometimes they don't care at all and don't even ask to look in the cooler. Sometimes I have to open it so they can look in the top. One time, I had to unload the entire cooler, describing each frozen package, and then was asked for an invitation to dinner! LOL

Felix
Posted By: rigirly

Re: Customs - 05/16/2017 06:10 PM

Felix said:
I've never been charged a duty for bringing in frozen food. Sometimes they don't care at all and don't even ask to look in the cooler.

Felix

The time we did pay duty we had arrived via water taxi - customs wasn't busy and the water taxi company had pre-filled out our form. I informed the agent I had meat in the cooler although it wasn't on the form.
Posted By: cindyh

Re: Customs - 05/17/2017 04:42 PM

We always declared $100 and usually paid nothing except if we came in on Fri or Sat. Then we were charged either $10 or $20. Just paid it with a smile and got out of there.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline