TravelTalkOnline

Ferry System

Posted By: GeorgeC1

Ferry System - 09/12/2017 03:53 AM

I have not seen anything posted on the status of the ferries. Did they get moved to St Croix and are safe of did they take a hit?
G
Posted By: GlennA

Re: Ferry System - 09/12/2017 10:59 AM

I counted 3 Smiths boats in various states of repose on warfs and piers. Looks like a pretty bad mashup across from TMM where the Smiths fleet ties up in a couple of Caribbean Buz vids. 2 of Speedy's aground near Collision Point 1 on the breakwater in Spanish Town. One of New Horizon's on top of Sidney's in Little Harbor.

No indication of RTFF or Native Son fleets condition but yesterday RTFF made a government sanctioned evacuation run to STT and was refused landing by HLS. Native son will be attempting another run today. BVI gov seems to be announcing these ferry evacuation runs without getting aproval from the USVI.

BTW, West End terminal is nothing but a slab and a couple of walls.
Posted By: bvilovercgb

Re: Ferry System - 09/12/2017 11:27 AM

Apparently they were turned away as ST does not have any power, so no way to verify passports. It was suggested that they go to St. Croix, or PR for re entry.
Posted By: gracet03

Re: Ferry System - 09/12/2017 04:41 PM

So with the airport is not doing commercial airlines yet,and the ferry system down, are some military planes taking evacuees?

Or are private boats taking people to PR?

I ask this question while i see news headlines like,
"Large accounting and law firms have moved to evacuate staff from the British Virgin Islands"
Posted By: maytrix

Re: Ferry System - 09/12/2017 04:49 PM

Airport is supposed to have flights out today - seems like some flights got some people out yesterday as well.
Posted By: gracet03

Re: Ferry System - 09/12/2017 05:00 PM

I guess these are flights to San Juan, as STT is closed? and SXM also closed ?
Posted By: maytrix

Re: Ferry System - 09/12/2017 05:21 PM

Yes, from what I've seen, all flights to STT. I also some something about a ferry today to STT to get people to the cruise ship. All 2nd/3rd hand at least so I can't speak to the accuracy, but some of it I've seen a few times by different people.
Posted By: NCSailor

Re: Ferry System - 09/12/2017 05:22 PM

STT is closed until at least 9/16. SXM has announced a reopen date.
Posted By: Manpot

Re: Ferry System - 09/12/2017 05:43 PM

Please update any news of ferries from STT to Tortola when you can..thanks and massive thanks for the outpouring of love from many of you..
Posted By: gjconsult

Re: Ferry System - 09/13/2017 02:10 AM

I just saw a woman on news from ST Thomas. Puerto Rican Navy private boats are taking evacuees back to Puerto Rico after dropping off supplies. Not official and she heard through grapevine that they would take mothers with young children only.

She was just told a dock and time. Took them over 2 hrs to get over to Charlotte Amalie from north shore of St Thomas and she just sat on dock with her young child. Boat was 4 hrs late and she didn't know where they were going to sleep if it never showed up.
Posted By: rita_irvine

Re: Ferry System - 09/13/2017 03:33 AM

Speedy has started service between VG and Beef. No Roadtown or St Thomas service currently. Originally only one boat was running, the Delight. Looks like they got the cat off the breakwater wall and it may be in service too.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline